Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

I concur.  The only way I see the MCU having real multi-decade legs like Bond or Star Wars is to continue to have character-specific arcs that are standalone with tie-in nods to the MCU, like the Ant-Man corner described earlier.  Something similar could be accomplished with certain characters like Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, and maybe they could finally get around to doing the Black Widow movie that everyone seems to want but no one will make.  Each of these would have their own tone, so BW could be much more of a spy film while She-Hulk would be more of a procedural thriller.  That might be enough to keep things fresh.  But individual characters are going to have to be given time to lie fallow, both to prevent audience fatigue and to make actor changes less jarring.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious what they have in mind for the main story after the Infinity Wars stuff is done.  The story so far has all been the buildup to Infinity Gauntlet with the soul gems.  If they lack that mega arc, I'm not sure where they go.  Most of the huge event stuff in Marvel has been X-Men or Fantastic Four related, so its hard to really do many of their comic stories without that property.  There's always the Casket of Winter story (the Simonson Thor run) but I don't see them going that direction.  Avengers had a great Kree/Skrull war run, but they've shown zero inclination in that direction so far.

I am pretty sure there's going to be some kind of "reboot" in reality after Infinity Wars, that permits replacing all the main players with new people.  Other than that, I'm not really sure what happens.

I hope Black Panther is good, that's a character I've always liked.  Captain Marvel is meh to me, but they have been good so far about making meh characters interesting (Ant Man, for example, all of the Guardians of the Galaxy of whom Rocket Raccoon was the only one I liked from his 80s limited series).

I am curious what they have in mind for the main story after the Infinity Wars stuff is done.  The story so far has all been the buildup to Infinity Gauntlet with the soul gems.  If they lack that mega arc, I'm not sure where they go.  Most of the huge event stuff in Marvel has been X-Men or Fantastic Four related, so its hard to really do many of their comic stories without that property.  There's always the Casket of Winter story (the Simonson Thor run) but I don't see them going that direction.  Avengers had a great Kree/Skrull war run, but they've shown zero inclination in that direction so far.

I am pretty sure there's going to be some kind of "reboot" in reality after Infinity Wars, that permits replacing all the main players with new people.  Other than that, I'm not really sure what happens.

Up until Avengers, the "story so far" was all about leading into the gathering of the Avengers. At that point, I think there was a confab where they worked out how some early items could become Infinity Stones and that could be the next big arc (remembering also that the early comments on Thanos at the end of Avengers was that it was a shout-out to the fans, not a hint of things to come).

What's next? Dr. Strange wasn't really linked to the rest of the movies until we saw him talking with Thor. GotG had nothing to do with the rest of the MCU, other than "hey, an infinity stone". Build the characters, make good movies and let them integrate where the fit makes sense.

Up until Avengers, the "story so far" was all about leading into the gathering of the Avengers. At that point, I think there was a confab where they worked out how some early items could become Infinity Stones and that could be the next big arc (remembering also that the early comments on Thanos at the end of Avengers was that it was a shout-out to the fans, not a hint of things to come).

What's next? Dr. Strange wasn't really linked to the rest of the movies until we saw him talking with Thor. GotG had nothing to do with the rest of the MCU, other than "hey, an infinity stone". Build the characters, make good movies and let them integrate where the fit makes sense.

That last part was noted in an interview with Kenneth Branagh that I watched. Branagh was asked about how he was fitting the first Thor movie he directed into the larger MCU. He said that Kevin Feige and the other producers told him to make the movie he wanted to make, then they (the producers) would figure out how to integrate it.

Well Iron Man was a stand alone "lets make a movie" shot by Marvel that had a fan service thing at the end about Avengers.  But it did so well they said "wait, maybe..." and started working on a project to collect the Avengers together.  But they needed a unifying theme, and came up with the Infinity Gauntlet as a possibility.  When that was accepted, it was full speed ahead.  So now their films are built around big overarching stories and events.  Now whether or not they continue along these lines in the future, who knows.

Their biggest problem is that they are building their franchise around stars: recognizable faces and names, big time actors, in some cases.  What happens when they change?  Will people accept another guy as Captain America?  Iron Man?

