Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

8 hours ago, Starlord said:

Mandarin, meh.  Somewhat interesting swerve.  They would have had to make major changes to the original character for obvious reasons anyways.

They're probably not going to revisit the Mandarin character since they don't have an Iron Man under contract for another movie.

But my take on it is that the guy they picked up wasn't the real Mandarin.

AIM probably picked the name for their patsy to piggyback on the legend of "The Mandarin". The backstory and rumors of a Mandarin which were already out there in the world would have made the AIM character more believable as a threat.

And that would leave a real Mandarin still out there....

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, zslane said:

Maybe not. But what would be the purpose behind making that change and keeping it both completely secret and irrelevant to the character's motives, behaviors, actions, or to the narrative he is in? Answer: none at all. Which is why they didn't do that.

Answer:  Because to well over 95% of moviegoers, it is not "a secret change" because they do not know it is a change at all.  They could come out in GoTG III and have a line on Yondu's Kree heritage, or on people mistaking him for a Kree, rather than a Centaurian (or an Andorian) because both species have blue skin and the vast majority of the audience would simply accept it and move on.  I would, and i know it deviates from the comics (as does most of MCU Yondu).

In the first two movies, it would add nothing to have had Yondu say "Hey, I'm a Kree too" or "Hey, I'm not a Kree - get out of here with your 'all you blue-skins look the same' attitude".  Actually, maybe that second one could have added something...but they didn't go there.  He could have said "Kree can't control the sacred Yaka metal - only Centaurians can do that!" as he retrieved the arrow from that ignoramus, and made a respect for his heritage an aspect of the character.  They could just as easily have used a different Marvel space-pirate (maybe one who actually was a space-pirate in the comics) to fill the role.

On 9/12/2018 at 8:12 AM, Starlord said:

I LOVE MCU Mantis.  Odd, eccentric and innocent.  We absolutely didn't need ANOTHER ultra-competent female Martial Artist/Weaponmaster.

Mandarin, meh.  Somewhat interesting swerve.  They would have had to make major changes to the original character for obvious reasons anyways.

I have no real issue with MCU Mantis, but I also see why her creator does not see her as his creation.  She's better described as "loosely based on the Marvel Comics character".

Comic characters, like comic tropes, will not pass perfectly to a different media.  Team Arrow differ considerably from their comic book counterparts - it's not MCU unique.

3 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

They could come out in GoTG III and have a line on Yondu's Kree heritage, or on people mistaking him for a Kree, rather than a Centaurian

GotG3 is a pointless vehicle for involving Yondu's previously unrealized Kree heritage, seeing as how he's dead and I'm sure the franchise is ready to just move on and never mention him again. If it wasn't brought up in the first GotG, then it was never going to make sense to bring it up at all. Making him Kree makes zero sense to anyone except perhaps someone who wants to win this argument.

1 hour ago, Bazza said:

"After 20 weeks at the box office, AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR has finally finished its record-breaking theatrical run, making $679 million domestically and a total $2.05 billion worldwide! (via

@boxofficemojo)"

https://twitter.com/MCU_Tweets/status/1041083705790488576?s=20

Not sure why they would remove it from the theaters before it got its full 35 weeks.

On 9/13/2018 at 11:26 AM, zslane said:

GotG3 is a pointless vehicle for involving Yondu's previously unrealized Kree heritage, seeing as how he's dead and I'm sure the franchise is ready to just move on and never mention him again. If it wasn't brought up in the first GotG, then it was never going to make sense to bring it up at all. Making him Kree makes zero sense to anyone except perhaps someone who wants to win this argument.

I agree there's no reason to deal with Yondu's race in any sequel (nor was there any need in the first two).  His race was wholly irrelevant.  But when his race is unspecified on screen, they would neither be "making him Kree" nor "making him not Kree" by specifying a race.

I don't consider Drax or Mantis to be humans because their comic book counterparts were both born on earth, nor would it upset me if a human heritage were revealed.  It would be pretty strange at this point, so it might be tough to pull off an actual reveal well - maybe Ego mindwiped a human girl and genetically modified her, or maybe Mantis is an amnesiac Inhuman Ego found interesting.  Whatever they chose would not match the comics any more than MCU Yondu matches comic book Yondu.

If I were Marvel, I'd have cast Charlize Theron for this role, had she been available, willing, and ten years younger. I am very much looking forward to this movie, but I am not yet sold on Brie Larson in the role, nor on the decision to set it in the 1990s (I am similarly skeptical about the choice of the 1980s for the new Wonder Woman movie). I really hope I like this movie at least as much as I liked the first Wonder Woman movie, but I have to say that this trailer doesn't quite give me goosebumps, so I'm not sure what to think at this point.

On 9/16/2018 at 6:17 AM, archer said:

Not sure why they would remove it from the theaters before it got its full 35 weeks.

I suspect they figure to earn more and faster by moving it to Blu-Ray and streaming sales now, while it's still very much in the public consciousness. Theaters could only bring diminishing returns in comparison.

Trailer is kind of underwhelming.  Brie doesn't seem to have any charisma or personality, but she's Nick Fury's inspiration to stay in SHIELD (or whatever the organization is at this point.  Retconning is supposed to make us believe the world was caught up in the Kree-Skrull wars but nobody remembered that or brought it up with Iron Man or the Alien invasion of NYC?  But we'll get to find out how Nick Fury lost his eye.