Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I just find the preoccupation with turning superheroes into soldiers tiresome. It makes sense for a character who always was a soldier (Capt. America), but I'm just not into a Batman who sees his crusade as a war on crime, or a Superman who has to resist his "rightful place" in what remains of Zod's Kryptonian legions, or a Wonder Woman who is now a warrior princess taking over for the God of War. War, war, war. Ugh.

Don't get me wrong. I love me my war movies and my war games and my WWII documentaries and so on. I just don't find it entertaining to have my superheroes turned into militaristic proxies. It would be like watching pizza get turned into health food... (it's just wrong on so many levels).

Oh I have never hid my preference for curvy women with large breasts. I am not that much an ass man though. I like boobs, hips and legs.

However, my personal preference is not my motivation for my questioning of miss Gadot in the roll. If WW was drawn as skinny/athletic body frame, I would want the actress to be skinny.

I want the characters to fit their iconic images. Im the guy that complains that they turned Johnny Storm black. That Jessica Alba was all wrong as Sue Storm. That Hugh Jackman was too tall to be Wolverine. That Lex Luthor has hair. That Michael Keaton wasnt big enough to be Batman.

Gal Gadot being too skinny is just the latest. When we start discussing the casting of iron fist, I will probably complain that the actor isnt blonde (easily fixed though). And I will probably burst a blood vessel when they inevitably mis-cast Carol Danvers.

I too think Gal Gadot is miscast as Diana. 

Who do you have in mind for casting for Carol Danvers? 

Can she act? We tried watching that show, but it was pretty bad, so haven't seen her in it.

Edit: And talk about body type mis-casting, the guy playing Richard was waaaaay too small.

She can act okay. The issues with Seeker in general wasnt the acting. It was about average as tv shows go. It was their butchering of the elements of the original novels that people didnt like. My wife never read the. Books and sshe loved the show.

Kind of disheartening to see a discussion about fidelity to a physical build that tends to define a character ending up feebly degenerating into minor accusations of sexual fetishization (especially since comic book readers tend to have high standards in regards to translation accuracy when it comes to their media being transformed into live-action adaptations, no matter which particular subject in said media is being discussed).

I like Charlize Theron, but I don't see her as Carol Danvers.

I'd go with Yvonne Strahovski. Emily Blunt and Natalie Dormer have been mentioned/rumored to be in the running for the part, and I think they'd probably be OK. But Yvonne's my top pick.

I was thinking Charlize because 1: she has the look. 2: she has the acting chops. 3: she's tall enough.

Yvonne Strahovsky I am familiar with from Chuck and from Dexter. I didnt see a lot of range from her between those two roles. She has the look (not as close as Charlize IMO) and shes just an inch shorter than Theron so no problem there. But I'm not sure about her acting chops.

Emily Blunt....doesnt look like Danver as much as Strahovsky and Theron do. I would disqualify her on that alone.

Natalie Dormer I am familiar with from the Tudors. Great actress and she actually resembles more recent designs of Danvers as Captain Marvel as opposed to the iconic Ms Marvel design which Theron and Strahovsky resemble. She's just too short, but CG wizardry can fix that easily.

Out of the three you mentioned, I would favor Dormer for her acting ability, but my personal pick remains Theron for her crazy resemblance to Ms Marvel Danvers and her acting prowess.

Granted, we're early in the Captain Marvel casting saga, so other actresses could appear that might change my mind.

Charlize could make a pretty good Danvers, but like PG I'd rather see less of a name.

That said, the MCU films to date have been pretty star studded.

My support of Theron has zero to do with her star power and has about 80% to do with the fact the she freakin looks like Danvers. The other 20% is because she is a fantastic actress. And she's pulled off physical heroine roles before with Aeon Flux and the more recent Road Warrior film. She is very believable in those physical roles.

Who else other than Charlize Theron.

Oh, not a fan of hers. If she gets cast I'll be disappointed. I'd lean towards Yvonne Strahovski (who is Australian, so national reasons), and Tricia Helfer based on this image (who I'm also not a fan of but that image just looks like Carol to me). 

I was thinking Charlize because 1: she has the look. 2: she has the acting chops. 3: she's tall enough.

Yvonne Strahovski I am familiar with from Chuck and from Dexter. I didnt see a lot of range from her between those two roles. She has the look (not as close as Charlize IMO) and shes just an inch shorter than Theron so no problem there. But I'm not sure about her acting chops.

Emily Blunt....doesnt look like Danver as much as Strahovski and Theron do. I would disqualify her on that alone.

Natalie Dormer I am familiar with from the Tudors. Great actress and she actually resembles more recent designs of Danvers as Captain Marvel as opposed to the iconic Ms Marvel design which Theron and Strahovski resemble. She's just too short, but CG wizardry can fix that easily.

