Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

Well, obviously, the Soul Gem is how Mjolnir is capable of determining whether a potential wielder is "worthy".

That's a cool idea, but given the mannerisms and actions of the Cloak of Levitation in Dr. Strange, it seems its possible for items to have sentience and decision-making abilities of some type in the MCU without being attached to a Soul Gem.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a cool idea, but given the mannerisms and actions of the Cloak of Levitation in Dr. Strange, it seems its possible for items to have sentience and decision-making abilities of some type in the MCU without being attached to a Soul Gem.

Yeah, I was being totally facetious. Mjolnir, like any comic book focii, does whatever the plot needs it to be able to do. It's not likely to "make sense" or be explainable.

As for the cloak, it is open for debate as to whether or not it is sentient. Kevin Feige is rather obtuse on the matter, saying "It’s almost got a consciousness of its own..." We should be careful to note his use of the word "almost".

Guardians 3 confirmed?

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Director James Gunn Teases The Guardians’ “Integral Part” In ‘Infinity War’
http://au.complex.com/pop-culture/2017/03/james-gunn-belko-experiment-guardians-of-the-galaxy

What are any plans regarding a Guardians 3?
There will be a Guardians 3, that's for sure. We're trying to figure it out. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do really, that's all it is. I got to figure out where I want to be, what I want to spend the next three years of my life doing. You know, I'm going to make another big movie; is it the Guardians or something else? I'm just going to figure it out over the next couple of weeks.

Why Chris Hemsworth Thought Marvel Had Fired Him as Thor

http://movieweb.com/thor-chris-hemsworth-fired-civil-war/

"I was like, 'What? Are we being fired?' Marvel quickly reassured us, 'No you guys have got your own journey going on, and in order for that to work you can't be a part of this one.' Look, it turned out just perfect because we got to do a whole different kind of thing we wouldn't have been able to do otherwise."

Why Jane Foster Isn't in Thor: Ragnarok

http://movieweb.com/thor-3-ragnarok-why-no-natalie-portman/

"We wanted Thor to encounter somebody that was near his equal and that his relationship with Jane may have evolved in unexpected ways in between The Dark World and Ragnarok and we wanted to pit him against a character who was much more his equal and in many ways his superior. Valkyrie is trying to not embrace any sort of Asgardian heritage that she has. Thor thinks maybe that will create a bond between them and, on the contrary, she wants to forget it all entirely."

Yeah Portman supposedly didn't like the Jane Foster role, which I don't blame her with, she was kind of boring.  I guess Robert Downy jr had to fight to get Pepper Pots in the Avengers movie, but there's a ton of characters and not a lot of time to give them room, so it is surprising she was shoehorned in there.

To be fair, there can be a lot of reasons why the members of a given production don't mesh. Clashing personalities, differing visions of where plots or characters should go, differing approaches to the work. An entertainment production is part alchemy, not an infallible formula. When all the components mesh it's a beautiful thing, but that's more the exception than the rule. Even Marvel has experienced several stumbles along the way.

Lord knows if I'd had to spend years of my life listening to Kat Dennings give line readings I'd have moved Heaven and Earth to avoid signing up for another round. Just sitting through four hours of hearing her attempts at wacky sidekick comedy thud to the ground left me wanting to sew her mouth shut.

Yeah Dennings was just tolerable in the first movie and awful in the second.  I don't begrudge Natalie Portman for dropping out of Thor, her part was pretty minor really, despite the screen time.  The character made more sense when Thor was a guy that turned into him rather than just, Thor.

Yeah, but now she'll never get a chance to be Lady Thor!

And since we can't have Lady Sif anymore now that Jamie Alexander is busy on tv these days, all we have in the way of Thor-related female protagonists is Valkyrie.

Odd thing about that; what is the reverse of whitewashing?

Count me as another who disliked Denning's character in Thor. 

I just think she's a bad actress.  Her supposed strength is comedy, probably because she seems to have mastered a certain level of physical ditziness.  However, when speaking or trying to throw out one-liners she still comes off stiff and has poor comedic timing IMO. 

I liked Dennings' work in the first Thor movie just from the perspective of comic acting. The style she employed in Thor: The Dark World seriously jarred with the other characters in the film, but I found a lot of the humor in that film forced and poorly integrated (one of Marvel's "stumbles" as I brought up earlier). Dennings' sitcom performance the last few years has just been lazy IMO, going for the cheap laugh in the most obvious way,  even to her repeatedly mocking her own two biggest "talents."  But the whole show is like that.