Well Iron Man was a stand alone "lets make a movie" shot by Marvel that had a fan service thing at the end about Avengers.  But it did so well they said "wait, maybe..." and started working on a project to collect the Avengers together.  But they needed a unifying theme, and came up with the Infinity Gauntlet as a possibility.  When that was accepted, it was full speed ahead.  So now their films are built around big overarching stories and events.  Now whether or not they continue along these lines in the future, who knows.

Their biggest problem is that they are building their franchise around stars: recognizable faces and names, big time actors, in some cases.  What happens when they change?  Will people accept another guy as Captain America?  Iron Man?

That's why I think it flames out after Infinity War.  I'm sure Robert Downey Jr likes money, but eventually he isn't going to want to play Iron Man again.  Same with Chris Evans, probably moreso because I doubt it's easy getting in shape to play Captain America.

My guess is that they'll leave the characters alive, but try to shift focus away from them and onto new characters.  You'll get some sort of "Cap is still missing since blah blah blah happened", or you might see the Iron Man suit fly by, but not much more.  Bringing somebody back for a guest appearance is easier.  I just don't think it will be as successful.

My guess is that they'll leave the characters alive, but try to shift focus away from them and onto new characters.

I doubt they will move away from incredibly lucrative properties like that. And given how Iron Man-centric the Marvel Cinematic Universe is, they aren't going to deep six their flagship character.  This is the same company that put Wolverine in every comic book printed for like 20 years straight.  Its a tricky business, but James Bond and Batman both proved that if you do it right, you can replace your main character with someone else.  Robert Downey jr is going to be some really big shoes to fill, but if he's in the armor most of the time, it may not matter.

We'll see.  At this point I can't imagine them able to replace Downey as Tony Stark, but it was inconceivable someone other than Sean Connery play Bond once, too.  Captain America is easier to replace, in my opinion.

Although I agree the names are now known, I would say that none when they started Big Names. Downey's career wasn't really going anywhere when he played Iron Man, it exploded (again?) afterward. Evans was basically known for the Torch and rom-coms, Helmsworth was relatively unknown. You could say the biggest name at the time was Scarlett Johansen. IMO the Marvel movies made their careers go up.

Also, was Iron Man done by Marvel films, or did it lead to them creating Marvel Films?

Marvel comics have often turned to impostors or brainwashing for storylines. I'm just waiting for the day when the Avengers turn out to be an LMD, a Skrull, a clone, a possessed hero, and Mystique, and they were all acting as Avengers for a year because each thought they were the only fake.

Yeah, the Imposter Dilemma is the other plot device writers resort to when they've run out of good ideas. I think it's time for writers to stop abusing that trope (along with time travel).

I'd also love to see a moratorium on the vastly overused narrative structure that opens with a scene already at crisis point, and then fades to "24 hours earlier..."

These clichés aren't clever any more. They are now mostly just irritating due to tedious repetition.

Also, was Iron Man done by Marvel films, or did it lead to them creating Marvel Films?

Seems like a good time to repost this:

The Pow! Bang! Bam! Plan to Save Marvel, Starring B-List Heroes

How Kevin Feige became one of the most powerful producers in Hollywood

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-04-03/kevin-feige-marvels-superhero-at-running-movie-franchises

Avi Arad Responds To Kevin Feige Businessweek Article

http://lrmonline.com/news/avi-arad-responds-to-kevin-feige-businessweek-article

Seems like a good time to repost this:

The Pow! Bang! Bam! Plan to Save Marvel, Starring B-List Heroes

How Kevin Feige became one of the most powerful producers in Hollywood

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-04-03/kevin-feige-marvels-superhero-at-running-movie-franchises

Avi Arad Responds To Kevin Feige Businessweek Article

http://lrmonline.com/news/avi-arad-responds-to-kevin-feige-businessweek-article

Honestly, I don't expect actors, producers, directors etc. to be role models or paragons of virtue. As long as they're not outright lawbreakers or abusively immoral, all I ask is that they turn out well-made and entertaining product. Them being great people who deserve their success would be a nice bonus, but I'm neither surprised nor disappointed if they turn out not to be.