Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

9 hours ago, mattingly said:

271191037_10224599824497040_192945337821

Just ANOTHER of the great scenes from Marvel movies that get me. On a level with "On Your Left" from Endgame (and the moments leading up with Cap strapping on the broken shield and Thanos having a look of "what is it gonna take to stop this guy").

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like Avengers: Endgame, Spider-Man: No Way Home is fan service raised to the level of art. The character interactions and story arcs, the callbacks and Easter eggs, are used so smartly to enhance the overall story, rather than just for nostalgia appeal. The payoff is joyous for the people who know and love and have followed the various iterations of Spider-Man in comics and movies over the decades, but the film is still a fine story for people without that depth of familiarity. It stands on its own as a quality movie.

On 1/4/2022 at 8:27 PM, unclevlad said:

Even conceding this...the source material changes so often that, to me, details like this are meaningless.  Marvel isn't as bad as DC, but the stories are still on a drunkard's walk, if you look at em over the course of decades.  

How many black characters existed *at all* in 1962?  Much less Latino, Puerto Rican, Filipino, etc. etc. etc.  Those limitations would be completely unreasonable when the story's set today.  That's a major change in the underlying premises of the world...and the audience.

Introducing friends/expected romantic interests 'earlier than' in the comics is also dictated by the medium.  There's only so much time in each movie;  the more you want to tell the main story, the less you can move background aspects forward.  People want to see MJ or Gwen earlier, rather than later.  Similar things with Dr. Strange...how long, in the comics, did it take before we met Wong and Mordo?  And I think they adjusted Wong's role a bit.  No big deal, to me;  it's part of the process of adapting to the medium.

Absolutely.  Adaptation is essential to move between media. Comic Book Peter Parker with no friends works because we can read his innermost thoughts. Movie Spidey needs a confidante he can talk to or the audience can't access his thoughts either (unless we decide he talks to himself incessantly). Honour, but do not be a slave to, the source material.

Wong as a sorcerer is not true to the comics. Neither is the appearance or portrayal of Mordo.  The Ancient One wasn't running a college with more students than Hogwarts in the source material either. Different times, and different media, call for different interpretations.

On 1/9/2022 at 9:19 AM, Hugh Neilson said:

Absolutely.  Adaptation is essential to move between media. Comic Book Peter Parker with no friends works because we can read his innermost thoughts. Movie Spidey needs a confidante he can talk to or the audience can't access his thoughts either (unless we decide he talks to himself incessantly). Honour, but do not be a slave to, the source material.

90% of the comic Coraline was her by herself with thought captions. When they made the movie they introduced the friend so she would have some to talk to. Can you imagine Castaway without Wilson?

Watched Eternals today and came away satisfied.

It wasn't the greatest MCU movie(Winter Soldier) but it wasn't the worst(Thor: The Dark World) either.  It had plenty of action but the pacing was slower than the typical MCU  offering mostly because it had to introduce so many characters and their relationships and resolve a fairly complicated plot.

And, IMO, it did a good job of making the characters people I'd want to see in another movie. Ajak was bland but I was surprised by how much I liked Kingo(whose sidekick was a joy) and Phastos. They also took a needed step of generally lowering their power levels to fit the MCU better.

The movie certainly has consequences for the MCU both on Earth and in space. Anyone who can't see how it segues must have skipped the end scenes and the the credits scene  as we got to see Starfox and Pip and got teased for Black Knight.

Overall, a solid entry to the MCU. 

I wonder what is going on right now at Disney studios.  Big reshoots for both upcoming Dr Strange and Ms Marvel movies.  Are they changing things to match what they learned in No Way Home, or are they changing something about their planned storyline?  Usually reshoots are ... not a good sign, but sometimes they do work out well.  The Marvels film has been delayed several times as well.  That suggests an overall rewrite of the Big Plan to me.  There are whispers of more cameos which... isn't necessarily a great idea.

17 hours ago, slikmar said:

I wouldn't mind seeing someone do a John Sable Freelance or Grimjack series.

The Russo brothers announced that they had acquired the rights to do a Grimjack movie back in 2019, and in 2020 reasserted their intention to make one (link).  However, they haven't mentioned it since then.

Ever since I first heard about the announcement, I have been assuming that the plan was to get Keanu Reeves to play Grimjack, because, well, d'uh.  So, I am wondering if they were unable to get him or maybe he said yes but they have to wait until he finishes other projects.  That is of course just complete speculation on my part.

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Big reshoots for both upcoming Dr Strange

Apparently early test screenings of Dr. Strange 2 did not fare well. Between that and the No Way Home stuff, there was a desperate need to retool that movie a bit.

53 minutes ago, zslane said:

Apparently early test screenings of Dr. Strange 2 did not fare well. Between that and the No Way Home stuff, there was a desperate need to retool that movie a bit.

Maybe they will go back to just making fun entertainment instead concentrating on agenda. 

Maybe, but who knows.