Equipment

quozaxx

Yeah, long ago, we worked out all the stuff we should carry with us, including such necessaries as "Spool of silver wire".

You might laugh - but one night, some werewolves nearly ganked themselves charging us though a door with silver wire solidly anchored across it at neck height ....

The only catch is that you required a team of bearers to carry it all.

So one of my gaming buddies made a sketch of these fine henchmen ... Here's Bearer No. 4 ...

bearer.jpg

cheers, Mark

Yeah, long ago, we worked out all the stuff we should carry with us, including such necessaries as "Spool of silver wire".

You might laugh - but one night, some werewolves nearly ganked themselves charging us though a door with silver wire solidly anchored across it at neck height ....

The only catch is that you required a team of bearers to carry it all.

So one of my gaming buddies made a sketch of these fine henchmen ... Here's Bearer No. 4 ...

bearer.jpg

cheers, Mark

A pack horse solves that issue. Most characters can carry their extra gear in their saddle bags. Their personal stuff in their backpacks, then the bulky stuff (tents, bedrolls, heavy cloaks etc) on the pack horse, then you also have the pack horse carry the lion's share of the treasure you find along the way. Just make sure that horse is VERY loyal and not particularly skittish.

I have to say that I'm actually a little irritated by the adventurers-who-carry-an-entire-department-store-around-with-them meme. It just reminds me too much of 1) the Monty Haul AD&D days and 2) too many stupid arguments about how of course my character is carrying a periscope, it's so obvious that they would.

Near as I can tell, real people throughout the Middle Ages never carried as much gear as dungeon crawlers seem to. The closest example I can think of are knights, who would have had to maintain their armor and weapons and would have carried around basic tooling to do that. But really they seem to have relied on their henchmen squires for that. Are there any sources for what typical knights, archers, men-at-arms, or legionaries carried with them? Aside from the weapons and armor?

No one ever thinks of this, but... a periscope.
My first thought was "well, that's what the mirror/piece of polished metal is for", as I would've said that periscopes would be a bit too modern for most quasi-medieval settings (mostly a Renaissance thing, with relatively cheap mirrors being a 19th century invention). That made me look up periscope on Wikipedia. And apparently, dear old Gutenberg was one of the first to make one, selling it to back row pilgrims so that they can see what's going on. Which is why my next campaign will feature either dwarves or halfling nobles who use periscopes like opera glasses, and with exactly the same hauteur.

Near as I can tell' date=' real people throughout the Middle Ages never carried as much gear as dungeon crawlers seem to. The closest example I can think of are knights, who would have had to maintain their armor and weapons and would have carried around basic tooling to do that. But really they seem to have relied on their [strike']henchmen[/strike] squires for that.

I think that's the point, people who could afford lots of stuff could afford servants carrying them around. In classical and medieval times, you had quite an entourage going on. Which is why the "department store" meme is quite linked to the henchman/carrier/pack gorilla/torch bearer meme. Strangely enough, the latter has become more rare in recent years of the game, so we're left a bit out of balance. Extradimensional storage solves that, of course.

I have to say that I'm actually a little irritated by the adventurers-who-carry-an-entire-department-store-around-with-them meme. It just reminds me too much of 1) the Monty Haul AD&D days and 2) too many stupid arguments about how of course my character is carrying a periscope, it's so obvious that they would.

Near as I can tell, real people throughout the Middle Ages never carried as much gear as dungeon crawlers seem to. The closest example I can think of are knights, who would have had to maintain their armor and weapons and would have carried around basic tooling to do that. But really they seem to have relied on their henchmen squires for that. Are there any sources for what typical knights, archers, men-at-arms, or legionaries carried with them? Aside from the weapons and armor?

Don't know. I've looked at similar questions for the space marines in my Master of Orion game. Some great results googling "loadout" in terms of modern soldiers. What gets carried varies GREATLY with intended mission, and there's just too much stuff you /could/ carry and not use versus the stuff you /need/. Most of that work isn't in finished format; maybe I'll polish it up and post it.

Says it all, really:

comic_lotr69a.jpg

comic_lotr69b.jpg

comic_lotr69c.jpg

The other answer, is "about what you can realistically fit in a pack, or over your shoulders". That's quite a lot - the Marian era legionaries carried about 60 pounds of stuff, and they did it over long distances and had to be ready to fight along the way. They were tough SOBs, and not too far off our hypothetical adventuring types when it comes to strength and stamina, I think. Roman military training in those days consisted mostly of "running", "carrying heavy things" and "Running while carrying heavy things".

marius-mules.jpg

They have not just weapons and armour, but also tools, blankets, tents etc. They didn't carry food, beyond the day's snacks and water: the rest was rolled along on wagons or carried on mules. Of course if they had to actually fight (or scramble away from an opening pit, etc) they'd have to drop all that stuff, in which case they'd end up with weapons, armour and precious little else.

cheers, Mark

• 2 weeks later...