Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Wonder Woman in the nu52 is very different from the Wonder Woman in the comics decades ago: bastard daughter of Zeus instead of a clay creation graced with life, far more war like (And I think she's acted as the goddess of war but I haven't been reading the nu52 version so its second hand info) and so on. Right now, for those who love the Linda Carter version or the Gold and Silver Age take, the best you can hope for is a compromise with elements of old and new.

Still, I thought she was one of the more impressive parts of the trailer

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder Woman in the nu52 is very different from the Wonder Woman in the comics decades ago: bastard daughter of Zeus instead of a clay creation graced with life, far more war like (And I think she's acted as the goddess of war but I haven't been reading the nu52 version so its second hand info) and so on. Right now, for those who love the Linda Carter version or the Gold and Silver Age take, the best you can hope for is a compromise with elements of old and new.

Still, I thought she was one of the more impressive parts of the trailer

My wife has some of the current WW comics. I havent had a chance to read them yet but from what I have seen, they've gone all Xena with WW in the new52, which I honestly do not have a problem with.

I'd like to take the topic in a different direction, if I may, and ask your opinions on whether or not they got her right.

I'm speaking here of Wonder Woman, as she appears in the upcoming movie--

wonder-woman-batman-v-superman1.jpg

Apart from the complete lack of color, I don't have too much of problem with this conception of the character. I do have a problem, however, with the sword she's carrying.

I'm afraid I don't understand her need for a sword--or a shield or spear, or any other weapons beyond her Amazonium bracelets and her Golden Lasso Of Truth. Wonder Woman has been described in the comics as being "Beautiful As Aphrodite, Wise As Athena, Strong As Hercules, Swift As Mercury." That means to me she's strong enough that anything that can be cut with a sword or punctured with a spear can be punched through or torn apart with her bare hands, and she's fast enough that anyone swinging a fist or a weapon at her can be dodged or blocked, and anything being shot at her can be dodged or deflected with her bracelets.

The only reason I can think of for her to possess any other weapons beyond the lasso, the bracelets is that the author somehow thinks it's cool or edgy--pardon the expression--for her to be able to inflict grievous bodily harm on people. (Which, I reiterate, she is more than capable of doing with her Herculean strength.) To my mind, Wonder Woman needs a sword and shield the same way Superman needs guns. That is to say--Not At All.

That's my thought of the subject. What's yours?

WW with sword and shield is part of WW canon. In the comics, she has an entire panoply she can make use of. In some stories, things get so crazy that she whips out her god-forged weaponry and goes to town. Lets not forget she is trained as a bronze-age warrior first and foremost.

From the wikipedia page for WW

Skills and resources Edit

Diana is depicted as a masterful athlete, acrobat, fighter and strategist, trained and experienced in many ancient and modern forms of armed and unarmed combat, including exclusively Amazonian martial arts. In some versions, her mother trained her, as Wonder Girl, for a future career as Wonder Woman. From the beginning, she is portrayed as highly skilled in using her Amazon bracelets to stop bullets and in wielding her golden lasso.[146] Batman once called her the "best melee fighter in the world".[147] The modern version of the character is known to use lethal force when she deems it necessary.[148] In The New 52 continuity, her superior combat skills are the product of her training with Ares in her childhood.[100] The Golden Age Wonder Woman also had knowledge in psychology, as did her Amazon sisters.

Diana has an arsenal of powerful god-forged weapons at her disposal, but her signature weapons are her indestructible bracelets and the Lasso of Truth.

Aegis of Athena Edit

Her bulletproof bracelets were formed from the remnants of Athena's legendary shield, the Aegis, to be awarded to her champion. The shield was made from the indestructible hide of the great she-goat, Amalthea, who suckled Zeus as an infant. These forearm guards have thus far proven indestructible and able to absorb the impact of incoming attacks, allowing Wonder Woman to deflect automatic weapon fire and energy blasts.[149] Diana can slam the bracelets together to create a wave of concussive force capable of making strong beings like Superman's ears bleed.[148] Recently, she gained the ability to channel Zeus's lightning through her bracelets as well. Zeus explained to her that this power had been contained within the bracelets since their creation, because they were once part of the Aegis, and that he had only recently unlocked it for her use.[150] After the 2011 relaunch of the character, it was revealed that Diana was the daughter of Zeus and Hippolyta[88] and that the bracelets are able to keep the powers she has inherited from Zeus in check.[97] In addition, Hephaestus has modified the bracelets to allow Wonder Woman the sorcerous ability to manifest a sword of grayish metal from each bracelet. Each sword, marked with a red star, takes shape from a flash of lightning, and when Wonder Woman is done with them, the swords disappear, supposedly, back into her bracelets. As such, she has produced other weapons from the bracelets in this way such as a bow that fires explosive arrows, spears and energy bolts among others.[151]

Lariat of Hestia Edit

The Lasso of Truth, or Lariat of Hestia, was forged by Hephaestus from the golden girdle of Gaea.[141] It compels all beings who come into contact with it to tell the absolute truth and is virtually indestructible;[141] in Identity Crisis, Green Arrow mistakenly describes it as "the only lie detector designed by Zeus." The only times it has been broken were when Wonder Woman herself refused to accept the truth revealed by the lasso, such as when she confronted Rama Khan of Jarhanpur,[152] and by Bizarro in Matt Wagner's non-canonical Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman: Trinity.[153] It also at one time had the power to force anyone caught to obey any command given them, even overriding the mind control of others; this was effective enough to defeat strong-willed beings like Captain Marvel.[154] Diana wields the lasso with great precision and accuracy and can use it as a whip or noose.

