Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Greywind said:

Actually, if you look closely through Yondu's Ravager funeral, you'll see all of the original Guardians of the Galaxy from that far-off future. Stallone was Starhawk.

Is that who all those cameos were supposed to be?  Really? God, I hated that movie and hate it even more, now.

Stallone looks nothing like...

Image result for pic original starhawk

21 hours ago, Greywind said:

Actually, if you look closely through Yondu's Ravager funeral, you'll see all of the original Guardians of the Galaxy from that far-off future. Stallone was Starhawk.

Yep.  And in the source comics, all but Starhawk were humans (genetically modified for life on Jupiter, Pluto and Mercury) except for Starhawk (Stakar was Arcturian, but retconned to half human, half artificial being while Aleta is Arcturian).  That's clearly not the case in MCU, so why must Yondu be a Centaurian who lacks any characteristics of that race as presented in the comics?

I think I like the Andorian theory better!

Well, as I see it, if MCU Kilgrave can still be Kilgrave despite not having purple skin and super pheremones, then Yondu can still be Centaurian without having every characteristic of his comic book race. Feige and his cohorts change all sorts of things to suit the "simpler Marvel universe" that the MCU embodies. And I would argue that keeping Yondu as a Centaurian, without explicitly calling it out, is indeed simpler than changing him to be a Kree, particularly given the contentious role the Kree play in the MCU. If Yondu were intended to be Kree, I think it would have come up at some point during the two GotG movies.

6 hours ago, zslane said:

Well, as I see it, if MCU Kilgrave can still be Kilgrave despite not having purple skin and super pheremones, then Yondu can still be Centaurian without having every characteristic of his comic book race. Feige and his cohorts change all sorts of things to suit the "simpler Marvel universe" that the MCU embodies. And I would argue that keeping Yondu as a Centaurian, without explicitly calling it out, is indeed simpler than changing him to be a Kree, particularly given the contentious role the Kree play in the MCU. If Yondu were intended to be Kree, I think it would have come up at some point during the two GotG movies.

Why would it?  At what point, in either movie, was it relevant whether Yondu was a Kree, a Centaurian or some other alternative?  He was Centaurian in the comics because Vance Astro travelled from earth to Alpha Centauri, the closest star system.  That's not the character portrayed on the screen, so why complicate matters by adding another blue race that doesn't seem differentiated in any way from the existing blue race?  And if he is of another race, why one from the star system closest to Earth?  That doesn't matter in the films at all.

Of course, it is equally unimportant if he is a Centaurian instead of a Kree, or if he is Andorian.  MCU seems to like consolidating, though.  A lot of disparate origins are reduced to "Inhuman", for example.  A lot also gets linked to Infinity Stones, although that is presumably at an end.

9 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

Yep.  And in the source comics, all but Starhawk were humans (genetically modified for life on Jupiter, Pluto and Mercury) except for Starhawk (Stakar was Arcturian, but retconned to half human, half artificial being while Aleta is Arcturian).  That's clearly not the case in MCU, so why must Yondu be a Centaurian who lacks any characteristics of that race as presented in the comics?

I think I like the Andorian theory better!

Aleta was also in the cameos in GotG2, so her and Stakar are obviously not bonded as they were in the comics.

50 minutes ago, Hugh Neilson said:

Why would it?  At what point, in either movie, was it relevant whether Yondu was a Kree, a Centaurian or some other alternative?

Well, how about the point where Ronan is on the warpath, with Yondu, Quill, and the rest of the gang involved in stopping him? It would have been more than a little relevant to their predicament.

Clearly, with Yondu not being Kree, the current screenplay makes no room for Yondu's ethnicity to come up or become a factor. But if Feige and Gunn had decided during the development of the first film that Yondu was Kree, it is hard to imagine them not using that non-coincidence in some way. After all, why make the deliberate choice to make him Kree if you're not going to have it matter in a movie with a powerful Kree antagonist?

On 9/8/2018 at 5:42 AM, Pattern Ghost said:

Iron Fist Season 2 came out on Netflix yesterday.

I'm on episode 7. Much improved, IMO.

On 9/8/2018 at 7:05 AM, RDU Neil said:

I was going to post the same. Only on episode 2, but the show is 10 times better than last season already. Better writing, natural dialogue, tighter scene pacing, solid acting and... yes... much improved fight choreography. The fights are entertaining and meaningful.

Well done, Marvel, in actually caring enough to improve what was pretty much a train wreck into something very entertaining.

Also, while Danny remains a bit naive, he is a good deal more mature this season.  I mention that because while I got why Danny was immature in season 1, I know that it bugged the heck out of a lot of viewers.

