Time travel in the Marvel Universe

teh bunneh

Someone was asking me the other day on Hero Central about time travel in the Marvel Universe, but my Marvel-fu failed me and I was unable to answer. Who has the ability to manipulate and/or travel the time stream?

I know Kang, Immortus, Space Phantom, Dr. Doom's got a time machine... who else? :think:

Re: Time travel in the Marvel Universe

Cable and Phoenix are also a time travelers I believe. As far as Marvel mechanics of time travel I think most of the time is go forward or go to present. I think the Fantastic Four and Dr. Doom did a bit of travel back but I'm not sure if anyone else is. Also, it seems most Marvel Futures are fairly bleak, it's why people keep coming back to change it: Bishop, Cable, Phoenix and a shew of other X-Men who are future selves.

http://www.blogography.com/photos17/EssentialDazzler.jpg

There's the link that Egyptoid got pwned on.

Wasn't there some thing where the Avengers got sent back in time to the old West? And didn't one of the old gunslingers get brought back to the present time? I seem to recall reading about something like this, but not much in the way of real detail.

Cable and Phoenix are also a time travelers I believe. As far as Marvel mechanics of time travel I think most of the time is go forward or go to present. I think the Fantastic Four and Dr. Doom did a bit of travel back but I'm not sure if anyone else is. Also' date=' it seems most Marvel Futures are fairly bleak, it's why people keep coming back to change it: Bishop, Cable, Phoenix and a shew of other X-Men who are future selves.[/quote']

Well we know some futures are bleak. And that's why the people from those bad futures come back to try and change things.

But the future Earths were everything is cool. Why would they bother going back in time for? So we wouldn't see characters from those futures anyway. :)

Marvel's use of time travel is a bit iffy and haphazard. But then, I've never been much for time travel anyway. List of those who can do it:

Mechanical(Time Machine or objects)

Reed Richards, Dr. Doom, I believe Quasar's power bands let him travel through time, Kang, Immortus, Black Panther(limited), Nathaniel Richards, I believe that the Eternals have a time machine and possibly the Inhumans as well

whoever has the Time Gem of the Infinity Gauntlet(I don't remember who had it after Adam Warlock broke up the gems, I think Pip had it at one point)

Powers/Magic

Dr. Strange, Baron Mordo, Ancient One(most of the truly world class sorcerers really), Count Nefaria(I think), Franklin Richards could if he really wanted to and could figure out how to do so with his powers.

There are also a number of "future characters" or characters who have been lost in the time stream. These are characters who have time traveled to the current Earth 666 Marvel Universe. Generally speaking, they are on one way trips, which indicates that 100 years or so in the future, time travel will become, if not common technology, then common enough that everyone knows about it and can find a way to get to a device(albeit possibly by breaking into some place that has such a device).

Phoenix, Bishop. Cable, Fitzroy(are we sensing a pattern here)

I'm pretty sure the Watchers have some temporal abilities.

The Guardians of the Galaxy also traveled through time (machine based, I'm sure).

Has anyone mentioned Magik (Illyanna Rasputin), Limbo aparently existed outside of normal time so anyone traveling through it could move through time.

There was a member of Omega Flight, Flashback, who had the mutant ability to pull future version of himself to the present (any interesting SFX of Duplication).

How are you running time travel, Bill? I thought Marvel had a rule that the past couldn't be changed.

And the Yankee Clipper got a belt that allowed him to time travel from a visitor from the future in the Lost Generation. Someone told me that got moved to an alternate world for some reason.

Maybe because it had Skrulls in it.

CES

as i understand marvels policy on time travel everytime trip creates an alternate timeline universe
Yep. Reed has cured "past-Ben" at least once, but it doesn't do "present-Ben" any good. One of the Runaways had parents from the future, and still has/had (I'm working from collections from my public library, so I'm always out of date on this stuff) a time machine that was either mostly or all out of juice.

caris beat me to a mention of Magik - yep, Limbo + her stepping discs mutant power often led to time travel - in fact that's how the X-Men lost lil' Illyana to one and got a teenage Illyana back a second later. Which means that Belasco, S'ymm, and whatever techno-organic beasties are "still" in Limbo (again, hazy on anything since I stopped buying New Mutants long ago) can time travel, too. Heck, theoretically, anyone or anything that has ever been or ever will be in (that) Limbo could pop out any time.

Add Son of Satan to the list.

Of course Damon Hellstrom can do it now that he's taken over his Daddy's old job,* but he also did it back in the day when he had his own comic book. Went to ancient Atlantis or some such.

[Okay, Brain, now that I've written that fact down, am I allowed to forget it?]

*Purely on merit, of course; he had the best qualifications of any of the hundreds of applications received. The hiring committee extends its best wishes to all applicants in their future endeavours.

I know the Earth-X graphic novel isn't official canon, but it presented an interesting take on time travel. The basic premise is that travel through Limbo allows one to come out at any point in space & time. The twist, though, is that limbo is Dr. Doom's time machine! The implication is that by creating the time machine Dr. Doom actually created Limbo and thus made time travel possible.

From what I remember of an issue of Fantastic Four, Doom and Reed not only understand time travel, but are skilled enough to carry out a temporal war, bouncing back and forth through time to attack each other. This made for a VERY interesting comic, as Reed was jumping through comic panels out of order, with a time code next to him showing which panel he was going to next.

With Marvel, anyone can have time travel if the writer wants to throw something in - heck, I bet even Spider-Man has been able to time travel at one point or another...

Guest Major Tom

Well, there's also the Scarlet Centurion from the Squadron Supreme's universe

(at least, he showed up in the maxi-series that Marvel put out years ago).

Major Tom :cool:

Guest Major Tom

From what I remember of an issue of Fantastic Four, Doom and Reed not only understand time travel, but are skilled enough to carry out a temporal war, bouncing back and forth through time to attack each other. This made for a VERY interesting comic, as Reed was jumping through comic panels out of order, with a time code next to him showing which panel he was going to next.

With Marvel, anyone can have time travel if the writer wants to throw something in - heck, I bet even Spider-Man has been able to time travel at one point or another...

Only if the writers had thought of doing that during the story arc where Spidey

had the Captain Universe powers. If he could transform a box or crate into an

Adamantium container to contain an exploding bomb, then time travel shouldn't

be too difficult.

Major Tom :sneaky:

Hmmm, digging through some old memories, but I believe Illyana's mutant power was her stepping disks, and they allowed time travel as well as geographic displacement -- but I'm not sure if it was related to the fact they seemed to involve a sidetrip through Limbo or not...

iirc, when Franklin was a temporally displaced teen, he referred to himself as a 'PSILord of Elsewhen' and a 'protector of the chosen timelines' -- and at least one Marvel villain recognized him as such in one issue.

Someone was asking me the other day on Hero Central about time travel in the Marvel Universe, but my Marvel-fu failed me and I was unable to answer. Who has the ability to manipulate and/or travel the time stream?

I know Kang, Immortus, Space Phantom, Dr. Doom's got a time machine... who else? :think:

IIRC Space Phantom(s) is/are from Limbo, but don't themselves have any power over time.

Depending on what explanation of her powers you want to believe, Scarlet Witch has the ability to influence time (retroactively making events infinitely more likely).