Supergirl

Greywind

My current theory  is that

She's the White Martian guard who saved M'gann, but the real M'gann didn't survive, so she's posing as her to honor her memory (and because White Martians don't have the best rep.)

So basically Hank Henshaw Redux.

I still love me my Supergirl, but they really need to stop hitting everyone with the dumb stick.

The lack of adequate crisis response to those three a**hats with the alien weapons of near-mass destruction was way beyond what can be reasonably ascribed to the "silly comic book logic" rationalization. That rationalization is what explains how James becomes an amateur crimefighter (while Winn reluctantly agrees to help him). It's not how you explain the fact that the DEO had zero response, zero effective leadership at the helm, zero coordination with SWAT or other paramilitary units, and nobody with any experience formulating an effective plan of action.

Supergirl is a strong asset, to be sure, but even Alexander knew to go into battle with more than just his Companion Heavy Cavalry.

And speaking of Supergirl, if she can aim her eye-beams with such accuracy as to hit another energy beam head-on, then she can also hit the user's hands and make him drop the weapon, or burn their hamstrings so they can't get away, or burn out the tires of the getaway vehicles, or any number of non-lethal solutions to the tactical problem of three mooks armed with horrifically powerful ranged weapons.

At some point we are left with the suspicion that the writers simply hate us, the audience, and that they expect the sheer delight of Melissa Benoist to make all the stupidity acceptable. Sadly, they are sort of right, but that won't last forever...

Wow, they must've aired a completely different episode here than whatever you saw. Perfect? Not hardly. But I thought that was one of the most fun hours of superhero TV we're likely to see. Yeah, Kara needs to put some points into a Disarm maneuver, but

blocking energy weapons with heat vision is about as classic comic book as you get. "Mark" trying to play human was cute without being annoying. We got to see a nice Supergirl-and-Kara-get-invited-to-the-same-party bit. OK, James' sudden vigilante streak was a little out of nowhere. But I thought Alex's coming-out-to-myself-maybe? speech was awkwardly authentic (or authentically awkward if you prefer) and well delivered. Plus, some major Knockback rolls, which is always fun.

Plus, I think I'm developing a crush on Lena Luthor. I know it'll end badly. But there it is.

I was also expecting Kara to draft Mon-El into service. I mean, those guys weren't robbing banks with SuperSoakers. There's almost no such thing as "too strong a response" to this particular crisis.

I read that as equal parts unwilling to put him in danger, since he's weaker than her and not yet used to his powers, and being worried he might kill someone because he's not yet used to his powers. (Yeah, time for some training.)

Smallville had some good moments and well, some not so good moments. Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luther was always one of those good moments to me and I would love to see him return as that character some day. It will not happen, I am sure, but it would be great. As far as I am concerned, not one other actor has captured the sort of ruthless efficiency of Lex Luthor as well as Rosenbaum. Maybe somebody in one of the animated shows, but I don't watch those.

Smallville had some good moments and well, some not so good moments. Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luther was always one of those good moments to me and I would love to see him return as that character some day. It will not happen, I am sure, but it would be great. As far as I am concerned, not one other actor has captured the sort of ruthless efficiency of Lex Luthor as well as Rosenbaum. Maybe somebody in one of the animated shows, but I don't watch those.

Rpsembaum played the Flash in the animated Justice League.  He switched bodies with Lex Luthor (voiced by Clancy Brown) in an episode of Justice League Unlimited.  Taking the oppotunity to discover Flash's secret identity he removed his mask, looked in the mirror, and said "I have no idea who this is."

I still love me my Supergirl, but they really need to stop hitting everyone with the dumb stick.

The lack of adequate crisis response to those three a**hats with the alien weapons of near-mass destruction was way beyond what can be reasonably ascribed to the "silly comic book logic" rationalization. That rationalization is what explains how James becomes an amateur crimefighter (while Winn reluctantly agrees to help him). It's not how you explain the fact that the DEO had zero response, zero effective leadership at the helm, zero coordination with SWAT or other paramilitary units, and nobody with any experience formulating an effective plan of action.

Supergirl is a strong asset, to be sure, but even Alexander knew to go into battle with more than just his Companion Heavy Cavalry.

And speaking of Supergirl, if she can aim her eye-beams with such accuracy as to hit another energy beam head-on, then she can also hit the user's hands and make him drop the weapon, or burn their hamstrings so they can't get away, or burn out the tires of the getaway vehicles, or any number of non-lethal solutions to the tactical problem of three mooks armed with horrifically powerful ranged weapons.

At some point we are left with the suspicion that the writers simply hate us, the audience, and that they expect the sheer delight of Melissa Benoist to make all the stupidity acceptable. Sadly, they are sort of right, but that won't last forever...

Simple explaination

PsyL: Overconfidence (Very Common/Moderate)

Missile Deflection [All Ranged Attacks +5 [Eye Beams]

One of the funniest in-jokes in any series.

Rosenbaum played the Flash in the animated Justice League.  He switched bodies with Lex Luthor (voiced by Clancy Brown) in an episode of Justice League Unlimited.  Taking the opportunity to discover Flash's secret identity he removed his mask, looked in the mirror, and said "I have no idea who this is."

So?

In HS parlance, a KA is merely an attack that bypasses resistant defenses. Against a normal with normal PD/ED, her punch is as deadly as her heat vision. The big difference is that her heat vision is a ranged attack with surgical precision. And I'm pretty sure we've seen her attenuate its energy output as necessary.

maiming is something I think Supergirl would not want to do

I don't think we have to worry about that on this show, and neither does Supergirl. The writers are in complete control over the consequences of every punch, every move-through, and every encounter with her heat vision. If they wished, they could have her use her heat vision on a thug's hands (to disarm him) without maiming him. He would drop his weapon, give a sharp yelp, and maybe wring his hands in pain a little, but this is Supergirl on the CW after all, not Game of Thrones on HBO.