Out of the three you mentioned, I would favor Dormer for her acting ability, but my personal pick remains Theron for her crazy resemblance to Ms Marvel Danvers and her acting prowess.

Granted, we're early in the Captain Marvel casting saga, so other actresses could appear that might change my mind.

If you are talking height & weight. Carol Danvers is 180 cm (5' 11") and 56 kg (123 lbs) according to an official Marvel book I own

From the website Celebrity Sizes

Charlize Theron: 177 cm (5' 9 1/2") 55 kg (121 lb)

Yvonne Strahovski: 176 cm (5' 9 1/4") 59 kg (130 lbs)

Tricia Helfer: 180 cm (5' 11'), 58 kg (128 lbs)

Conclusion, of those three actresses, two suggestions by me, and one by you, the one closest to Carol is Tricia Helfer. 

My support of Theron has zero to do with her star power and has about 80% to do with the fact the she freakin looks like Danvers. The other 20% is because she is a fantastic actress. And she's pulled off physical heroine roles before with Aeon Flux and the more recent Road Warrior film. She is very believable in those physical roles.

Yvonne also does the physical heroine role well, from both Chuck which we both have seen and also 24: Live Another Day.  I think you should watch 24 Live Another Day, where Yvonne has to play opposite Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer. 

Ps: Apparently i.e. rumour has it, Carol has already been cast, for what it is worth. 

I guess I just find the preoccupation with turning superheroes into soldiers tiresome. It makes sense for a character who always was a soldier (Capt. America), but I'm just not into a Batman who sees his crusade as a war on crime, or a Superman who has to resist his "rightful place" in what remains of Zod's Kryptonian legions, or a Wonder Woman who is now a warrior princess taking over for the God of War. War, war, war. Ugh.

Don't get me wrong. I love me my war movies and my war games and my WWII documentaries and so on. I just don't find it entertaining to have my superheroes turned into militaristic proxies. It would be like watching pizza get turned into health food... (it's just wrong on so many levels).

I would agree with you if it wasnt for the fact that Diana comes from a warrior culture, was trained as a warrior and is considered the best warrior of her people. Its kind of ingrained in the character. This origin was established early on, then promptly ignored. More recent writers have emphasized this forgotten aspect of her character and I think WW is more interesting for it. I recently read a WW Annual where Diana and Donna Troy have a fierce sword fight and it fit their environment completely. Donna was straight up trying to KILL Diana. Had Diana fought with anything less than a warrior mentality, she would have lost, and nearly did anyway.

Oh, not a fan of hers. If she gets cast I'll be disappointed. I'd lean towards Yvonne Strahovski (who is Australian, so national reasons), and Tricia Helfer based on this image.

If you are talking height & weight. Carol Danvers is 5'11" and 112 lbs, 56 kg according to an official Marvel book I own.

From the website Celebrity Sizes

Charlize Theron: 5' 9 1/2", 121 lb, 55kg

Yvonne Strahovski: 5' 9 1/4", 130 lb, 59 kg

Tricia Helfer: 5' 11' 128 lbs, 58 kg

Conclusion, of those three actresses, two suggestions by me, and one by you, the one closest to Carol is Tricia Helfer.

Yvonne also does the physical heroine role well, from both Chuck which we both have seen and also 24: Live Another Day. I think you should watch 24 Live Another Day, where Yvonne has to play opposite Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer.

Ps: Apparently i.e. rumour has it, Carol has already been cast, for what it is worth.

Tricia Helfer would rock that Ms Marvel out fit! But theres something about her face I dont like.....perhaps the positioning of her cheekbones....which is too bad because her height and body frame are perfect.

627906-helfer__tricia_73.jpg

I still favor Theron for her look.

The Marvel Wiki has Danvers weight at 165lbs (75kg) which is more realistic based on her musculature. We wont find an actress that fits that so I wouldnt worry it.

Speaking of Galactica stars for the role. Some people are pushing for Katie Sackoff to be Danvers. The good thing about Sackoff is that she can bulk up. She's too short, but again technogy can fix that.

katee-sackhoff-at-riddick-premiere-in-we

Generally Batman moves fast enough that bad guys don't hit him.  He can dive into a room full of thugs and they'll miss every time.

a057bf19c32ca208a4e81c5df995da7e.jpg

Robin is running around with his legs completely uncovered.  It's superhero fantasy -- it isn't actually realistic in any way.

Batman's costume being armored is a more recent thing.  That doesn't mean that they might not have mentioned it once or twice back in the 40s (bulletproof costume or something), but it clearly doesn't behave that way when he moves or when he jumps.

I figured that Pre-Crisis, if Batman were really worried about getting shot, he'd just borrow some of Superman's Kryptonian fabric.  That stuff can survive a nuclear blast.  It's only Post-Crisis that it got retconned so that Supes had a protective skintight force field that kept his costume in place.

There's a reason Batman wears dark colors and Robin's color palette screams shoot here.