Supergirl

Greywind

I had fun watching it. I agree with BDH that Superman was an addition to the show, not a subtractive element.

I like the growing friendship between Cat and Kara, so that is going to make the guest appearance thing a little more painful. Too much of the Soap Opera-y thing between Kara and James Olson. I was afraid of it and my fears were completely justified. They jumped the gun on that and it is something that can't just go back in the bag for later. Meh.

Overall pleased with the premiere. Much better than Flash or Arrow this year.

It was the best one so far. But episode 2 of Flash really set a high bar. I love how they've kind of combined the look of both Dr. Alchemy and Mr. Element into a single character. He is fricking scary.

The one potential problem the show needs to work on is producing adversaries that are actually capable of putting the combined might of Supergirl, Superman (and Superboy?)

Mon-El. Not sure if they're going with him being Daxamite or not. From here: "In an interview with Collider, executive producer Andrew Kreisberg said that their Mon-El will be “our own spin on” the character."

That interview is very good.

It is a shame, though, that this (more authentic and genuine) version of Superman has to be regarded as a "throwback". And while he may be more suitable for kids than Snyder's Superman, that doesn't mean that Supergirl is strictly for kids. I suspect that this Superman reaches and resonates with the widest possible spectrum of viewers, which I think is a good thing.

That interview is very good.

It is a shame, though, that this (more authentic and genuine) version of Superman has to be regarded as a "throwback". And while he may be more suitable for kids than Snyder's Superman, that doesn't mean that Supergirl is strictly for kids. I suspect that this Superman reaches and resonates with the widest possible spectrum of viewers, which I think is a good thing.

Agreed. Supergirl is fun for us 40-somethings too.

Cadmus's focus appears to be aliens rather than super humans. I hazard a guess that the woman who appears to be leading Cadmus has a personal reason for hating aliens. Maybe similar to Alfre Woodard's character in Captain America: Civil War.

To be fair, this series has provided humanity many more examples of dangerous aliens, than helpful ones.

Either scenario is entirely plausible. It just would've been nice to have one superhero show/movie go five minutes without playing the FEAR THAT WHICH IS DIFFERENT card.

That seems to be a familiar and easy trope for comic book writers these days.  Marvel had the X-Men (Inhumans in the MCU), and DC has it's Aliens. 

I think Miss Martian is going to become Hank's Love Interest on the show.

I admit I was a teensy bit disappointed that they went the "you cant trust superheroes" route with Cadmus, just because I reeeeealy feel that meme has been overshared lately. But at least it's clear that it's the Bad Guys spouting it.

That was kind of the default mode for Superheroes in the late 30s to early 40s. Yes, even for Superman. Then DC (National) realized that kids love these things and all of a sudden, Batman's deputized and Superman is telling his secret identity to the President.

Because he needed someone to pretend to be Clark Kent and Batman wasn't available. I miss Silver Age DC. :weep: