In Progress From Blackwyrm Games: Mythic America

Susano

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Re: In Progress From Blackwyrm Games: Mythic America

Just in case people were wondering... I'm back on this project. I'm developing Blackbeard at the moment' date=' who's roughly 350 points of scary pirate.[/quote']

That's good to know. Am I correct in assuming this book will have a rather high Pirate-to-Ninja ratio?

Right now? 1 pirate versus 0 ninja.

what would a ninja have to do with myhic america? historically america hadn' heard of he ninja at that point in time

Yeah, but we had Pinkertons and Texas Rangers. I think that should count for something.

Here's a tidbit -- after he was killed, Blackbeard was decapitated and his head was taken back to Virginia. His skull was mounted on a post beside the Hampton River, then it was made into a punch bowl (which has since gone missing.) Anyone running occult-themed adventures for Pulp, Urban Fantasy, Champions, or Horror Hero could have a field day with that one.

Not to mention your Unknown Armies dipsomancers.

Here's a tidbit -- after he was killed' date=' Blackbeard was decapitated and his head was taken back to Virginia. His skull was mounted on a post beside the Hampton River, then it was made into a punch bowl (which has since gone missing.)[/quote']

So what you're saying is, don't drink the punch at this year's Haymaker Jam?

The punchbowl of Blackbeard's head would make a great artifact for Warehouse 13. :D

For a really Bad Combination in postmodern necromancy, have someone steal both items and put Einstein's Brain in Blackbeard's Head and get a Genius Pirate Physicist.

• 4 weeks later...

I've pretty much finished with Peter Francisco. As with Blackbeard, there's a section on contemporary characters who fit the theme (in this case, Continental Soldiers.) For a taste, I offer this:

Samuel Whittemore (1695-1793): A former British army officer, serving as a Captain in the Dragoons in the 1740s, Samuel Whittemore gained distinction as a courageous calvaryman during King George’s War. He later fought in the French and Indian War, participating in, among other conflicts, the siege of Quebec. Then, at the age of 68 he led troops against Chief Pontiac during the brutal Indian Wars before finally settling down in the Massachusetts colony.

In 1775, at the age of 80, Samuel Whittemore was now a Captain in the colonial militia, and when the “shot head around the world” occurred at Concord and Lexington, Captain Whittemore armed himself with a sword, his musket, and a pair of pistols. Positioning himself behind a stone wall, he single-handedly attacked the British 47th Infantry Regiment. Firing his rifle, he killed one solider, then drew his pistols and killed two more men with two shots. Finally, drawing his sword, he then attacked the remaining men.

By this time, the remaining British troops had reached his position. One shot him in the face, while the others bayoneted him a total of thirteen times, leaving him for dead in a pool of his own blood. He as later found, still alive, trying to reload his musket. Taken to Doctor Cotton Tufts of Medford, Massachusetts, he was given no chance of survival. However, not only did Captain Whittemore recover, he lived another 18 years, finally dying at the almost unimaginable age of 98.

In 2005, he was proclaimed the state hero of Massachusetts.

I've completed Davy Crockett, the Backwoodsman. You also get to read about Daniel Boone (who kilt a bar around here), Jim Bowie and the Sandbar Fight, and one of the fathers of the US Army Rangers -- Robert Rodgers. Next is Johnny Appleseed, who probably won''t have any contemporary characters, as he's a rather unique individual. After him... I'll probably look into Alfred Bulltop Stormalong, the 24' tall blue-water sailor, and while most of his contemporaries will be other folkloric sailors, one will be a historical figure -- John Paul Jones, the Father of the American Navy.

• 3 weeks later...

Johnny Appleseed is done. He's a Man of Nature, an archetype that includes John Muir and Ansel Adams. I'm working on Alfred Bulltop Stormalong (Old Stormie) and consider him the Blue-Water Sailor. His entry will also include Barney Beal, Bowleg Bill -- the sea-going cowboy, Ichabod Paddock the whaler, and John Paul Jones, father of the American Navy (the mother, of course, being necessity.) After him, I'll look into Febold Feboldson, who, I think is the Inventor archetype (but in volume II I hope to cover the Mad Scientist in the form of Nikolai Tesla,) Joe Magarac the Occupational Hero (i.e. a "culture hero" for the working man,) John Henry, the Steel-Driver (and another Occupational Hero), Mike Fink, the River Man, Paul Bunyan (the Lumberjack), Pecos Bill (the Cowboy), and Stackalee (the Trickster.) There should also be a Mountain Man, the Outlaw, and a few others of the time (including the Lawman and/or the Gunfighter.)

As I've mentioned before, each of these archetypes will include other characters of a similar concept. For example, Joe Magarac is the Occupational Hero. Along with him I want to mention Slappy Hooper the sign painter, Gib Morgan the oil man, and similar individuals. Since John Henry died on the job, I will probably mention Casey Jones, the train engineer. Mike Fink will include Annie Christmas, another river worker, while Paul Bunyan will mention Tony Beaver (a West Virginia lumberjack) as well as his whole crew (including Johnny Inkslinger.) Oh, and with AB Stormalong, I want to have a text box about famous American ships -- the Constitution, the Monitor, the Enterprise (WWII), and even Alvin (the science submarine), and the SS Edmund Fitzgerald.

As with last GenCon, I hope this year to have a preview on hand so you can get an idea of the content.

If all goes well, I'd like to do a second volume (1900-present) and I'd love to do a book on America's Fabulous Critters, such as the Jersey Devil, Mothman, the Axehandle Hound, Hoopsnakes, the Hodag, Bigfoot, and so on. Errr... which I realize has been mentioned before, earlier in this thread, but hey, it's a nice reminder.

I've completed Alfred Bulltop Stormalong, the blue-water sailor. I also mention such characters as Barney Beal, who stood 6'7" and weighed 300 lbs; Bowleg Bill, who once bronco-busted a 2,000 lbs tuna; Ichabod Paddock, the first whaleman of Nantucket; and John Paul Jones, father of the American navy. Since one can't have sailors without ships, I also highlight some well-known American ship, including the Constitution, Monitor, Enterprise, Edmund Fitzgerald, and the Alvin.

As a side note, my editor has complimented me on the lack of editorial errors to be found in my material.