[Police brutality] American injustice, yet again.

Ragitsu

The thing with the house. Wasn't there another similar story where the police used truck ram on a house and it was the wrong address? I am thinking there have been a ton of cases like that.

I know here in Winston, a guy was arrested because he was living in a house that a drug suspect had lived in and moved out. A deputy I run into ocassionally and I were talking about it, and he asked me what was the space between the suspect living in the house and the day of warrant serving. I said a month. He shook his head. 

CES 

... who are NOT representative of the communities they operate in...

Where'd you find information about the racial demographic of the Inkster, MI police department?  I did a cursory search online, but didn't find it.   Or were you talking about some other way in which the PD isn't representative of the community within the city limits?

Where'd you find information about the racial demographic of the Inkster, MI police department?  I did a cursory search online, but didn't find it.   Or were you talking about some other way in which the PD isn't representative of the community within the city limits?

That specific comment was less directed at the Detroit police department in specific than it was about police departments in general. There is an odd trend of police being a ) disproportionately white b ) from out of town / ward OR c ) wealthier than their constituency. 

As for the Detroit numbers, Wiki says that Detroit is:

82% black, 8% white 2% Hispanic, 8% other. 

Detroit police:

63% Black, 34% white, 3% other. 

While not widely off, that is still disproportionate. 

For MI as a whole:

85% white, 11% black, 5% other. 

The above numbers also do not tell us how many on the police force come from the communities they are policing and how many come from completely distinct burbs or areas. 

La Rose. 

you are imo using VERY incendiary language.   I don't think this is particularly helpful.   

Okay, I'm open to suggestions.  Give me another term.

Whatever term you supply needs to reflect the notion that unlike what was implied by Ragitsu's post the member of the community probably have very little say concerning who polices them and how they go about it.  It should also reflect what is shown in the video, that is to say that the Inkster police seem to consider being a black male who takes a few extra seconds pulling over sufficient grounds to beat the crud out of you.  The term should also be consistent with this being a long term state unchanged by multiple excessive force settlements having to be paid out over the years.  

Now your assessment of the Inkster police and their probable relationship with the community may not agree with my assessment, and the term you provied me with may not be one that you would use in describing them.  So it can be understood in advance just because you provide the word, the word is only for my use and I will not latter say that you referred to them in such fashion,  I mention this because while I am open to using a term less incendiary than "occupying force", any term you find for me to express my thought on this matter will by necessity not be a kind one. 

I see. Well, you and I will have to fundamentally disagree on the "incendiary" nature of that comment. And we will have to disagree not because I would personally call them "occupiers" but because it is not a far out there comment given the situation in which we live. We have a group of individuals invested with legal power who are NOT representative of the communities they operate in, who have access to not only rather standard police equipment but high tech, high threat MILITARY weaponry and equipment, who regularly comment about the divide and disassociate between them and the communities they watch, who have a proven track record of disproportionate violence and brutality towards the locals, and who maintain a force solidarity that clouds them from communal feelings and compassion for those in their charge. To me, those are strong parallels to the ideas of an occupying force. And while there are differences, they similarities are far too strong to blatantly ignore. So, while I may not quite agree, I can easily see the references and understand why it inspires such beliefs. And calling out those who make the comparison which is all too obvious as being incendiary is to not understand the position the person is taking and shuts down debate. The original post is far tamer than a great deal of posts that I, The Rose, have posted on this thread for heaven's sake. I just avoided saying "occupying". 

La Rose. 

I know.   And iirc I commented on some of the  ones you did also.  

That specific comment was less directed at the Detroit police department in specific than it was about police departments in general. There is an odd trend of police being a ) disproportionately white b ) from out of town / ward OR c ) wealthier than their constituency. 

As for the Detroit numbers, Wiki says that Detroit is:

82% black, 8% white 2% Hispanic, 8% other. 

Detroit police:

63% Black, 34% white, 3% other. 

While not widely off, that is still disproportionate. 

For MI as a whole:

85% white, 11% black, 5% other. 

