Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Logan.1179 said:

Just saw this, and it brought this moment alive for me again. 

wbk5hfiu07c61.jpg

Every interview I saw with Chris Evans, I could see he was one MCU cast member who fully appreciated how incredibly fortunate he is to have been such a big part of this fantastic cinematic world.

20 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Every interview I saw with Chris Evans, I could see he was one MCU cast member who fully appreciated how incredibly fortunate he is to have been such a big part of this fantastic cinematic world.

And yet, he REALLY had to get talked into doing it.   That doesn’t mean he’s not glad about it now, just that he was leery about it then.  Apparently doing the Fantastic Four movies soured him on the whole genre.

According to what I've heard from Evans, the most intimidating factor for him was the six-picture contract Marvel wanted him to sign. If he found he hated the experience, he'd be stuck with it. As he says now, that was his own insecurity and fear talking. He now believes what scares you the most is what you should try to do.

But I get the impression his current gratitude for the role is contributed to by acute awareness of how he nearly turned it down. He says he'd never have forgiven himself for losing an opportunity that literally changed his life.

Evans was so good as Johnny Storm, I was skeptical of him in the role of cap but more than any of the others, he really stuck the landing.

Honestly, no weirder than the comics have.

Yeah probably, but the comics have the excuse of having done 50 years of Spider-Man stories and thinking they have to do weirdo crap to be new.  Spidey in the movies has barely been around for more than a few dozen hours of screen time, there's a ton of stories to tell without going interdimensional.

43 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Evans was so good as Johnny Storm, I was skeptical of him in the role of cap but more than any of the others, he really stuck the landing.

I heartily concur with all your statement, but IMO it took him, and the MCU writers, a couple of movies to really hit their stride with the character. But with The Winter Soldier we finally got the essence of Steve Rogers, the man, and the Sentinel of Liberty, coming through loud and clear. From then on there was no looking back.

The only weak part of Captain America's portrayal was the end: there's simply no chance in hell he'd abandon his role as Captain America to hang out with his crush.

Oh, and the Super Soldier Serum slows aging.

Oh, and Cap loved Bucky, but not so much he would protect him from facing justice, cover up his crimes, or beat the crap out of Iron Man to protect him from doing so.

We don't know what Steve was doing all those years, but it must have been in an alternate time line, if for no other reason than that he provided Sam an unbroken shield.

Steve was born in 1918, and the events of Endgame are set in 2023. If he went back to the time of the 'plane crash in the Arctic that alone would make him 105, but he also lived twelve years in the modern era after being defrosted. How much slower do you think he should age?

Cap didn't protect Bucky from facing justice. He went after him in Bucharest to bring Bucky in himself, because as Steve said, he had the best chance of doing so without someone getting killed. What he was protecting Bucky from was being murdered without a fair trial, by government forces, by the Black Panther, by Iron Man, for crimes he either wasn't responsible for or was framed for. And Steve needed Bucky's help to stop what he thought Zemo was planning to do in Siberia. But yes, Steve did hide from Tony Stark the fact that Hydra had his parents murdered, although he didn't know until Siberia that Bucky was the one who actually did it. Cap acknowledged that was a mistake.

5 hours ago, Greywind said:

There were no "alternate timelines" until Loki.

8 minutes ago, zslane said:

Alternate timelines were used heavily in the plot structure of Avengers: Endgame. The Ancient One even had a fancy graphics presentation to explain it.

Loki kind of handwaved the alternate timelines in Endgame by saying they were allowed because He Who Remains knew that's the way everything was supposed to turn out in the Sacred Timeline. But other than that, apparently, trying to change the timeline results in a quick pruning for all involved.

How much slower do you think he should age?

He was a man in his 70s at least and that's barely a 50% reduction.  Much slower than that.

And Cap busted Bucky out of jail and worked hard to keep him from being recaptured, that's not a man seeking to see him see justice.  He beat his own team mate to soup to keep Bucky from being busted.  He went WAY WAY out of his way to make sure Bucky was free, not to get him to custody.  That's not something Cap would do, not the one in the comics.  His loyalty to his friend utterly negated his sense of justice.

15 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

He was a man in his 70s at least and that's barely a 50% reduction.  Much slower than that.

And Cap busted Bucky out of jail and worked hard to keep him from being recaptured, that's not a man seeking to see him see justice.  He beat his own team mate to soup to keep Bucky from being busted.  He went WAY WAY out of his way to make sure Bucky was free, not to get him to custody.  That's not something Cap would do, not the one in the comics.  His loyalty to his friend utterly negated his sense of justice.

going back to Thor 1, and Mjolnir’s worthiness, it is when Thor breaks these vows that Odin casts that spell of “being worthy”. The vows are/were:

[quote]ODIN: Thor Odinson, do you swear to guard the Nine Realms?

THOR: I swear.

ODIN: Do you swear to preserve the peace?

THOR: I swear.

ODIN: Do you swear to cast aside all selfish ambition and pledge yourself only to the good of all the Realms?

THOR: I swear. [/quote]

Given the above, in your opinion, would Cap at the time you mentioned, fulfil the requirements of Odin? (Ie ‘be worthy’ to lift Mjolnir?)

12 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I would take a 50% age reduction if I could get it, but that's me. Cap didn't bust Bucky out of jail, Zemo triggered him to bust himself out, and Cap tried to stop him from leaving. He held Bucky in hiding because he knew the authorities would go for the kill after this. Cap beat Tony to keep Bucky from being murdered. To me it was very consistent with Cap from the comics, but I expect we'll continue to disagree, so I'm done. :)

51 minutes ago, zslane said:

Alternate timelines were used heavily in the plot structure of Avengers: Endgame. The Ancient One even had a fancy graphics presentation to explain it.

No. She was explaining why the Infinity Stones had to remain where/when they were. It wasn't until Banner explained that Strange gave Thanos the Time Stone that she gave in.

11 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Audiences are tiring of superhero movies. Will Hollywood care?

https://qz.com/2099140/fans-are-getting-tired-of-superhero-movies-survey-says/

IMHO that's a bit of an overstatement. "Among all viewers, 41% said they enjoy them and would continue to go to theaters to see them, while another 23% said they enjoyed them but were “getting a little tired of so many of them,” and 26% said they don’t enjoy them at all." 64% of audiences still enjoy superhero movies, and one quarter of all audiences not enjoying them sounds like the number who would have said that ten years ago.