A Riddle:

JmOz

Re: A Riddle:

Well, I once conceived a character who had mental attacks that were only triggered when he was mentally attacked (or scanned, or whatever), but I never actually played him. But I'm not sure that's quite what you mean.

Question: Does "useful in combat" refer only to fighting, or are there other considerations in play, like protecting normals and such.

The Defender

Protects self, others, bystanders

The Healer

Cares for self, others, bystanders

The Enhancer

Improves the capabilities of others

The Transporter

Rescues bystanders, gets others where they need to be

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary

In my UNITY 2020 game, one of the players had a character named Mittarbeit (German for "cooperation") who had a huge variety of Aid powers. She was strictly a buffer; her role in combat was to juice up the other PCs, heal them when they got knocked down, that sort of thing. It worked OK in play. Not great, but OK. She was mostly satisfied with the character.

A guy with normal strength' date=' no attack powers, but high defenses could draw fire from the enemy, thereby allowing his comrades to stand and fight longer.[/quote']

What was that character's name in Champions 3000? "Bulletproof" or something like that? He was basically invulnerable, but didn't have any special powers beyond that.

I played a character kind of like that in an online game (called her "The Shield"), but she had some superhuman strength (not quite Brick level) and a number of martial maneuvers that could kick up her damage to respectable levels.

How do you make a super hero' date=' with no offensive capability, who was still useful in combat...[/quote']

I have a character, Mr. Blackwings, who commands crows. While he isn't _totally_ lacking in offensive ability, a 6d6 Reduced Penetration AoE in a 12d6 game doesn't count for much. Instead, he used the crows to control the battlefield. -OCV and -DCV Change Environments were really useful in helping his teammates take down the villains. And after a few sessions working together, they could even buy the Environmental Movement: Crows to avoid the effects themselves.

Superhero Support

The Transporter Hero

The Healer

The Illusionist or Hologram Caster

The Booster

The Information Supplier

The Resource Provider/Government Liaison (Bases, Vehicles, Contacts, Money, etc...)

The Investigator

The Danger Sense/Precognition protagonist Hero

The "I know a "guy/girl"

The Conspiracy Theorist (Who happpens to be right?)

The Sage/Fortune Teller/etc...

The character in question is a doctor who takes the hipocratic oath very serious. Will not cause harm to others...

Then why does he go around with a bunch of vicious heroes? He would have to stop the heroes hitting the villains?

Sort of powers they could have:

Healing all characteristics to some level for his friends (and their victims).

Aid Body, Stun, Endurance, PE, ED, for his friends (if he is allowed to assist their violence on others by keeping them up longer).

Darkness (it is harder to hit so less violence).

Entangles.

AOE mind control only to convince peopl enot to be violent (zone of carm)?

Would forcing someone to not attack the person they realy want to hit count as an attack?

Good plan my suggestion would have been providence one of the charcters I came up with for US50 her only power was extrodinary luck which protected her from all damage but she took out her foes by dodging out of the way of attacks of and. Luring her foes into damaging them selves by getting them to hit electrical junction boxes or fire hydrants propane tanks etc

Why do medics go out on the battlefield' date=' instead of stopping the soldiers from going into battle?[/quote']

He is not just a medic though is he? He can be beyond the powers of any medic.

Do army medics bear arms? Do they get weapon training and will they shoot an enemy if that enemy is about to shoot all of their patients?

I do not think all of them will have the same compulsions as this character has as they may be tought to kill with weapon training if they really have to.

But I could be wrong as I am not an army medic or know of any.

So army medics are slightly differnet from this character.

So the comment was to highlight that you have a character with the strong belief that violence is wrong associating with possibly very violent people who are trying to stop even more violent people.

I hope this character has contact Shrink :).

A hero who actually views violence as a last resort? Unthinkable! ;)

It seems like the character as described has a good array of non-lethal options that will be effective in combat. A character with no ability to do damage could still use barriers for defense and battlefield control. Characters like Nightcrawler and Kitty Pryde (the Vanisher; Elixir) lack the offensive punch of their teammates, and seem to work better in the comics than in game (where they generally get enough martial arts to do competitive damage). They're very useful out of combat, but most RPG's have a significant combat focus, so the player sits around bored.

Entangle was mentioned - how will the Medic character react the first time the Entangled target is subjected to an array of co-ordinated multiple power attacks by his teammates? I think he needs appropriate game mentality - with all characters believing violence is a last resort, and should be applied in only the minimum necessary level to protect the innocent.

A very defended character drawing fire could work, if the GM doesn't tactically ignore him since he's no threat to the villain.