[Police brutality] American injustice, yet again.

Ragitsu

Meanwhile, in Canada...

Quebec police admit they went undercover at Montebello protest

Police came under fire Tuesday, when a video surfaced on YouTube that appeared to show three plainclothes police officers at the protest with bandanas across their faces. One of the men was carrying a rock.

In the video, protest organizers in suits order the men to put the rock down, call them police instigators and try unsuccessfully to unmask them.

A funny thing about cops and dogs:

If someone kills a police dog, it's treated as if they killed a human officer; but if one of the scumbags in blue kills your family pet for sh*ts and giggles, they can laugh right in your face and suffer no meaningful consequences for their misdeeds. About the only thing that keeps you sane when reading about such incidents is imagining a pack of ravenous hellhounds pouncing on them and ripping them to pieces over and over again throughout all eternity...

The truth is, most police officers are good, honorable people.  They just have to deal with the worst elements of society, day in and day out.

But enough about their coworkers...

When people are more afraid of the police than the bad guys, there's a real problem.  I don't think we're there, yet.  There are still a lot of people who have never had a worse encounter with a cop than a speeding ticket.  I used to be bothered by the prevalence of cameras everywhere.  Now I'm grateful for them -- they provide some degree of protection from overzealous law enforcement.  I think we're going to see body cameras become standard everywhere over the next 5 years or so.  Some police departments are going to fight against change, and are going to resist any reform tooth and nail.  Other departments will proactively get rid of the bad apples.  Regardless, I think we're at the beginning of a fairly contentious period, like the 1960s and 70s.  We are going to have to face problems that have always existed, but that the general public has not been aware of until recently.

If wireless bandwidth were cheaper and more available, we could also start wearing cameras ourselves, and stream the video to a more or less secure server somewhere. Maybe include a panic button that would signal the server to put the video (starting a minute prior to the button press) up on a web page and send out alerts unless a password is entered to cancel. Be sure to have the "wrong password" result for this look and act exactly like actually canceling, to make it harder for the cops to force someone to stop the broadcast. No more of this "confiscate your phone" business; by the time you make that "request" it's already too late.

^^^

I'm thinking there's probably a growing market for that exact kind of thing, in your car.  A few small cameras could be set up to record in front of you, behind you, to the sides, etc.  It saves it to a hard drive and there's a panic button to start streaming it somewhere else.

A funny thing about cops and dogs:

If someone kills a police dog, it's treated as if they killed a human officer; but if one of the scumbags in blue kills your family pet for sh*ts and giggles, they can laugh right in your face and suffer no meaningful consequences for their misdeeds. About the only thing that keeps you sane when reading about such incidents is imagining a pack of ravenous hellhounds pouncing on them and ripping them to pieces over and over again throughout all eternity...

I can envision that...   without regret.

^^^

I'm thinking there's probably a growing market for that exact kind of thing, in your car.  A few small cameras could be set up to record in front of you, behind you, to the sides, etc.  It saves it to a hard drive and there's a panic button to start streaming it somewhere else.

The problem is that imo the people who most need it could not afford it.   And in rural areas like mine, it would require 4G connection, probably, which is NOT accessible in MANY areas. 

As I recall Google Glasses could do that. You could open up the YouTube app and do a live stream of whatever is going on. But alas people hated Google glasses. And that makes me sad because I loved the idea.

La Rose.

Google Glass was an interesting concept, I'll give you that. But in an age when you have the NSA wanking off in their collective pants at the prospect of turning all the world into the @#$%ing Panopticon, it kinda gives you pause.

Google Glass was an interesting concept, I'll give you that. But in an age when you have the NSA wanking off in their collective pants at the prospect of turning all the world into the @#$%ing Panopticon, it kinda gives you pause.

Double-edged sword, anyone?

---

---

http://freebeacon.com/issues/dea-agents-left-college-student-in-cell-for-five-days-receive-light-punishments/

Man, the DEA covers more ass than Hugh Heffner ever could.

Okay, here's a question: has there ever been a case of someone using force, even lethal force, through self-defense, when unjustly attacked by a police officer and getting off scot-free/alive?

I know of one case of a wrong address no-knock warrant where the home owner fired through the door at the sound of police trying to beat it down without IDing themselves. He killed one cop, didn't go to jail. I was kind of surprised about that, actually. I'm in the identify your target before firing camp.

Edit: Found a few more of those. I think I found the one I was thinking of, though, and the guy served time but got out on appeal. Seems like most of the time, charges are brought, but a few get no billed by the grand jury or just aren't charged.

I know of one case of a wrong address no-knock warrant where the home owner fired through the door at the sound of police trying to beat it down without IDing themselves. He killed one cop, didn't go to jail. I was kind of surprised about that, actually. I'm in the identify your target before firing camp.

Edit: Found a few more of those. I think I found the one I was thinking of, though, and the guy served time but got out on appeal. Seems like most of the time, charges are brought, but a few get no billed by the grand jury or just aren't charged.

No knock warrants make sense in a MINISCULE number of cases, but it seems like some departments do them for the fun of it.   And don't even double check their addresses.    Or their targets inside...