Agents Of SHIELD!

wcw43921

Malick seems to believe that the entity could be brought back through the portal in the same way Simmons was. If simply passing through the portal is all it needs to do to escape the planet, then there's nothing special keeping it there. It simply isn't powerful enough to leave on its own power. It's not Death or Thanos or anything on the level of an Eternal, a Celestial, or even an Asgardian. I doubt even Dr. Strange would be stranded there for long.

Oh, that. I took that to be his Elemental Converter. Makes a lot more sense than insisting it was supposed to be Galactus himself.

I don't give movie studios the benefit of the doubt very often, but here I just don't think a reasonable case can be made that a "cosmic dust cloud" was supposed to be Galactus (rather than a manifestation of his planet-devouring technology). I honestly beiieve they were saving Galactus himself for the third film. After all, his moniker as "Devourer of Worlds" is somewhat figurative, not strictly literal, and his method of "consuming" planets (and suns) involves technology on a massive, cosmic scale.

If one of the Infinity "stones" can take the form of ever-shifting goo, then surely Galactus' Elemental Converter can be portrayed as some kind of ominous galactic vortex without inviting quite so much skepticism and snark.

Oh, that. I took that to be his Elemental Converter. Makes a lot more sense than insisting it was supposed to be Galactus himself.

I don't give movie studios the benefit of the doubt very often, but here I just don't think a reasonable case can be made that a "cosmic dust cloud" was supposed to be Galactus (rather than a manifestation of his planet-devouring technology). I honestly beiieve they were saving Galactus himself for the third film. After all, his moniker as "Devourer of Worlds" is somewhat figurative, not strictly literal, and his method of "consuming" planets (and suns) involves technology on a massive, cosmic scale.

If one of the Infinity "stones" can take the form of ever-shifting goo, then surely Galactus' Elemental Converter can be portrayed as some kind of ominous galactic vortex without inviting quite so much skepticism and snark.

http://www.slashfilm.com/tim-story-fantastic-four/

Tim Story doesn't deny that it was Galactus.

Edit: Here's a quote from the original interview, which has the original question (not paraphrased) attached:

You did get some backlash on Galactus because he's such a popular character, yet in 'Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer,' he's a big cloud.

Yeah. I must admit, I think at the time there was a little bit of a fear of going all of the way with that. Because it's hard to completely grab the concept. You know, if you know about Galactus, you know how powerful he is and how big or small he could be. And the fact that he does travel in a spaceship and so forth and so on. That's a very big concept to kind of digest. And I think at the time we made the movie, I think the studio also had a little fear of what that was going to be. I think to a certain degree, we shied away from it because of that. But, I think in today's world now, especially with them looking to do things like Ultron.

http://www.slashfilm.com/tim-story-fantastic-four/

Tim Story doesn't deny that it was Galactus.

Edit: Here's a quote from the original interview, which has the original question (not paraphrased) attached:

That is so very, very sad. I am quickly learning to never give studios the benefit of the doubt. Tim Story had a golden opportunity to save his credibility and claim that the cloud was Galactus' Elemental Converter and not Galactus himself. In fact, he could have explained it that way to the brain-dead studio execs who couldn't wrap their tiny little brains around the image of Galactus provided in the comics. Instead he pulled a Tim Kring and put the final nail in a franchise already teetering on the brink of box office oblivion.

I really don't buy the FX part of the excuse. Looks more like an ill-conceived attempt to dumb it down for the audience. I'm pretty sure that most audiences could grasp a huge freaking alien dropping devices to suck the life out of the planet. All they had to do was show him eating some random planet then packing up and heading to Earth.

2010: The Year We Make Contact showed a moon being consumed by black monoliths and, ultimately, being turned into a second sun. 25 years and countless sci-fi movies and tv shows later and audiences can't be counted on to grasp the concept (and image of) a huge, inscrutable alien in armor, consuming a planet with massive alien technology? That's not just a tragic failure of faith in audiences, that's a profound failure of creative vision on the filmmakers' part.

But I guess Marvel hadn't yet shown the way when the FF films were made...

As far a I'm concerned, the lack of a good Galactus story leaves room for Marvel Studios to do it right with the FF.  But whether they will or not remains to be seen.  In my opinion the best FF movie ever made to this day is still The Incredibles.  And that film showed you could do a great superhero movie without it needing to threaten the whole world with doom.