Having now made it all the way season 2 (the move from 13 episodes to 10 episodes was a good one), I must say that I didn't see that ending coming.

13 hours ago, Greywind said:

Aleta was also in the cameos in GotG2, so her and Stakar are obviously not bonded as they were in the comics.

They could be pre-bonding or separated (as they were for a while in the comics), but it's pretty clear the group was intended as an homage.

13 hours ago, zslane said:

Well, how about the point where Ronan is on the warpath, with Yondu, Quill, and the rest of the gang involved in stopping him? It would have been more than a little relevant to their predicament.

Clearly, with Yondu not being Kree, the current screenplay makes no room for Yondu's ethnicity to come up or become a factor. But if Feige and Gunn had decided during the development of the first film that Yondu was Kree, it is hard to imagine them not using that non-coincidence in some way. After all, why make the deliberate choice to make him Kree if you're not going to have it matter in a movie with a powerful Kree antagonist?

You mean like both Captain America and Iron Man being not only human, but Americans by birth, has been so integral to the plotlines in every movie which has seen them both appear?  Or the fact that both Tony Start and Obadiah Stane were both American?  Hey, so was Justin Hammer, wasn't he?  The movie would have been so different had he been European.  And, of course, the fact that both Rhodey and the Falcon are African-American has hugely  impacted their portrayals (not to mention their interactions with the Black Panther).

Or maybe ethnicity need not be all that relevant to each and every character.

20 hours ago, Ranxerox said:

Also, while Danny remains a bit naive, he is a good deal more mature this season.  I mention that because while I got why Danny was immature in season 1, I know that it bugged the heck out of a lot of viewers.

Having now made it all the way season 2 (the move from 13 episodes to 10 episodes was a good one), I must say that I didn't see that ending coming.

Watched the last two episodes tonight. It was well done, and much better kept to 10 episodes. The Netflix Marvel shows are turning much more into dramas with some super-stuff going on, which is always counter to the action set-ups they imply. The ending of IF Season 2 was intriguing for its implications, using Brubaker's run, which is cool, but I doubt they would ever make an actual pulp style show. That would be fun... all action, spare the character bits!

Not perfect, but certainly a huge step up from Season 1.

18 hours ago, Greywind said:

Yeah, let's not go down that path. We could end up with Erik Killmonger impersonating Johnny Storm or something.

Killmonger is an interesting example - his ethnicity is clearly much more central to the character.  However, the movie version was quite a bit different from his comic roots:

[quote=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Killmonger]

A native of Wakanda, he was born under the name N'Jadaka. When Ulysses Klaue and his mercenaries attacked Wakanda, they press-ganged N'Jadaka's father, N'Jobu, into helping them; when Klaue was defeated, his father died and his family was exiled. N'Jadaka ended up in Harlem, New York, nursing a hatred against the supervillain and T'Challa, the king who had exiled him. He changed his name to Erik Killmonger and studied at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, desperate to avenge his father's death.[volume & issue needed]

He eventually contacted King T'Challa and was repatriated back to Wakanda, settling in a village that would later change its name to N'Jadaka Village in his honor. He became a subversive, with dreams of ridding Wakanda of what he termed "white colonialist" cultural influences and return it entirely to its ancient ways.[volume & issue needed] He then took advantage of the Black Panther's frequent absences in America with the Avengers to stage a coup d'état, along with Baron Macabre.[volume & issue needed] He was defeated and killed,[1] until the Mandarin claimed his body.[2]

[/quote]

Not quite the fellow we saw in the movie.  [Still closer than Mantis, I guess]

Perhaps, however, that is largely the point.  MCU can parallel the comics or depart from them.  Sometimes, the departures work well (I would suggest the Man-Ape as an example) and sometimes they are, shall we say, less well received (Mantis, Mandarin).  In the scope of character changes, I would not say making Yondu Kree instead of Centauri would be one of the more significant, or even one of the more significant changes to that specific character.

I LOVE MCU Mantis.  Odd, eccentric and innocent.  We absolutely didn't need ANOTHER ultra-competent female Martial Artist/Weaponmaster.

Mandarin, meh.  Somewhat interesting swerve.  They would have had to make major changes to the original character for obvious reasons anyways.

3 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

I would not say making Yondu Kree instead of Centauri would be one of the more significant, or even one of the more significant changes to that specific character.

Maybe not. But what would be the purpose behind making that change and keeping it both completely secret and irrelevant to the character's motives, behaviors, actions, or to the narrative he is in? Answer: none at all. Which is why they didn't do that.