It's time for Christmas.....

Badger

5 hours ago, Cancer said:

I met my great-grandfather (he died when I was 14 or so) and my mother was 20 years 5 months when I was born ... so .. guilty, I guess.  The others in that line were 24 and either 20 or 21 (3 years after she graduated from high school) when they dropped their sprogs.

Well, both my grandmothers were still teenagers when having their first kid (well check that paternal grandmother was 20, I got my dad's 2 older sisters birthdays mixed up).

Maternal grandmother was 35-37, at first grandchild (I have to go back and look on birth year of my mother's older niece/nephews).  My mother as the youngest was an aunt upon birth.

5 hours ago, Cancer said:

I met my great-grandfather (he died when I was 14 or so) and my mother was 20 years 5 months when I was born ... so .. guilty, I guess.  The others in that line were 24 and either 20 or 21 (3 years after she graduated from high school) when they dropped their sprogs.

Paternal Grandfather was a great-great grandpa before he died.  (even had a picture of all 5 in the local paper back in the day.)

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

Dropping kids in your mid-teens.  I'm not that fond of kids.

Dropping a few kids before you can get a drivers license...scary world.

“Mom, the baby’s coming, can you drive us to the hospital, ‘cause Bobby isn’t allowed to drive at night yet?”

“Son you’re grounded.”   “Yeah, well, Grandma says you are too!”

11 hours ago, Cancer said:

Dropping kids in your mid-teens.  I'm not that fond of kids.

Well, maternal grandmother was in  late-ish teens.   (married at 16 1/2, had first child almost exactly one year later).

Maternal Grandparents were born in the 1890s, however. (married in 1915)

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I would like to unleash a hippo upon Whoville.

What?

Bahoo boray bay hoo.. oh god, it got Murray!

Murray Who?

Who else?!

It'll bite off your button hooks, it'll savage your nose! It'll snap you up faster than a winter does a rose! Get your kids all to safety, warn all the wives! The Hippo is coming! It'll eat you alive!

And on that bloody Christmas, a message was sent, Hippos are dangerous- One hundred percent

26 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Hippos are only dangerous if they are hungry. An then four of them will surround their prey and engage in a feeding frenzy. I saw that on TV so it must be true

Never carry marbles around hippos.  They can smell them, and it will trigger a noisy, clattering frenzy almost immediately. 

3 hours ago, Badger said:

I'm assuming Chuanaka is another spelling of Hanukah?

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

Yes. 

It is very difficult to find an Anglicized spelling of a Hebrew word that everyone can agree on. I wonder if people have the same problem with Arabic, which also uses a different script.

Hebrew is complicated by the fact that there are no letters for the vowels -- only consonants. The reader must fill them in.

Yeah, I can relate in one way..  I've had my share of problems finding out translations for Japanese on the internet.  The English to Japanese translations, gets translated into  Japanese symbols, that doesn't help a person like me who cant read Japanese, I need to find one that translates into a Romanized version of Japanese.

On 12/20/2019 at 12:27 PM, Duke Bushido said:

Don't get me wrong: I love the festivities and preparation that goes into "getting ready for Christmas," but let's not forget the holidays that live in Christmas's shadow:

Chuanaka, Kwanzaa, Toyota-Thon, and the almost-forgotten yuppies enjoying their Honda Days.... 

Share the love, people. 

On 12/20/2019 at 5:15 PM, Old Man said:

...Thanksgiving, Halloween...

...Independence Day, Last Day of School...