Supergirl

Greywind

I realize if I discovered I had superpowers as a teenager there would be a high likelihood of many of my classmates dying.  Superpowers in reality would not be well placed in a bullied person who is using most of their willpower to maintain a semblance of hope in life.

Of course, after HS and up to the present, my use of superpowers wouldn't be so much good/evil so much as the motivation for my misanthropic self to just be left the heck alone. (maybe I am being a bit of a downer).

Maybe I'm too much of a Pollyanna, but I'm not too sure you'd become a super-mass murderer. You'd probably end up with insanely awesome powers, realize that you could wipe out Texas from orbit, and decide that the bullies are kind of beneath you. Being able to shrug off a small nuke might give you increased confidence (or at least increased arrogance). You might decide that if a superpower government couldn't hurt you, then a bully wouldn't be such a big deal.

EDIT: For example: In pre-Crisis continuity, Kryptonians under Earth's yellow sun don't grow hair. Superman never had to shave his beard and Supergirl never had to shave her legs. Neither of them ever needed a haircut. I remember one bronze age story where Superman had to convince a skeptical young boy that he really was Clark Kent by showing him his medicine cabinet (no deodorant, mouthwash, shaving cream, etc.).

I thought he shaved with his heat vision in the mirror. Or was that post-crisis?

I thought he shaved with his heat vision in the mirror. Or was that post-crisis?

Post-Crisis. Sort of. He did shave once in an Alan Moore story. As far as I know the only other time he shaved pre-Byrne, was a silver age story where red kryptonite made his hair and fingernails grow uncontrollably.

BTW, the shaving thing Byrne did, always bothered me. How does he cut his hair?

Superman, not Byrne.

Maybe I'm too much of a Pollyanna, but I'm not too sure you'd become a super-mass murderer. You'd probably end up with insanely awesome powers, realize that you could wipe out Texas from orbit, and decide that the bullies are kind of beneath you. Being able to shrug off a small nuke might give you increased confidence (or at least increased arrogance). You might decide that if a superpower government couldn't hurt you, then a bully wouldn't be such a big deal.

I probably wouldn't, you're right. But, it might have more to do with the moral upbringing (especially from my mother) though, to be honest.   20 years of hindsight, a sense of morality, was probably what kept me from doing something ill-advised of some sort, then anyhow.

Byrne has Superman run around blasting individual hairs into the correct length using superspeed, heat vision, telescopic vision, and cold breath (to prevent hair fires) in combination. Superman has Supergirl do the same thing for him. Both, naturally, have super-haircutting powers.

Proof, that things can be over-analyzed?

I probably wouldn't, you're right. But, it might have more to do with the moral upbringing (especially from my mother) though, to be honest.   20 years of hindsight, a sense of morality, was probably what kept me from doing something ill-advised of some sort, then anyhow.

This is meant to be a compliment, but I'd buy a comic about someone like that. A story about some bullied kid who gets super powers and uses them to do good, despite his crappy life, is classic super heroics.

That would be this guy--wouldn't it?

02BEN.jpg

Not what I had in mind no. I meant someone who gets powers and realizes that getting wedgies from bullies isn't a big deal. In the early days, Pete whined incessantly about how hard his life is, instead of realizing how cool it is to have super powers and moving on to bigger and better things.

Ultimate Spider-Man is closer to what I had in mind.

Just to bring the thread back on topic (sort of), this is why I find Superman more relatable than Spider-Man. Both Superman and Spider-Man understand that "with great power comes great responsibility," but Pete acted, a lot of the time, like being Spider-Man and doing the right thing was a burdensome duty. Superman always accepted responsibility as a given, a sacred trust, and a privilege. He did the right thing for the most believable reason of all, because it was the right thing, same as any cop, fire fighter, or paramedic.

I'm watching Monday's episode right now and I have a question: Why isn't anyone intimidated by terrorists? Just once, I'd like to see some one say, "If I got to this event it's going to make it harder for Security to protect me. Plus, my presence will put a lot of innocent people in danger. I'm a brilliant businessman/politician/celebrity/whatever. Maybe, just maybe, I'm being a selfish douchebag by insisting that I go."

EDIT: Never mind. The episode explained it. However, it's still a ridiculous genre trope.

I am probably the only person on these boards who is saddened by this possibility. While I understand and accept the value of crossovers, I am always a bit worried. Back with the Arrow - Flash crossovers I got worried about needing to watch Arrow episodes just to keep up with the show I liked. Luckily I don't think anything happened in the Arrow Episodes that I couldn't gleam from the Flash ones nor was it truly plot driving. Hopefully that trend holds true here, too. And also, I really hope they rely on the Flash writing team rather than the folks they have for the Supergirl team. Sheesh. 

Soar. 

This crossover isn't a done deal. But if it does happen, it is merely an act of desperation to boost ratings. If Supergirl was succeeding on its own, CBS wouldn't spend any resources on a crossover (which is a scheduling and production nightmare, I assure you). It's not something they would have done to formally connect to the Flash-Arrow-verse in any event. But tossing out a non-commital "rumor" to gauge the response costs them nothing, and offers a small insight into the possible benefit of pulling a stunt like this.

Look, Melissa Benoist is the only good thing about this series.  She is fantastic.  Other than that,  this is a third-rate female action series.  The wire work is BAD!  Like even Lois and Clark was so much better.  Whenever she hangs in the air, I think WOW she is so on a wire with her silly knee-bending poses.  It's become a joke IMO, sad.

There is apparently thousands of tons of kryptonite in the world so...who cares.  Kat is a smart woman who HAS to know she's Supergirl.

Clearly, Flash is just for a bump in ratings.  Bleh.

One of my friends biggest annoyance with the show is that you have a female lead. So of course, the head of her news location and the major villain are both women, because Supergirl can't fight men, that's Superman's job. Now, she has beaten some, but the leader of the villains and the Kat are both women. It is the reverse of saying that a Female couldn't be the villain to any of the male heroes.

Sadly, this is apparently true. Even most of Wonder Woman's villains are female.

Not sure I agree with him, but it is an interesting take.

One of my friends biggest annoyance with the show is that you have a female lead. So of course, the head of her news location and the major villain are both women, because Supergirl can't fight men, that's Superman's job. Now, she has beaten some, but the leader of the villains and the Kat are both women. It is the reverse of saying that a Female couldn't be the villain to any of the male heroes.

Sadly, this is apparently true. Even most of Wonder Woman's villains are female.

Not sure I agree with him, but it is an interesting take.

There are two basic approaches to the creation of arch-enemies.  The first is to make an arch-enemy who is mostly the opposite of the hero.  If your hero dresses all in black, is grim and humourless and has iron-clad scruples about killing, then you can give him a villain who is clad in bright colours and tries to make killing wacky.  Or in the case of Supergirl, an adorkable but not especially bright heroine of enormous physical power, you give her a male villain who is equal parts slick con artist and technological genius but has nothing much in the way of fighting ability.  The second however is to make a villain who is basically an evil version of the hero.  So for Supergirl, another female Kryptonian out to "save the world".  Similarly Wonder Woman's rogues gallery is stocked with women with something to prove and misogynist men.