Common superhero types you've never seen in play

CrosshairCollie

Re: Common superhero types you've never seen in play

Also' date=' you forgot Martian Manhunter, who is pure OMG!! HAX![/quote']

Actually, the MM is a classic example of overshadowing. DC just didn't know what to do with him - he was a pale shadow of Superman, and they already had Superman in the JLA.

It was so bad that he was basically written out of the DC universe ("somewhere out in space") for most of the 70s.

Eventually, of course, they worked out that they could emphasise his telepathy, and distance Superman from the team, but until then he was quite redundant.

He didn't really hit his stride until the Giffen/De Matteis "Bwa ha ha!" period. He had odd moments of awesome before then, but he was still basically a cypher.

So, yes, I will stick to my original statement. They did find a niche for the MM, but before that he was radically overshadowed by the Big Five.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eventually, of course, they worked out that they could emphasise his telepathy, and distance Superman from the team, but until then he was quite redundant.

He didn't really hit his stride until the Giffen/De Matteis "Bwa ha ha!" period. He had odd moments of awesome before then, but he was still basically a cypher.

So, yes, I will stick to my original statement. They did find a niche for the MM, but before that he was radically overshadowed by the Big Five.

You're probably right and I'm just going to have to take your word for it on this one.

I didn't really read JLA during most of that time period :o

I'm a post Crisis DC fan and even then, I was mostly a Marvel Zombie during the 80's

Most of my JLA back issue reading was pretty intermittent and has mostly focused on back issues that featured Wonder Woman or The Flash (Wally) being particularly awesome :)

Speaking of Wally, that's something that I haven't personally seen much in my games:

Legacy heroes or grown up side kicks

I've seen plenty of NPC's that fit the description, but in the last four Champions games I've been in not a single PC has had that sort of background.

Heh, Superman has called the Martian Manhunter, the most powerful being on earth. Even got a couple of comics around here in the box where Martian Manhunter more then holds his one against the big blue boyscout and that's before planet moving stuff in other issues.... Still remains one of my favorite DC characters, hence while I'll be picking up Stormwatch even though it's, uggh.....Stormwatch Featuring the Authoritah! ....Double Uggh.....

Legacy Characters would be interesting. It's one of the reasons I run different timeline arcs to see if a Player will seize that opportunity but no one has yet. Someday maybe. I've got a Legacy Character, the Midnight Avenger, that has an unbroken line in my Campaign from the Gaslight era all the way forward, but most of the players think he's just an immortal character. Only one suspects and even they ain't sure.

~Rex

Heh, Superman has called the Martian Manhunter, the most powerful being on earth. Even got a couple of comics around here in the box where Martian Manhunter more then holds his one against the big blue boyscout and that's before planet moving stuff in other issues...

~Rex

His real strength is his versatility. He's nearly as strong and tough as Supes, is a top-notch telepath, and then you get to his OTHER eight zillion powers...

His real strength is his versatility. He's nearly as strong and tough as Supes' date=' is a top-notch telepath, and then you get to his OTHER eight zillion powers...[/quote']

Look at it from a HERO perspective. His First Superman level punch, is coming at you while he's Invisible. Surprise = Massive Damage Overload, heh. Batman, refers to the Martian Manhunter in his files as "A combination of everything attributable to both Superman, and the Dark Knight"....first thing Barry Allen says when they run into Black Lantern Martian Manhunter, is RUN!!!!! (BLMM is also very quick to point out everyone keeps forgetting he is as Strong as Superman, heh, then drops a Building on GL and the Flash)....

Was some cool MM stories to as they showed him in his other forms, hanging out in other countries with new Hero ID's, or showing up as a Woman to have coffee and kick back with the Trinity..... FANTASTIC character all around.

Do folks get any SHRINKING characters in their games at all. I think I've seen One in anything I've run since 82 or so. I've made more then a few and they remain one of my favorite types, but they seem scarce.

~Rex

Do folks get any SHRINKING characters in their games at all. I think I've seen One in anything I've run since 82 or so. I've made more then a few and they remain one of my favorite types, but they seem scarce.

~Rex

Just as NPCs so far in my experience. I wonder if it's because shrinking is seen as a sufficient enough "shtick" for it to be a character's primary powerset, but not potent enough to carry worth as a PC? I mean, when someone makes a character that can fly, your first though is "what ELSE can he do?" Would you have the same impulse if presented with a character that could shrink?

Not me, I will actually make the character that "Just Flies".....and have made the "Just Shrinks" more then a few times. It's never a matter of "What Else can he do?" for me, it's a matter of "What Character is he?"

~Rex

~Rex

Played this one briefly way back in 1995

MICRONIA

attachment.php?attachmentid=39681&d=1313471053

Heh, nice pick, and I second the mini brick, they tend to be nasty. Here's one for folks. The "Really Good at Something basically Mundane" Hero.....I've done this but then I like Characters like "The Human Fly" from Marvel, and a few others. Crime Fighting Stuntman!...One of the few Characters I've copied blatantly just because he's a lot of Fun to play. Especially at the 400 point 6e level.....

