In other news...

tkdguy

The husband has Meineire's.  He already has to wear a hearing aid.  But sodium can trigger a vertigo attack. :-/

Hmm, my mother has complained of dizziness when she has had too much salt in the past.  (though she only gets too much salt really from outside food, she doesn't add salt, and usually avoids high sodium food).

I do have to admit I don't really like eating out (or shopping at Wal-Mart*) because of noise.  

*Never shop there the Saturday before Christmas.  The noise did cause me to have a near-freakout.  Afterwards, at lunch I ate 2 slices of pizza in about a minute and a half out of nervousness and had hiccups the rest of the weekend.  And at one point at Wal-Mart, the dope in front of me, decided to stop right in the middle of the aisle, I took the long way around because I was literally almost ready to start pushing him out of the way from panic.  Not doing that again.  (and I've only gone to Wal-Mart about 3 times in the decade since) 

Those bears are now being laughed at by their brethren.

The bears probably got what they wanted. They wanted him to go away, and he did. In the real world, bears just want us pesky humans to leave them alone and let them be bears. (Although if there are enough humans around, bears are perfectly fine with rooting around their camps or garbage looking for food, which in the long run is pretty bad for the bears -- if Yogi really were "smarter than the average bear", he wouldn't be so obsessed with pickanick baskets).

The bears probably got what they wanted. They wanted him to go away, and he did. In the real world, bears just want us pesky humans to leave them alone and let them be bears. (Although if there are enough humans around, bears are perfectly fine with rooting around their camps or garbage looking for food, which in the long run is pretty bad for the bears -- if Yogi really were "smarter than the average bear", he wouldn't be so obsessed with pickanick baskets).

My interpretation --and maybe it's just me-- is that Yogi isn't actually smarter than the average bear. In fact, there are plenty of indications that Boo-Boo is actually smarter. It's a delicious confection of ironic texts and subtexts that mine comedy from the chasm that yawns between Yogi's understanding of the world, and the world as it actually is.

Also, Yogi is always falling into Old Faithful, and that stuff's comedy gold.

My interpretation --and maybe it's just me-- is that Yogi isn't actually smarter than the average bear. In fact, there are plenty of indications that Boo-Boo is actually smarter. It's a delicious confection of ironic texts and subtexts that mine comedy from the chasm that yawns between Yogi's understanding of the world, and the world as it actually is.

The most memorable short for me is the time Yogi went all the way to Chicago thinking that a headline "Bears battle Giants today" meant Bearkind was at war with Giantkind and he had to join the fight. Turns out, of course, that it was a football game.... (This was about fifteen years before the NFL would really take its place as an American national obsession.)

That episode could not be made today without some really expensive trademark licensing. In the 1950s nobody cared, now they're paranoid about it.

Weather records for precipitation going both ways

In a thread that's been deleted, long ago, I said: "The atmosphere is a kind of oscillator. When you put more energy into an oscillator is that you increase the amplitude of oscillation, not that you change the equilibrium state."

Yes, the amplitude of oscillations has been increasing.

Competition? Nah.

"So while the report is correct that things like utility pole attachment reform is important for fiber deployment, it fails to mention that cities that have attempted to do so have been sued by Comcast, Charter and AT&T to try and slow competitive threats. Similarly, while the report is quick to emphasize the importance of "reducing barriers to copper retirement," it fails to mention that AT&T and Verizon's version of this involves severing the taxpayer-subsizied DSL connectionsof millions of users (many elderly), and just shoving them toward notably-more expensive wireless (assuming it's even available)."

Steam, the online game distribution service that holds a near-monopoly on PC game downloads, just had their annual Summer Sale that ended July 5. On July 6, they turned around and banned more than 40,000 users -- most of whom had been previously banned on other accounts, but had taken the sale as an opportunity to buy back their game collections under new names.

The usual causes for a Steam ban are cheating on a large scale and inappropriate sale of in-game content like weaponry. Some games have a flourishing black market where people can pay cash for items that really should be earned in play or purchased from the publisher (through Steam). Then there are, of course, the usual questions about piracy which has caused PC game studios to take advantage of the relative security offered by the Steam portal.