Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

It's like their recycling old Buffy and Angel scripts.

Remember the Buffybot?

I do. But recently I've been thinking more along the lines of the Buffy episode, Normal Again. That's the one where she believes she's stuck in a mental institution and everything else is just a creation of her mental illness. I've watched BtVS quite a number of times, so when I saw the chair that Director Mace was tied to in the most recent episode of SHIELD, I immediately recognized it as one from the psychiatric ward in that episode of Buffy. Is that a subtle way of telling us that what we're seeing (at least in that scene) is in the fake world AIDA created?

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Villains by Season

Season One - Ward, Garrett, and Hydra

Season Two - Skye's Mom and Dad and the Inhumans

Season Three - Ward/Hive

Season Four - Russian Arms Dealer, Mad Scientist, Evil Robots, and at one point Evil Ghosts*

*Who cares is an acceptable answer

It's currently the only super hero related show we're still watching. We just can't get motivated to finish out this season of the CW shows. Maybe we'll pick up the Flash, but the storylines on that side aren't compelling. And the typical CW character conflict for the sake of it, but never properly set up, is also getting old.

Sadly, this is the last season for Agents of SHIELD, so you will soon be without any superhero-related shows to watch.

And I hear you when it comes to the CW shows. I gave up on Arrow and Flash after last season, and I gave up on Legends of Tomorrow after its first wretched episode. I am sort of intrigued by the upcoming Grodd storyline in Flash, but not enough to actually record and watch it. So except for Supergirl (and crossover episodes in the other shows that include her), all of CW's superhero shows are dead to me.

I am holding out hope for the Inhumans show, should it ever see the light of day.

Oh, we'll just catch up on the CW ones at that point. It's not like we hate them, just not interested enough to tune in with the other stuff we have going on. And AoS is also pretty low on our TV watch list at the moment, though still on it.

And there's also Legion. The first one was interesting enough to get us to watch more.

I am enjoying the Netflix shows. All of them so far.

Really enjoyed Luke Cage. Loved the sound track. Loved the low key, understated style. Less excited by Diamondback. He just wasn't developed enough, early enough.

Daredevil season 1 was a really nice build to a crazy, action packed climax. And loved Vincent Dinoffrio. (Haven't sat down to season 2 yet.)

Jessica Jones was great.  Had me on the edge of my seat most of the way. Although I'm still wondering how Jessica developed her resistance to Killgrave's pheromones. Okay, it's kinda implied that her shock at doing something horrible broke her out it, but that's pretty vague. To be developed or plot hole?

I sort of agree that Krysten Ritter was the weakest part of Jessica Jones, but everything else about the series was stellar, I thought. Had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. It was far more interesting than the snooze-fest that was Luke Cage. Mind you, I like the character of Luke Cage, and I think Mike Colton does a great job with him, but the series itself was mostly forgettable.

Jessica Jones didn't work for me because I just didn't like and didn't care about the main character. She was a very strange character to choose for a show to begin with, who again?

I really enjoyed it overall but I wish they'd kept some of the classic noir elements of the first episode for the rest of the series (Jessica narrating about her cases, etc).  It's not a proper noir-homage PI show without the narrations.

One thing that did amuse me, though (as I mentioned in the watching now thread) is how many times Jessica's CC'd dialogue (I'm hearing impaired) was *scoffs*.  If I'd made it a drinking game I would have been dead halfway through the series...

As for Jessica's immunity I think it was heavily implied to be her enhanced healing factor (which was a throwaway line) combined with simple viral adaptation - she was with Kilgrave, in close proximity, with him using his powers on her pretty much constantly for a long time - perhaps longer than anyone else.  Since his power was a 'virus' in the series I think she just eventually got better - with the murder being the last straw, the last jolt needed for her enhanced body to shake off the last of the 'sickness'.

Same with the tasers - it's not explained so there are aspects to her enhanced physique that weren't readily on display (even just a really high pain tolerance perhaps, in the taser's case, and even having bones strong enough to survive using her powers isn't directly stated).

Luke Cage was great, but they took a 5-episode story and strung it out over like 20 episodes.  They should have done half of Luke and half of Danny with them coming together to deal with the final confrontation.  The feel of Luke Cage was great all the way through, it had a nice 70s blaxploitation sense, especially the theme song.

Really? I dunno. It felt more Boyz In Da Hood than Dolemite to me. Neither of which are my thing. Something about street gangs and mobsters just leave me really bored. Daredevil was saved from that tedium by involving unconventional organizations (and villains) like The Hand and Madam Gao.

It looks like Madam Gao will be in Iron Fist also.

I have 2 episodes of Luke Cage left. I have thought all the Netflix stuff has been good. My wife, who is not a comics reader, has enjoyed them also. I do agree that Diamondback was not well developed as a villain. I actually wish they had given him super powers (as opposed to technology). But then, I think they could have lest the original chief gangster in place and had him hire someone, probably through shades, to take out Luke (maybe Man Mountain Marco).

Possibilities for the Soul Stone

-  Thanos already has it.

-  It's part of GOTG 2 with that movie's ending dealing with why the GOTG will meet the Avengers possibly to warn them of Thanos

-  It's part of Thor:  Ragnarok, as Hela would probably be very interested in the stone that allows you steal/control souls of the living and/or dead