Champions Sneak Peek #1: The Cover!

Steve Long

Re: Champions Sneak Peek #1: The Cover!

I think, if they had covered up the neck and lower meat parts, I would be fine with the helmet. Hell I'm an Adam Strange fan so I can deal with open face (Toss in the Raanian Hard Light stuff and I'm happier there is a lot of potential with that idea), heh, and I did say, He does look better on that cover then any of his other renditions. Still. If Hit locations are used He's toast.

~Rex

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being held up for comparison to George Perez in his prime isn't a fate I'd wish on any comic-style artist. The man was (and still is) a detail-rendering god. But I do think this composition is more dynamic and gripping than that 4th Edition cover.

Maybe...then again my computer wallpaper is the cover to Avengers/JLA #3 (Look it up if you have not seen it yet)

I think, if they had covered up the neck and lower meat parts, I would be fine with the helmet. Hell I'm an Adam Strange fan so I can deal with open face (Toss in the Raanian Hard Light stuff and I'm happier there is a lot of potential with that idea), heh, and I did say, He does look better on that cover then any of his other renditions. Still. If Hit locations are used He's toast.

~Rex

*Shrug* Force field around the neck and face. Well within comic-book physics precedents. Perhaps Defender's armor is so light and sleek looking because its actual defensive properties are from a force field around the whole body, like Guardian of Marvel's Alpha Flight.

Doesn't have to be an issue at all.

Additionally' date=' I've uploaded the cover as a wallpaper to the Free Stuff page, so if you want to see it when you boot up your computer (and trust me, it looks really cool that way!), go snag yourself a copy. ;)[/quote']

At the time I write this, the link to the smallest, 1280 x 1024 wallpaper doesn't download. The two larger sizes download with no problem.

Heh, how's that line go... "Show me the Force Field!" As for Seeker.....I think I had that write up of the Champions get stuck on a Desert Island, with no chance of rescue. Seeker, is the first person Jaguar hunts down and eats. I see the Logic behind Defenders new look, I just would have gone, a little more Masanume Shirow, and a little less Tron. Over all though, no serious issues.

~Rex

Speaking of good ol' Defender, I was shocked when I saw the write-up in the 6th Ed Basic Rulebook this week and realized just how many points of correspondence there were between him and the Tuskegee Airwoman powered armor character I'd built a few weeks ago in complete ignorance of his stats (same STR, within a point on the armor's resistant defenses, even uses bolo entangles). Clearly, I need to add a bit about the USAF pirating James Harmon's designs to her backstory.

Bloody Oath! Seeker does not talk like that Steve Irwin bloke.

More like Crocodile Dundee (you ever here HIM say Crikey?)

I've never heard Either of them NOT say Crikey? .......

I showed the cover off to a few other folks that don't have computer access at the moment. They like the angled perspective look a lot. Sort of like the Shakey Cam, without the shakey. That sort of In the Scene feel I think has looked pretty good on a lot of the HERO product.

~Rex

*Shrug* Force field around the neck and face. Well within comic-book physics precedents. Perhaps Defender's armor is so light and sleek looking because its actual defensive properties are from a force field around the whole body, like Guardian of Marvel's Alpha Flight.

Doesn't have to be an issue at all.

Works for B-ko from Project: A-ko.

Cryptic was fairly adamant' date=' and rightly so IMO, that their new featured main cover art character not be somebody with hidden facial features. I'm with LL- it's a force field. dw[/quote']

Indeed - I definitely like the Open-Face look of the new Defender; he says Hero that way, open, trusting, not some skulker in an alley.

I just get stuck on the lack of back combined with the side-wing parts running down his jaw... It looks so silly. The bottom half the helmet is in desperate need of changes IMO.

Cryptic was fairly adamant' date=' and rightly so IMO, that their new featured main cover art character not be somebody with hidden facial features. I'm with LL- it's a force field. dw[/quote']

I just hope he doesn't take a hit that knocks a system,like being deep underwater or in space when he needs that life support.:eek:

I just hope he doesn't take a hit that knocks a system' date='like being deep underwater or in space when he needs that life support.:eek:[/quote']

If you're talking about the game mechanics for Focus-breaking, or an Adjustment Power against Life Support, that would be a problem whether or not Defender's helmet is drawn covering his face. SFX only go so far. ;)

I must say that Grond looks much better on this cover without those glowing radioactive pustules on his skin from the game animation. :idjit:

Seeker is one of the big reasons why I like the addition of Combat Luck in 5e. Because genre literature is filled with examples of people who go out and have adventures without visible body armor or regeneration, and if the Hero System can't make that viable, then it's failing a serious genre emulation test. People who ridicule him solely for lack of resistant defences just make me shake my head in sadness.

I'm sorry Seeker was taken out of the Hero Universe (he would have been a perfect showcase for Combat Luck had he been kept in 5th), though I like Nighthawk too. The Aussie's a stereotype on the surface, but there's enough hooks in his background and personality to make him a lot of fun -- and surprisingly deep -- in play.

Especially the post-Watchers of the Dragon Seeker. That book added great depth to the character.

Quite honestly, that book was the first time I really paid any attention to Seeker - and I liked what I saw there.

In the 5e incarnation of my customized setting, there were two wanderers, a man and a woman, who could be found in various parts of the V'Hanian Dimensional Empire. Everyone seemed to know them, but no one spoke of them. But the woman had a glowing jewel that constantly floated nearby...