And Now for Something Slightly Different: Mis-Spelled and Reimagined Supers

SSgt Baloo

I've always been interested in homonyms and homophones since first grade. I used to entertain myself by intentionally trying different sounds for ordinary words based on the spelling, or substituting a similar-sounding word in a short phrase.

The challenge is to suggest alternate forms of well-known characters (and less-well-known if you provide a link) by either changing the name slightly or changing one of the words in the hero's name. Then you must propose a different power-set that suits the resulting name.

Example of Name Changed Slightly (NCS):

Supermen

Clark Savage III had studied his father's notes very carefully and had discovered not only the key to taking away the superpowers of the many super-criminals plaguing the world, but also how to grant them as well. Clark also feared what could happen if this knowledge were to fall into the wrong hands. After committing all his fathers notes on the subject (as well as any of his own) to memory, he destroyed them. He was going to keep the formula a secret, but there needed to be a force to oppose Evil. He could give himself superpowers, but would just one guy be enough?

Clark contacted his closest friends together and laid out his plan. Supervillains were numerous enough that he needed reliable back-up, and he was offering a chance to be a powerful force for Good as had his father before him. Each has unique abilities that complements those of his companions. As heroes, they address each other by their (rather common) first names. Collectively, they are Supermen

Technically, C.S. III's ability to design and "build" his own superteam is his superpower. The specific powers and number of the team members involved are left up to whomever wants to use the idea in their campaign (as either a hero or villain team).

Example of Word Changed (WC):

Captain Marble

When Billy Bobbin says "AfF-Schmazz-Ka-Poop!" he turns into a 2m diameter sphere of mystical marble (growth and density increase? Multiform?). In his marble form, the Captain is almost impervious to harm (high defenses, some damage negation) and can roll at high speeds (+running). Likewise he needs not breathe, eat and sleep in this form (life support). Give him some extra senses and you're done!

Those so inclined are encoursged to use more or less detail than the above examples as you see fit.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: And Now for Something Slightly Different: Mis-Spelled and Reimagined Supers

Wander Woman - Amazonian princess Diana leaves Paradise Island to wander the outside world, discovering what life outside of paradise is like. Unlike the opulent life she lived on Paradise Island, in "man's world" she ekes out a living doing menial jobs for food and shelter, moving on whenever she can--or must. She travels constantly, helping the helpless, defending the defenseless, defeating the...defeatless, and righting wrongs. (Cue soulful music from the Hulk tv show....)

I posted this over in the "HeroMachine" thread, but I think it's oddly appropriate to this thread so here she is again:

Manhunter!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44765[/ATTACH]

If I'd really thought this concept through, I would've portrayed her as a Martian....

Spader-Man: When highschool student Peter Parker is bitten by irradiated actor James Spader, he gains enhanced physical abilities proportionate to the ego of a Hollywood actor and being a rather un-imaginative 15 year old, he took the name Spader-Man and became a highly paid and sought after stuntman and superhero.

Ronin: Pretty much Batman's sidekick, except with an Asian flair and a cooler name thanks to a lucky typo.

Ickman: Bobby Dreck with the mutant power to generate foul-smelling sewage. Member of the Y-men ('why' do they have such terrible powers?).

Rouge: One of Ickman's fellow Y-men, Rouge is able to mimic almost anybody with her mutant power of extreme make-overs. She does not have much control over this power and takes on the superficial appearance of anyone she touches, which has been terrible for her love life.

Store: Another Y-man, Store is a statuesque black woman with the ability to store almost any item in her massive white afro, which resembles a cloud around her head. She is the team's equipment manager supplying anything they might need from cellphones to the Y-men's supersonic jet. Sadly her mercurial nature does not lend itself well to organization, so she frequently loses things in her hair's extra-dimensional pocket.

Nightcrawler: Another Y-man, this mutant resembles a giant earthworm. Unable to mix with normal society, he found haven with the Y-men. He has the ability to tunnel through loose soil as pedestrian speeds.

IRONIC MAN: a billionaire weapons magnate gets hit by shrapnel from a demonstration of one of his own bombs while in the boonies. A piece lodges in his heart, and only the quick work of a medic working for enemy freedom fighters rigs implants a mechanism that keeps him from dying. Impressed by the irony of his survival, he turns his genius and vast fortune to aiding others.

The Ex-Men' date=' consisting of Niceman, Angle, Best, and Marble Girl (can't seem to really come up with a good name for Cyclops).[/quote']

An example I considered but discarded as low-hanging fruit was The Amazing Ex-Men! A team of mutants who are also postoperative M-F transexuals. They fight evil and offer each other emotional support.

Doctor Best Roller -- he is back from death, to win the roller skate contest!

The Green Pattern -- an excellent artist, obsessed with the green color...

The Punk -- a really big green brick, with a lot of piercings

The Flush - Prankster/speedster with a fondness for cherry bombs

Biteman - Modern Vampire that uses fancy gadgets to help him capture his prey. Although he is a vampire, he is no stronger/tougher than your average person and must rely on his gadgets and skill to survive.

Aunt Man and the Wisp - this carnival freakshow turned superhero duo fight crime. Aunt Man's prehensile beard is able to trap their targets and render them helpless, while The Wisp flits around being generally annoying. Supposedly the Wisp has an energy attack, but at her diminutive size it is so weak as to be barely noticeable by most villains.

The Flush - Prankster/speedster with a fondness for cherry bombs.

See, I imagined that as speedster who sabotages building's plumbing.

The Indivisible Girl cannot be dismembered or beheaded, but everything else is a go.

Then there's an entirely different typo/theme that I am surprised has not yet been mentioned ... spoilered for questionable taste, however.

Then there's members of the Legion of Super-Herpes:

• Chlamydia Boy works with some varieties of sexually transmitted disease...
  • Mono-El works with orally transmitted viruses
  • Sauternes Girl has powers that imitate the effects of sweet dessert wines, including the "beer goggles" effect
  • Trichomoniasis Girl also belong here

Inspired by Cancer's post above, I'd like to suggest a founding member of the Ex-Men:

The Yeast! Her powers allow her to swell up like rising bread dough. I'd imagine someone with the powers of the Blob plus growth or some other shape-changing ability, due to her dough-like powers.

Others:

M.O.O.D.-K.

Mentally Offensive Organism Designed for Knavery

I leave the following unexplained as an exercise for the readers.*

D.O.M.O.K.

K.O.M.O.D.

M.O.D.E.M.

* I realized just how long it took me to think up the first one and remembered I wanted to post this today!

Optimus Prim: This 40' tall robot is armed with a massive gun, an energy sword capable of slicing through steel like butter, and is able to transform itself into an 18 wheeler truck. Quite possibly one of the most feared warriors on the planet if he didn't talk like C3PO.

Obnoxious Prime: He's the leader of the Autobots. He's a 40' tall robot with a massive gun, an energy sword capable of slicing through steel like butter, and is able to transform himself into an 18 wheeler truck, and he's not going to let anyone forget it.

Optimist Prime: He doesn't waste his time battling the Decepticons because he's sure things will work out just fine in the end.

Optometrist Prime: He handles the vision plan for the Autobot's health insurance.