Agents Of SHIELD!

wcw43921

I'm still enjoying the show. The 'spy's goodbye' this week really got to me.

And in spite of the various criticisms in this thread, some of which I agree with, I will continue to watch the show until the ABC execs take it off the air. Although it's far from perfect, It's still magnitudes better than a lot of whats on TV today.

YMMV

They lost me a while back.  It never lived up to the promise, the show wasn't really ever about Marvel comics or SHIELD except incidentally to tell Whedon's stories, and the tone has never felt right.  They either wiped out or turned evil all the characters I liked, had the extremely annoying cliche super waif character Whedon is fixated on, and the seasons built up to a semi-satisfying climax but never were worth watching through.

Its really too bad because with a better writer and concept, it could have been quite fun.  They needed to read the old Agents of SHIELD comics to figure out how to do the story.

I know. Wasn't it terrible when Whedon went back in time, turned himself into Brian Michael Bendis, and wrote Secret War?

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I remember when we were told the show was going to be about ultratech agents and counter-espionage in the MCU, with little in the way of superpowers. My how things change...

I will say that I feel Agents of SHIELD does "intense superhero drama" far better than Arrow. And "Agent Carter" does "bright superhero dramedy" far better than Flash. For one thing, I don't feel like my intelligence is insulted every ten minutes on the Marvel shows. I also care much more about the characters in AoS and AC than anyone in the WB/DC shows. And while I know I'm not going to see Cap or Iron Man or Thor on any of these series, I am much more invested in what happens than I was with anything that happened on Gotham, where the lack of Batman (and the foreknowledge of these characters' futures) made the show pointless for me to watch.

I am very much looking forward to the last four episodes of AoS season 3.

Yeah, the DC universe deserves better than what the Berlanti crew is producing. It's sad, really.

Compare the latest episode of Flash to the latest episode of SHIELD, and you can see that both of them are setting up the final episodes of the season. Both needed for bad stuff to happen, to that end. But in the case of SHIELD, you see a competent team outmaneuvered by an unfamiliar enemy and his covert agent. In the case of Flash, you see a bunch of dummies doing dumb things so the writers have something to write about for the next episode.

Neither show is perfect, but the contrast is just so stark sometimes. It's very sad. Because, again, the DC universe deserves better.

Yeah, the DC universe deserves better than what the Berlanti crew is producing. It's sad, really.

Compare the latest episode of Flash to the latest episode of SHIELD, and you can see that both of them are setting up the final episodes of the season. Both needed for bad stuff to happen, to that end. But in the case of SHIELD, you see a competent team outmaneuvered by an unfamiliar enemy and his covert agent. In the case of Flash, you see a bunch of dummies doing dumb things so the writers have something to write about for the next episode.

Neither show is perfect, but the contrast is just so stark sometimes. It's very sad. Because, again, the DC universe deserves better.

Yeah...I was very disappointed by the most recent Flash episode. It doesn't help that the recurring theme on this show for two seasons now has been the relentless efforts by Flash's enemies to "steal his speed". It plays directly into the trope I hate ever so much in so many comics and genre tv shows--the idea that superpowers are like a liquid that can be quickly and easily poured from one vessel into another. Ditto for "oh noes--the hero has lost his powers! how will he ever defeat the villain du jour?"

I don't care. I don't watch The Flash to see Barry Allen, Mere Mortal fighting supervillains. I watch it to see THE FLASH fight supervillains.

And did I mention how much I hate the "superpowers can be quickly and easily transferred" trope? I HATES it, I does. In my mind, your superpowers are every bit as much a part of you as the color of your eyes or your skin the number of fingers and toes you have, and just as impossible to steal. Yes, those *can* be damaged or even destroyed, but it doesn't mean someone else can suddenly acquire them (except, perhaps, as grisly trophies). 

Gah....

I believe stealing another speedster's Speed Force is a pretty established shtick in the Flash comics.

I think it's usually done by direct manipulation over the Speed Force by the more powerful speedster, vs. using a device as on the show.

Speed Force users don't seem to have innate on their powers, just varying levels of power defense. :D

I hope this is part of the 'plan' and that they somehow sabotaged the transfer - a trojan virus of a sort that will, under a certain condition, transfer all the speed force back to Barry (and neutralize the velocity-9).

If it turns out 'no, really - they hinged everything on the speed dampening bands that other villains have broken out of already and now their backs are against the wall, but don't worry - the heart of a hero and a dues ex machina will save the day!' it will be the first time I've been truly disappointed in the show.  

I believe stealing another speedster's Speed Force is a pretty established shtick in the Flash comics.

I think it's usually done by direct manipulation over the Speed Force by the more powerful speedster, vs. using a device as on the show.

Speed Force users don't seem to have innate on their powers, just varying levels of power defense. :D

Yeah, I forgot to add that I know this is in keeping with the Flash comics, but I still hate it. And Flash isn't the only movie/tv show to do this. Almost ALL superhero/SF with powers shows do it too, at some point.

The only thing that gives me hope that It Was All Part of Our Brilliant Master Plan is that somehow the team knew that when Cisco opened the portal, Zoom would immediately jump through. That he would immediately sense the portal existed, and choose to go to it and through it, at any time or place such a portal was opened. I can think of no reason they would know that, so I'm hoping that the show will explain how they knew that (there was no sign at all that Cisco knew his partially-opened portal had attracted Zoom the first time around), and use that as a jumping-off point to explain how they came up with their brilliant plan to get Wally kidnapped and for Barry to lose his powers, putting the city at risk from any and all metahumans yet again.

But I kinda doubt it.

I give major points to AoS for having a "speedster" who has actual limits on her powers. No time travel nonsense. No creating weather phenomena. No running on water or up buildings. She is actually more interesting because of her limitations, in my view. The Flash is the kind of speedster that appeals to kids. Yo-yo is the kind of speedster that appeals to grownups. That's probably the difference, in a nutshell, between the two shows' primary demographics.

I give major points to AoS for having a "speedster" who has actual limits on her powers. No time travel nonsense. No creating weather phenomena. No running on water or up buildings. She is actually more interesting because of her limitations, in my view. The Flash is the kind of speedster that appeals to kids. Yo-yo is the kind of speedster that appeals to grownups. That's probably the difference, in a nutshell, between the two shows' primary demographics.

Anyone see last night's (4-26) episode?  Coulson had a nifty little surprise, and I'm thinking it may be a hint as to what to expect in Civil War.  The way I figure it--

Spider-Man snatches Captain America's vibranium shield, and Iron Man tries to repulsor-blast Cap, who deploys his own holographic energy shield to block the blast.

Maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

Alpha Primitives! Ugly ones.

They sure are setting up a lot of Inhumans elements pretty early. The movie's been pushed back to 2019 removed from Disney's production schedule.

If the collaboration between studios ends up working out well for the new Spider-Man movies then the same thing may end up happening with X-Men - at which point there's little need for the Inhumans movie at all.

Plus they're doing a very good job of telling Inhuman stories on the show already - what new elements could be presented in a movie that wouldn't either undo all the set-up they've done in the show OR require too much knowledge of what has already been said in the show?