Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt like the trailer.

For one, while The White Stripes is a good band, that song was not a good fit for the trailer. It seemed to me they were trying to give this trailer a similar feel to the Suicide Squad trailers, but that is a completely different feeling movie. It works with suicide squad, but not with Justice League.

Secondly, they got it all wrong. There is no way thay Bruce Wayne would go recruit the other supers. Batman would recruit them. And he would test them first. Batman would never in a million years reveal his identity to them until he trusted them implicitly. The entire trailer is completely out of character for Batman.

I certainly hope the movie isnt full of rookie mistakes like this. I WANT to like this movie. Please dont dissapoint me Zack.

Secondly, they got it all wrong. There is no way thay Bruce Wayne would go recruit the other supers. Batman would recruit them. And he would test them first. Batman would never in a million years reveal his identity to them until he trusted them implicitly. The entire trailer is completely out of character for Batman.

Yeah, that did bug me. Especially the part with meeting Aquaman as Bruce Wayne in a crowded public place.

Edit: Maybe Bruce has been watching too much of the Arrowverse shows, where they routinely yell out each other's SIDs mid-fight.

If you gave Snyder the Captain Marvel movie, he'd want to direct the infamous secret-alien-impregnation-then-abandoned-by-all-your-friends storyline.

Hmm. While Snyder has many faults, I'm not sure misogyny is high on the list?

They're getting away from the post-Crisis "Batman is a dick" character.

Hmm. While Snyder has many faults, I'm not sure misogyny is high on the list?

Well, I was obviously referring to when given a choice he goes as grim and as dark as possible and that infamous (Avengers 198-200ish) storyline is it for Captain Marvel.

However, if you wanna go there:  300 featured one female character...and she was raped.  Watchmen featured two female characters...and one of them was raped.

TO continue on from Jeff...

Interview from promoting Watchmen, so before the DCEU:

Well, one new point of difference is make them more grim and gritty, like Hancock or The Dark Knight, which seems to also work in Watchmen’s favor — 

Everyone says that about [Christopher Nolan’s] Batman Begins. ”Batman’s dark.” I’m like, okay, ”No, Batman’s cool.” He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn’t, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that’s how that would go.

Yep, actual quote

However, if you wanna go there:  300 featured one female character...and she was raped.  Watchmen featured two female characters...and one of them was raped.

The Watchmen rape was directly from the source, and pretty central to the plot, so can't blame Snyder for that one. Not sure if that applies to 300, as I haven't read the source.

Edit: OTOH, after reading Bazza's post that went up while I was typing . . . maybe Jeff's on to something.

The Watchmen rape was directly from the source, and pretty central to the plot, so can't blame Snyder for that one. Not sure if that applies to 300, as I haven't read the source.

Yes, but I'm referring to his choices and specifically story-choices that seem to appeal to him.

Back to the trailer - based on the scene with Bruce and Diana together, did anyone else get the impression that maybe those two are involved? I know it's hard to say from one short clip, but they just seemed awfully chummy. I always liked the understated Batman-WW romance in the animated Justice League, and thought they made a far more convincing couple than the New 52's Superman-WW pairing.

But Snyder also wrote Sucker Punch and, um, 300: Rise of an Empire, ...

...and he's listed as the writer for next year's WW.

He didnt direct Rise of an Empire though and the movie suffers for it. At least Sucker Punch is a visual feast even if the story is a mess.

If you've seen the latest WW trailer, its looking very solid.

But Snyder also wrote Sucker Punch and, um, 300: Rise of an Empire, ...

...and he's listed as the writer for next year's WW.

Snyder has a "Story By" credit and no "Screenplay By" credit.  

The credits are essentially:

Story By:  Zack Snyder and Allan Heinberg

Screenplay By: Allan Heinberg and Geoff Johns

First a note on "and" and "&" in writer credits.  "And" means that two or more writers wrote versions of a script individually and not as a team.  "&" means that the writers worked together as a team. IMDB does not explicitly state "and" in many (or maybe all) cases, but does seem to explicitly state "&" when it applies. So, the above is my interpretation of the credits from IMDB which state:

Allan Heinberg ... (screenplay)
Allan Heinberg ... (story)
Geoff Johns ... (screenplay)
Zack Snyder ... (story)

Story credit without screenplay credit often means that a writer or writers wrote a version of the script that was then completely rewritten. From what I have read, it seems to often go to the first writer on the project -- even if nothing of theirs is used.

Given that there has been talk of other writers doing versions of the script, my guess is that it played out like this:

* Snyder wrote a screenplay for the Wonder Woman movie.  It was not used but he gets a "Story By" credit for being the first.

* Other writers wrote screenplays. They were also not used.

* Allan Heinerg wrote a screenplay that forms the basis for what they shot.

* Geoff Johns did a rewrite of Heinberg's script that is not substantially different enough to be considered a whole new screenplay.

So, my guess is that despite receiving a "Story by" credit, Snyder may not have actually contributed anything that is being used.