Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm concerned that Johns is a main part of the problem, though.  So not a terribly great solution.

Based on? From what I've read it doesn't sound like Johns had a ton of creative input to the films, let alone anything approaching control. I haven't always liked everything Johns has written, and he tends to be a shade more Iron Age than I tend to prefer. But I feel like he at least understands superheroes reasonably well. (Hell, in the New 52 JL he managed to make Steve Trevor an interesting character and I didn't think that was possible!)

I haven't always liked everything Johns has written, and he tends to be a shade more Iron Age than I tend to prefer. 

That's the problem.  His version of superheroes is the same dreary, grimdark, miserable, angsty, goth vision they're already suffering under.  Not really heroes so much as guys with lots of power that fight each other causing vast property damage.

If Warner/DC want to address the concerns fans have and box office receipts are reflecting, they need someone with a different vision.  Angry, frightening, emo Superman is not what fans want.

Yeah, that certainly describes his New 52 stuff fairly well - tho I'd say it's still several orders of magnitude lighter than the Snyderverse - but it's hard to say how much of that was editorial direction across the entire line. I haven't read enough of Johns' other work to say. His Aquaman rocked tho, so at least maybe that movie won't completely suck.

Johns has his moments where his heroes are inspiring, find inner strength when all is darkest, etc...

but the violence and gore is consistently over the top and there's a 'take no prisoners' vibe in a lot of his work. I'd normally say that was the artists, but it happens in HIS stories.  SO... I think you could get some great takes on the characters, but if you're hoping for a return to no killing..eh. Maybe not so much.

He also seems to have a love of focusing on the villains more than the heroes sometimes, but he's hardly alone in that. He's still a damn good writer and I enjoy about 8 out every 10 things he writes which is better than some.

The problem with these movies isn't the writing, that's pretty solid.  Its the almost complete lack of understanding of the characters.  If you cannot grasp that Superman is supposed to be noble, uplifting, heroic, and inspiring, you shouldn't be anywhere near writing a Superman movie.  I you cannot comprehend that Batman has only one rule -- do not kill --  you shouldn't be writing Batman movies.  Its like doing a James Bond movie and having him work for the Russians and afraid of both violence and women.  Its like doing Hamlet, but nobody dies and Hamlet is a monk that chants prayers all day.  The very minimum you should do as a writer is be faithful to the characters.

The problem with these movies isn't the writing, that's pretty solid. Its the almost complete lack of understanding of the characters. If you cannot grasp that Superman is supposed to be noble, uplifting, heroic, and inspiring, you shouldn't be anywhere near writing a Superman movie. I you cannot comprehend that Batman has only one rule -- do not kill -- you shouldn't be writing Batman movies. Its like doing a James Bond movie and having him work for the Russians and afraid of both violence and women. Its like doing Hamlet, but nobody dies and Hamlet is a monk that chants prayers all day. The very minimum you should do as a writer is be faithful to the characters.

I disagree that the writing was solid. The basic stories in both Man of Steel and Dawn of Justice were a hot mess. Certainly the lack of basic understanding of the main characters is obvious and problematic, but that alone wont ruin a movie.

Snyders action direction and visual abilities saved Man of Steel in my opinion, making it not only watchable but entertaining. Its not a very good Superman film, but its a great Superhero film in terms of visuals and action.

Bat v Supe was such a mess, not even Snyder's visual stylings could save it. It was disjointed (trying to do too much, editing out large chunks of the story to cut down the time) characters motivations were nonsensical. And characters simply were not well developed. That screams writing issues to me.

• 1 month later...