Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

1 hour ago, zslane said:

Wow. That costume looks really good. I feel they should dispense with the "plates and panels" look though; it's becoming a bad MCU cliché at this point. But other than that, I think it is a very nice interpretation of her latest comic book look.

Yeah, female superheroes should be required to wiggle into spandex like the comic book artists always intended.

"Original intent" should be the law of the land!

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One comment I heard was that those skrulls look like they stepped off the set of a Star Trek: Next Generation episode, rather than out of the prosthetic make-up department of a major motion picture studio. IOW, they look like low-budget aliens. Maybe the cost of buying Fox is making Disney tighten their belts more than we realized...

1 hour ago, zslane said:

One comment I heard was that those skrulls look like they stepped off the set of a Star Trek: Next Generation episode, rather than out of the prosthetic make-up department of a major motion picture studio. IOW, they look like low-budget aliens. Maybe the cost of buying Fox is making Disney tighten their belts more than we realized...

Those comments may be motivated by a public who's gotten used to elaborate CGI animations rather than practical makeup. As makeup and prosthetics go, those look nicely detailed, and look like they move well with an actor's face. Actors tend to like to work with something we can actually see and feel rather than have to imagine. It helps us get in the mind set of the character.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

I don't remember STTNG as having bad prosthetics. 

The commentary I was referring to was not saying that the prosthetics looked bad, only that they looked cheap and simplistic (by today's movie standards), like what you'd get for a weekly tv show budget rather than a Marvel blockbuster movie budget. I'm not saying I agree with that commentary, I'm just pointing out that not everyone is impressed by the look of those skrulls. I myself choose to reserve judgment until I see them in the actual film.

I'd kind of like for at least some oddly-colored characters or races to be vividly that color rather than pale pastel versions of that color.

Yondu the Centauri was much the same pale blue as a Kree. If you didn't know the character's race in advance of the movie, you'd have trouble telling which race the character was supposed to be.

Now we have movie Skrulls who look about the same shade of green as movie Drax or the movie Hulk and not far from the movie Gamora in some lighting.

Nature actually does occasionally come up with vivid and distinctive coloration for its creatures....

Or maybe they wanted a superheroine to make the Marvel less of a sausage fest. Black Widow does not really have any powers and The Red Witch's powers are more support and plot related. They probably want a woman up there with Thor, Iron Man, Hulk and Captain America fighting right up in the villains face. 

On 8/8/2018 at 4:04 AM, Lord Liaden said:

Well, "freedom of speech" has always had exceptions, such as if someone's speech is inciting hatred or violence, which, it could be argued, Gunn's comments were (even if he didn't intend them to).

Umm no..... Freedom of Speech is just that or you get what your seeing now. Censorship based on feelings.

10 hours ago, archer said:

Yondu the Centauri was much the same pale blue as a Kree. If you didn't know the character's race in advance of the movie, you'd have trouble telling which race the character was supposed to be.

Did I miss it in the movies?  With the "techno-fin", I thought Yondu in the MCU was a Kree.  He wasn't the"noble savage/primitive archer mystic" of the comics.

4 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Umm no..... Freedom of Speech is just that or you get what your seeing now. Censorship based on feelings.

Umm yes. ;)  I don't necessarily disagree with you in this specific case, but legal exceptions to freedom of speech are well established. This PDF document does a good job of cataloguing and explaining them without a lot of "legalise."

He did not seem in any way different from the Kree, even needing tech to control the Yaka arrow.  Having multiple species who all look and act the same seems like a waste.  Having Centaurians exist in MCU (Sif's comment) seems great, but why make them "just the same as a Kree".\

And I see nothing in that link that has Yondu identified as a Centaurian (or a "not-Kree) on screen.