Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

No, I'm not. I'm not thoroughly good either. But I do like smoke and lightning, heavy metal thunder, racing in the wind, and the feeling that I'm under.

It's nice to meet a true nature's child.  How often have fired all of your guns at once?

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some friends & I were talking about how they could actually use Superman's death in BvS as an excuse to have him come back a "changed man" and become more like the inspirational figure he's supposed to be. It's actually a perfect narrative opportunity to change the whole tone of the film universe.

But then someone pointed out it's still Snyder directing, and the same screenwriter as BvS. So what we'll get is the same shit, but with someone besides the villain cracking the occasional joke and maybe an ending where no one dies. All the details that have leaked so far lead me to predict this'll be another one I don't need to spend my money on.

Steppenwolf? Steppenwolf? Meh

A stepping stone to the Big Villain.

And I really, really want to see the Big Villain on a live action screen. He's have to be CGI, which is a shame, and there's a real chance that they would mess with him, but I still want to see him.

I'm curious, how will the general audience react to very similar Big Villains (Thanos essentially being a rip-off of Darkseid) for the two big superteam movies?  They've already seen Thanos will they feel 'meh' for Darkseid?  The 1st JL movie will be shown 6 months before IW, pt 1.  I think we'll definitely seen a lot more of Thanos in the 1st IW, but we might not see any Darkseid in JL, pt 1.  By the time you see a lot of Darkseid, it may look like DC is copying Marvel.

There is one big difference between Thanos and Darkseid that could be emphasized to distinguish them: Darkseid rules Apokolips. He has a whole planet that's essentially high-tech Hell. He has legions of followers who literally worship him as their god. He's served by a cadre of unique super-powered Elite. No incarnation of Thanos has had those things

You have to know the special handshake and password to have an elite cadre...duh.

At first, it was kind of cute, the way they followed me around and asked my opinion about everything. But somewhere between loaning the Black Rider "a twenty till pay day," driving Dr. Malvols home that time he decided to try every kind of vodka at Dennessey's Irish Bar, and kicking Iagon The Cruel off the couch so I could watch Game of Thrones, this whole "elite cadre" thing began to pall. I tried unleashing the Omega Force on them, first for somehow erasing all my Chrome bookmarks, and, later, just because they were there. (Although Baatan the Blaster tonguing his girlfriend while I was trying to talk about my master plan didn't help my mood.) The problem is that it turns out that unmaking an elite cadre with the Omega Force just impresses the rest of them more. 

In fact, I think it might actually be good for recruiting. Which is only a nice up until you hit the limits of the hot water tank. Now I have to shower at the Municipal Centre. At which point I'm suddenly I'm suddenly the carpool for the only daycare in the city that will enroll the Sisters of Armageddon. (I think it's the name? Or possibly that dog cavalry sheds so much.)

It's no way for an evil mastermind to live. 

Some friends & I were talking about how they could actually use Superman's death in BvS as an excuse to have him come back a "changed man" and become more like the inspirational figure he's supposed to be. It's actually a perfect narrative opportunity to change the whole tone of the film universe.

But then someone pointed out it's still Snyder directing, and the same screenwriter as BvS. So what we'll get is the same shit, but with someone besides the villain cracking the occasional joke and maybe an ending where no one dies. All the details that have leaked so far lead me to predict this'll be another one I don't need to spend my money on.

There's one big difference this time:

Bat v Supes screenplay was written by the Destroyer of Franchises, David Goyer, who also wrote the screenplay behind Man of Steel. Chris Terrio was brought in for rewrites and clean up after Affleck read Goyers treatment and said "somebody fix this mess!"

But Terrio only cleaned up the screenplay, he didnt rewrite it....there wasnt time.

This time, with Justice League, Goyer is completely out. Terrio will be writing the screenplay from scratch, not trying to fix someone elses mistake and he will likely be recieving a lot of input from comic book fan Affleck.

Zack Snyder is a good director who seems to have an obsession with darkness, but he's been made aware of that now. So if we can get a decent screenplay from people who respect the original properties, and the best action director in hollywood with producers who keep his tendencies in check, I think Justice League has the potential to be very good.

Now that Goyer is out of the project, I am feeling cautiously optimistic for the franchise...

• 5 weeks later...

I kind of agree. Still a bit grimdark, and the whole Cyborg is a Titan thing...

...but it might be ok.

Ideally, if this movie were to continue the "Death Of Superman" storyline, they (the producers) should bring in John Henry Irons, aka Steel.  Give him the armor, the cape, the "S" emblem, the hammer--the whole thing.  I'm thinking that the guy who plays James Olsen on Supergirl would be perfect for the part. 

Not too crazy about the scene with Bruce Wayne and Barry Allen.  Looked too much like the scene with Tony Stark and Peter Parker in Civil War.  Couldn't they have a scene where Batman meets The Flash in costume and asks him to join the alliance of heroes he's forming?

Meh. Looking more forward to Wonder Woman, but I did not hate either Man of Steel or Batman vs. Superman. I can understand why people invested in Superman may have hated them, but I personally thought that Superman, more than any other character, was a victim to the Comics Code cheese. I didn't mind the more somber version from the movies. Justice League looks like it will be a fun movie. I'll go see it.

Then again, my definition of grimdark is a little more grim and a little more dark than either MoS or BvS. Try Sunshine. That's grimdark, despite the deceptive title.