Agents Of SHIELD!

wcw43921

I guess generals who spend their careers staunchly believing in "never give in to terrorist demands," just magically fall to pieces and perform eggregious acts of treason when their own family members are threatened, eh? Sorry, but Talbot had a good reason to work with SHIELD, the CIA, and his own special forces teams (to recover his son). He did not have a good reason to become a Hydra stooge, even for a few days. That was just horribly bad writing, a rare misstep for this show.

I guess generals who spend their careers staunchly believing in "never give in to terrorist demands," just magically fall to pieces and perform eggregious acts of treason when their own family members are threatened, eh? Sorry, but Talbot had a good reason to work with SHIELD, the CIA, and his own special forces teams (to recover his son). He did not have a good reason to become a Hydra stooge, even for a few days. That was just horribly bad writing, a rare misstep for this show.

The only sloppy thing about that was that they were able to recover his son at all, given that he had an off switch installed.  I wonder if we'll see the general again, I imagine he's become a bit anti-Hydra by now.

I'm pretty sure he was anti-Hydra from the beginning. He seemed to revel in using anti-Hydra hysteria to persecute Coulson and his team every chance he got. It seemed about as in-character for Talbot to turn Hydra stooge, even for a day, as it would have been for General Patton to turn Nazi stooge, even for a day, under the same circumstances. I just don't see it, comic-book universe or no.

You must've watched a different episode than me. I didn't see him ever turn pro-Hydra. I saw him try to work his way out of the blackmailing fix he was in without letting Coulson in on it. Both of those angles are in character for Talbot as he's been shown so far. The fact that Coulson and his team had to help him out of it, and his gratitude for that helping integrate him into the mix seems to have been the point of the episode.

Do you think it would have been more in character for him to let his son simply be killed because he doesn't negotiate with terrorists? Or would it have been more in character to sneak in Creel to try to turn the tables on Hydra? (And fail, needing SHIELD's help, also in character.)

Talbot made a deal with Malick, Hydra's top guy, and he knew what he was doing. What Talbot did would be defined as treason. What I feel would have been more in character would have been for him to turn to any number of highly effective organizations within the U.S. and its armed forces, you know being a general and all, rather than blow Coulson's cover and put the entire symposium in jeopardy by essentially handing all its members over to Hydra. As for not negotiating with terrorists, career military officers understand that making sacrifices for the ideals of their country is not easy, but that's why they are generals and average people are not. They are held to a higher, perhaps impossible, standard.

Talbot made a deal with Malick, Hydra's top guy, and he knew what he was doing. What Talbot did would be defined as treason.

Was it? He clearly only went along with the charade with an eye toward at least having a backup plan if not intending to double cross Malick all along. To me the real question is whether the POTUS was in on his plan or not.

What I'm trying to figure out right now is Ward's deal. I know who he's supposed to be, but Mark Dacascos and the new Colombian dude with the shades don't seem like they're 100% on board. I'd have expected them to be a bit more fanatically devoted to the cause; instead it looks like fear is keeping them in line.

They lost me a while back.  It never lived up to the promise, the show wasn't really ever about Marvel comics or SHIELD except incidentally to tell Whedon's stories, and the tone has never felt right.  They either wiped out or turned evil all the characters I liked, had the extremely annoying cliche super waif character Whedon is fixated on, and the seasons built up to a semi-satisfying climax but never were worth watching through.

Its really too bad because with a better writer and concept, it could have been quite fun.  They needed to read the old Agents of SHIELD comics to figure out how to do the story.

I believe he's referring to Skye, aka Daisy, who started out as a Hollywood hacker and became endowed with super-vibratory powers.

For what it's worth, I still like the series, and I'm wondering how the Civil War movie is going to affect it, and whether they'll deal with that in part at the end of this season, or wait for the next season.

One of the problems I have is that the show is so inconsistent with the basic competency of the characters that I never know what to expect from anything they do. I mean, how can Bobbi and Hunter be such great infiltrators when they can't even detect a squad of Russian soldiers advancing on their position from the front? And yet Bobbi can walk around dressed in a long coat and pass as part of the Russian security detachment inside the facility without anyone being even a little suspicious (until the plot demanded a minor complication, of course).

I really want to remain a fan of this show, but the writing is going to have to get tighter and less sloppy if I'm going to stick around.