The above numbers also do not tell us how many on the police force come from the communities they are policing and how many come from completely distinct burbs or areas. 

La Rose. 

I don't remember a lot of stories out of Detroit about Police misbehaviour, but I wasn't looking. 

Now CHICAGO...   I suspect those numbers are interesting. 

I don't remember a lot of stories out of Detroit about Police misbehaviour, but I wasn't looking. 

Now CHICAGO...   I suspect those numbers are interesting. 

Inkster is a subburb of Detroit. That is why I went for the info on Detroit. That said, it does have its own government and police force. Per Wiki, the city has a heavier white to black ratio: 29% to 68% black. There are only 25 police in the burb - or about one per 1000 people. I can not find demographic info on the police themselves. 

La Rose. 

What about when NJ law enforcement agencies ROUTINELY violate state law?

“Defending his tardiness, the local police chief explained that the application process usually takes more than two months, and that when Bowne died, his team was still waiting for her fingerprints to be processed. Perhaps so. But this should serve as no acceptable excuse. By state law, New Jersey is required to get back to permit petitioners within 30 days.

It didn’t. It almost never does. Instead, would-be gun owners report waiting for three, four, six, and even nine months for permission to exercise what the Second Amendment makes clear is an unalienable individual right. The rules do not apply to the government.”

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/419400/deadly-consequences-draconian-gun-laws-charles-c-w-cooke

Are you more accustomed to the lifeless droning of C-SPAN and overly polite MSNBC pabulum?

No, I generally can't stand that Young Turks guy is all. I always make negative comments when someone posts one of his videos, so I thought it would be fair to note that he was much less annoying these days. I don't watch network news. My stomach can't handle it.

The McKinney cop quit Tuesday. Almost have same justice. Now I hope the family gets a decent case against the man and city, and the prosecutor gets some excessive force charges going against the man

La Rose.

In all fairness to the officer, he did JUST unholster his weapon. That is incredible restraint on his part.

If the Police chief (iirc) is truthful that the officer violated their training, policies, and regulations, then the City may well be safe.   

He DID just draw his weapon.  He may well have been out of control, but he did NOT shoot anyone.   

Some of the headlines seem to say he killed people.     

Meh, he probably still would have gotten off. Afterall, you never know what could be hidden behind that string bikini. Heck, they look young and fit - so they probably know some deadly karate or Kungfu. 

La Rose. 

Sadly, one can be seriously injured or even killed by 'unarmed' people.  Especially if several of them attack you at the same time.  Just how many people were around/approaching him at the time he drew his gun?

Meh, he probably still would have gotten off. Afterall, you never know what could be hidden behind that string bikini. Heck, they look young and fit - so they probably know some deadly karate or Kungfu. 

La Rose. 

Having watched at least part of one of the videos, what I saw was that he unholstered his weapon when--and only when--two young men began approaching him while he was dealing with the girl. They immediately retreated (in fact ran off, pursued by other cops), and he holstered his weapon. I never saw him threaten the girl with his firearm. Did he overreact two young men moving quickly toward him? I dunno. Did he draw his weapon on a teenage girl in a bikini? No.

Having watched at least part of one of the videos, what I saw was that he unholstered his weapon when--and only when--two young men began approaching him while he was dealing with the girl. They immediately retreated (in fact ran off, pursued by other cops), and he holstered his weapon. I never saw him threaten the girl with his firearm. Did he overreact two young men moving quickly toward him? I dunno. Did he draw his weapon on a teenage girl in a bikini? No.

Funny, I saw him draw a weapon on two innocent young men after he had gone on a rampage of physically assualting other completely innocent young kids, including ripping on the hair of a young girl in a bikini.

I saw him overreact and draw a weapon on two boys who were concerned about the 15year old bikini clad friend who was crying out for her mother. Then the two other officers had to step in to remind him that while physically attacking innocent black kids might be okay, including bikini clad scared and confused 15 year old girls, drawing your weapon isn't. They then had to chase down the rightfully terrified boys because you never know what that lunatic might have done.

La Rose.