MR-HumanFly.jpg?t=1245161235

~Rex

~Rex

I think Shrinking characters are rare for a couple of reasons. In a game with hard CV caps they tend to lose a big chunk of their primary defensive ability. They also tend to work better in stable groups of 5+ PC's and many games have a hard time keeping that many folks on a regular gaming schedule IF a GM even wants that large of a group. I like 'em. Heck, I like all the classic JLA and would be happy to play a homage of any of them in a game when and if I ever get a work schedule that would allow regular gaming and a group was available. :D

Yeah I don't understand the inflexible types...."No you can't Have the Main Benefit of this Power, because "insert reason here", so everything then becomes cookie cutter copies of all the same blocks of stats and builds.... Probably why the only cap I care about is a soft cap during creation of whatever number of dice I want being rolled in the beginning.

~Rex

~Rex

Never played a pure shrinker PC.

They always had something else and that something else was almost always Growth.

I'm still trying to figure out if my latest such character is brilliant or simply ludicrous...

I think Shrinking characters are rare for a couple of reasons. In a game with hard CV caps they tend to lose a big chunk of their primary defensive ability. They also tend to work better in stable groups of 5+ PC's and many games have a hard time keeping that many folks on a regular gaming schedule IF a GM even wants that large of a group. I like 'em. Heck' date=' I like all the classic JLA and would be happy to play a homage of any of them in a game when and if I ever get a work schedule that would allow regular gaming and a group was available. :D[/quote']

It's the CV limits that often has had them shot down when I've tried to play one. I've also run into some gamemasters who don't allow shrunk characters to have martial arts, too much suspension of disbelief for them "I choke him..." "With what, your legs?" etc ;) I suppose I can see their point, but darn it.

It's the CV limits that often has had them shot down when I've tried to play one. I've also run into some gamemasters who don't allow shrunk characters to have martial arts' date=' too much suspension of disbelief for them "I choke him..." "With what, your legs?" etc ;) I suppose I can see their point, but darn it.[/quote']

I'm pretty strict on this stuff too, but would likely just insist that the shrunken character have a plan on how to get around it. For example, some method of garroting his giant targets.

I give martial artists a similar "give me a creative solution" when faced with most unusual body types though, so it's not like I'm picking on the little guy here...

I don't see a lot of players with only Shrinking for the same reason why you don't see characters with only one of any other Power.

I did play a character who's primary abilities were Shrinking and Teleport. I did a lot of infiltration and sneak attacks.

One of my convention pregens is a shapeshifter, but also has Shrinking and Flight Only When Shrunk.

Never played a pure shrinker PC.

They always had something else and that something else was almost always Growth.

Well, yeah. Having only Shrinking would suck. You could always get smaller, but never come back to your normal height otherwise.

:D

Usually it's shrinking in conjunction with other stuff, like flight and energy blast. One particularly nasty combo was a female Dr. Manhattan type(cosmic-y powers, matter transmutation, etc.), who would shrink, stand on the back of a teammate's neck, then pop out to throw a big blast. This was in the old days of massive DCV bonuses.

I don't see a lot of players with only Shrinking for the same reason why you don't see characters with only one of any other Power.

I did play a character who's primary abilities were Shrinking and Teleport. I did a lot of infiltration and sneak attacks.

One of my convention pregens is a shapeshifter, but also has Shrinking and Flight Only When Shrunk.

I think shrinking is usually looked at as a special effect first. My version of The Atom has Shrinking, Flight while Shrunk and Teleportation via phone lines. I don't consider him a flyer or teleporter though. He's still first and foremost a shrinker.

I wouldn't think that a Few Movement schticks violate the "Just a Shrinker" build. I'd NEVER, Cap the DCV of a Shrinker character though, that bonus is balanced out by some pretty hefty and equal negatives. It's gonna be harder to Hit the Ant in the room at a Distance. On the other hand, if you want to STEP on that Ant, it's not to hard. All it takes is some common sense on the GM's part of things, not artificial Cap restrictions, especially ones that just neuter certain power sets generate the cookie cutter builds that annoy me so much.

~Rex

The rest of the time, Wonder Woman's animal summoning/controlling powers more useful.

And you see how often she uses those...

Actually I haven't. I didn't even know she had them. But you could probably count the number of DC comics I've read barely number in the double digits.

Legacy Characters would be interesting. It's one of the reasons I run different timeline arcs to see if a Player will seize that opportunity but no one has yet. Someday maybe. I've got a Legacy Character, the Midnight Avenger, that has an unbroken line in my Campaign from the Gaslight era all the way forward, but most of the players think he's just an immortal character. Only one suspects and even they ain't sure.

~Rex

Hey Rex, how do you think the developing Phenom + Goo Boy thing relates?

For everyone else:

Phenom is something of a Martian Manhunter homage (minus the invisibility and mental powers). His powers are (secretly) based on the destruction of the atomic bonds holding him together (or something rubber sciencey like that) by a nanite infection. The more time goes by the more "stretchy" Phenom will get until he eventually turns to goo and dies.

Now, we just got a new player who cleverly introduced a character that represented the successful culmination of the nanite infection. This yet unnamed hero (that we all call Goo Boy for lack of a better name) is a pure metamorph created through a derivative process of the one that is killing Phenom. Fun part... No one knows that Phenom is dying, just that he has increasingly cool powers. All the while Goo Boy may possess the answer to stabilizing his nanite deterioration.

So... Is Goo Boy a legacy character of Phenom's? :)

~Rex

You haven't seen him, but have probably heard a lot about BASTION in Epic City. He could get small or big.