Other items Edit

Diana occasionally uses additional weaponry in formal battle, such as ceremonial golden armour with golden wings, pteruges, chest-plate, and golden helmet in the shape of an eagle's head. She possesses a magical sword forged by Hephaestus that is sharp enough to cut the electrons off an atom.[141]

As early as the 1950s,[155] Wonder Woman's Tiara has also been used as a razor-edged throwing weapon, returning to her like a boomerang.[141] The Tiara allows Wonder Woman to be invulnerable from telepathic attacks. It allows for Diana to telepathically contact people such as the Amazons back on Themyscira using the telepathic power of the red star ruby in the center of her Tiara.[148]

The Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age portrayals of Wonder Woman showed her using a silent and Invisible plane that could be controlled by mental command via her Tiara [156] and fly at speeds up to 3000 miles her hour.[157] Its appearance has varied over time; originally it had a propeller, while later it was drawn as a jet aircraft resembling a stealth aircraft.[158]

During the golden age Wonder Woman possessed a Purple Ray capable of healing even a fatal gunshot wound to the brain.[159] She also possessed a Mental Radio that could let her receive messages from those in need.[156]

As a recent temporary inductee into the Star Sapphires, Wonder Woman gained access to the violet power ring of love. This ring allowed her to alter her costume at will, create solid-light energy constructs, and reveal a person's true love to them. She was able to combine the energy with her lasso to enhance its ability.

It is armor in name only. That is to say, it gets described as some handwavey high-tech super-mesh, but it is drawn like spandex. And he has all the flexibility and mobility of a Cirque du Soleil acrobat. There is nothing in the real world that has its characteristics, which is why the movies have to go overboard with it just to sell the notion to viewers. Comic book readers don't (and never have) needed Batman to be wearing armor that is visibly armor; that is a "mainstream non-comic-reading audience member" concession. Which I hate.

Yes. Bang on, sir. This is exactly how I perceived his costume to be :yes: .

Sure, it could have "armored layers", but it was never "armor" armor.

Wonder Woman is about as much a pacifist as Superman or Batman. That is to say that she is a pacifist in name only. Moreover, just because she and her sister think they are more civilized and advance than man's world doesn't mean that they are. They are a group of warrior women. Not pacifist pushovers.

Uh, while there have been instances - very few and far in between - when Superman and Batman were pushed to kill (we're talking about universe-ending threats here), Wonder Woman has been much more likely to kill and not lose sleep over it.

This is almost her shtick. Also, remember that she was raised in a warlike culture/associated with THE god of war, whereas Superman and Batman were not (yes, Batman received extensive martial arts training later on, but it is not quite the same thing).

As an aside, i'm not a fan of the live-action adaptation actor for Wonder Woman. She's seriously lacking the bulk needed to portray someone highly brawny and athletic like Diana.

Impossible. Unless they're using steroids, women don't bulk up the way men do. In fact, unless they're using steroids men don't get as big as modern comic book superheroes, hence the padding and fake muscles.

Impossible. Unless they're using steroids, women don't bulk up the way men do. In fact, unless they're using steroids men don't get as big as modern comic book superheroes, hence the padding and fake muscles.

No one is calling for a 1:1 carbon copy of the comic book character herself.

There are taller and/or more muscular women, though, that aren't necessarily full-time weightlifters or WWE/WWF regulars. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Gadot is simply too thin. She could get the acting down right, but the physicality won't be there.

Every generation feels the need to rewrite the mythical heroes of popular culture to better suit their own temperment. The current cinematic depictions of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman have less to do with traditional portrayals and more to do with matching the expectations of today's youth. Apparently they want their superheroes to be Medal of Honor avatars rather than four-color champions of wholesome goodness. This Wonder Woman must exist in a post-The 300 (post-Spartacus) era in which we should not be surprised to hear an omniscient voice intone "Finish him" and see her decapitate her opponent with grim resolve. This may not bear any resemblence to the character as conceived by Marston, but it clearly resonates with where pop culture has gone since.

Every generation feels the need to rewrite the mythical heroes of popular culture to better suit their own temperment. The current cinematic depictions of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman have less to do with traditional portrayals and more to do with matching the expectations of today's youth. Apparently they want their superheroes to be Medal of Honor avatars rather than four-color champions of wholesome goodness. This Wonder Woman must exist in a post-The 300 (post-Spartacus) era in which we should not be surprised to hear an omniscient voice intone "Finish him" and see her decapitate her opponent with grim resolve. This may not bear any resemblence to the character as conceived by Marston, but it clearly resonates with where pop culture has gone since.

Fully agreed.

The New 52 versions, and recent cinematic versions, of the Big Three (especially Superman and Wonder Woman) are depressingly dreary.

Consider this a healthy reminder that they themselves are not free from the zeitgeist of our time.