In other news...

tkdguy

This happens so often, I am nearly convinced that any person publicly pursuing or proclaiming an antihomosexual agenda is secretly indulging in what they publicly condemn.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says it sounds like a pretty crowded castle.

This happens so often, I am nearly convinced that any person publicly pursuing or proclaiming an antihomosexual agenda is secretly indulging in what they publicly condemn.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says it sounds like a pretty crowded castle.

Shakespear weren't it? "Me thinks he doth Protest Too Much!" :yes:

Good for Ireland. I am not opposed anyway,but by popular vote is, imo, the ideal way to do it. I don't NOT know their Constitution, so I don't NOT know how this will play out in practice.

Eventually, I expect SSM to be the law across the nation. This may happen next month when the Supreme Court rules.

It will be interesting. Personally, I am fine with it, but this has caused me friction with family and friends. The real test is going to be on Church/State interactions.

The First Amendment,, afaik, is supposed to protect churches from Government interference, not exclusively the other way around. The first time the government tells a church that it must perform a same sex marriage the Supreme Court should SMASH it. I suspect the same applies for recognition of same sex. The state may recognize them, but a church cannot be forced to. Or at least should not.

Like I said, it will be interesting.

Well, that doesn't make me feel any better about being 38 and not having my four-year degree yet.

Good for him, though.

43 and got my 2 year at 39...a mere 20 years after I started higher education.  

No 4 year for me unless I win the lottery. 

You still have time to beat me :)

43 and got my 2 year at 39...a mere 20 years after I started higher education.  

No 4 year for me unless I win the lottery. 

You still have time to beat me :)

49 here...   Doubt I will get that last 16 credits...

More likely to get another Associates degree or some such. 

Jeez you guys are old.

Did get my four-years and am somewhat conflicted about their value.  I suppose they are somewhat relevant to my career, but I find that they had more value as a life experience than as direct job training.  In my current field a four-year degree is hardly required except as a screening checkbox for job applications.

Never did become an astronomer either.

Good for Ireland. I am not opposed anyway,but by popular vote is, imo, the ideal way to do it. I don't NOT know their Constitution, so I don't NOT know how this will play out in practice.

Eventually, I expect SSM to be the law across the nation. This may happen next month when the Supreme Court rules.

It will be interesting. Personally, I am fine with it, but this has caused me friction with family and friends. The real test is going to be on Church/State interactions.

The First Amendment,, afaik, is supposed to protect churches from Government interference, not exclusively the other way around. The first time the government tells a church that it must perform a same sex marriage the Supreme Court should SMASH it. I suspect the same applies for recognition of same sex. The state may recognize them, but a church cannot be forced to. Or at least should not.

Like I said, it will be interesting.

Plenty of people (gay and straight) already get married outside church, so I doubt that the state has much interest in forcing churches to marry gay couples. It's always possible that individuals might sue but I'd rate their chances of winning such a suit somewhere between zero and nothing - meaning the issue will never get anywhere near the Supremes.

We can estimate the outcome of this decision, and the likely outcomes are summed up in this handy graph (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-rDtD2GFR2wQ/T9ecKo7jQhI/AAAAAAAACQc/2Dj3NZfUiNw/s1600/consequences_of_gay_marriage.png) :)

Cheers, Mark

Edit: and I should note that in a number of countries where gay marriage was made legal (eg: New Zealand, Denmark and others), and some church groups campaigned against it, post-legalisation, those same groups are quietly adopting "rules of conscience" allowing gays to get church services anyway, if the pastor is agreeable. I mean, marriage licences, and their money is as good as anyone's, and pastors have bills to pay too, and etc, etc. Obviously, not everyone is going to change their stance, but removing gay marriage from the political agenda (via legalisation) allows a lot of the fear and angst to drain out of the issue.

I tried and failed. Am I bitter? Hell, yeah!

I didn't even try, which I regard as an even greater failure in many respects. My GREs were a trainwreck, then I went and got a job with a paycheck to tide me over until I took it again. Which hasn't happened yet.