Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

If it makes more sense in your head canon to make Yondu Kree, then by all means do so. For my own part, I prefer to assign the same racial lineage to a character that he or she has in the comics unless there is compelling evidence to the contrary. Besides, he doesn't act very much like a Kree, in my view.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/7/2018 at 10:57 AM, zslane said:

If it makes more sense in your head canon to make Yondu Kree, then by all means do so. For my own part, I prefer to assign the same racial lineage to a character that he or she has in the comics unless there is compelling evidence to the contrary. Besides, he doesn't act very much like a Kree, in my view.

I find he doesn't act much like a member of the Kree military, but see nothing that distinguishes him from the Kree in general (even, for example, the AoS future-Kree).  The comic racial lineage had natural head fins, controlled Yaka without tech and were a low-tech people in the 31st century.  What's left to make Yondu a Centaurian?

14 minutes ago, Hugh Neilson said:

I find he doesn't act much like a member of the Kree military, but see nothing that distinguishes him from the Kree in general (even, for example, the AoS future-Kree).  The compic racial lineage had natural head fins, controlled Yaka without tech and were a low-tech people in the 31st century.  What's left to make Yondu a Centaurian?

That's a fair point. However, just because the Kree are blue-skinned doesn't make every blue-skinned alien a Kree. That's a false equivalency. I don't think Yondu is any more Kree than Nebula in the MCU. Surface appearance is not enough to go on. Rocket isn't an Earth raccoon despite how he looks. Korath and Heimdall aren't humans of African decent despite how they look. I mean, there are only so many skin colors to go around... 

1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Iron Fist Season 2 came out on Netflix yesterday.

I'm on episode 7. Much improved, IMO.

I was going to post the same. Only on episode 2, but the show is 10 times better than last season already. Better writing, natural dialogue, tighter scene pacing, solid acting and... yes... much improved fight choreography. The fights are entertaining and meaningful.

Well done, Marvel, in actually caring enough to improve what was pretty much a train wreck into something very entertaining.

I have only seen episode 1 of the new IF season (I typically watch only one episode per night). So far so good, but the bar was set awfully low by season 1. Vaulting over that is hardly an achievement.

Even if the fight choreography is better, and even if the writing is much improved, there's still the problem of the story being told and the obviousness of the budget restrictions imposed on the show. By now I understand that the Netflix Iron Fist series is never going to be telling the kind of stories I want to see in the style I think is required to fulfill its potential. Armed with that understanding I can watch with appropriately lowered expectations and the disappointment won't be as intense (as with season 1), though it will nevertheless be ever present.

On 9/7/2018 at 1:22 PM, zslane said:

That's a fair point. However, just because the Kree are blue-skinned doesn't make every blue-skinned alien a Kree. That's a false equivalency. I don't think Yondu is any more Kree than Nebula in the MCU. Surface appearance is not enough to go on. Rocket isn't an Earth raccoon despite how he looks. Korath and Heimdall aren't humans of African decent despite how they look. I mean, there are only so many skin colors to go around... 

My concern is more "what differentiates Yondu (or Centaurians in general) from a Kree?  This is not Yondu from the comics anyway.  That Yondu existed 1,000 years from now, was a member of a race less technologically advanced than we are now, had a mystical/religious bent and had a natural head fin.  So if we're just recycling the name, why does it matter if he's a member of an existing MCU race (the Kree) or some other race that we never name onscreen, has nothing in common with its comic book counterpart other than the superfical skin colour, and is indistinguishable from the existing MCU race (Kree) anyway? 

Starlord would be a very different character, with a completely different story arc, if he were not a human.  Whether Yondu is a Kree, a Centauri, or some unnamed other blue-skinned race would not change his character or story at all.  So why not take the path of least resistance and use a pre-existing race?  I doubt any non-comics geek moviegoer could tell you Yondu is a Centaurian, although whether he is a Kree or some other blue alien probably would not register either.

19 minutes ago, Starlord said:

...and he looked just like a human.  This highlights the fact that there are only so many colors for humanoid skin and the idea there are several blue-skinned (and apparently green-skinned) races is just a non-factor IMO.

You think Stallone is human looking?  We may have to agree to disagree on this one.