Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

I ... maybe shouldn't read news sometimes.  I just wanted to say that.  When news from particular corners of the world leaves me... well, "sad" is one way to put it... but I'm not even sure if my computer gaming hobby can REALLY take my mind off it.  I'm trying to be oblique, here.

Usually I can shrug it off.  Not sure why I'm having trouble today.

So true.   I'm just hoping it's not overly violent.  

In some ways, where we are now is somewhere we'd end up at, sooner or later.  SOMEONE was gonna push the envelope and force some of these points forward.  Trump's just gone 10 or 12 steps beyond what anyone else has done, and thus forced consideration of a WHOLE lot of issues.

Which is why I believe that in the long run, the Trump era could turn out to be a good thing. Rot has existed deep in American society and politics for a long time. It can't be recognized and cleaned out unless and until it's brought to the surface. Maybe Trump's blatant simplistic provocation has brought it out sooner than it otherwise would have been... and before it's too late to purge it.

I found this meme on the Internet -- apparently it's been floating for a few years. No author attributed, but it's a pithy summation:

“Trump is the poor man’s idea of a rich man, the weak man’s idea of a strong man, and the stupid man’s idea of a smart man.” ~ Anonymous

People are saying that it's horrible that Trump is being removed from the ballot in certain states. The voters should be able to get their say. Trump is the Republicans leading candidate. The press is currently focused on Trump and all other Republicans cannot get attention,  even if they pay for it.  I just found out there are 5 Republicans running,  not counting Trump,  how many can you name without looking them up? This combined with Trump's comments about being a dictator should scare everyone away from him. This alone should make it so that he can not get within any point of this solar system of the White House. 

If the voters should have their say, then they shouldn't have only two choices. They shouldn't be limited to whoever a given political party puts up -- political parties aren't even mentioned in the Constitution. Candidates should not be restricted to whoever can raise the most money. There shouldn't be electoral colleges that can skew the vote away from who the majority vote for. On the other hand, if they want their votes to matter, all adult citizens should be obliged to vote.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/prague-university-shooting-leaves-several-dead-police-say-2023-12-21/

PRAGUE, Dec 21 (Reuters) - A gunman killed 10 people and seriously wounded 11 others at a Prague university on Thursday before being "eliminated", according to police and Prague emergency services.

Czech police said shortly after 3 p.m. (1400 GMT) that they were responding to the shooting at Charles University's faculty of arts building in Jan Palach Square, before reporting the shooter had been "eliminated".

The Prague emergency services department said on social platform X that 11 people had been killed including the gunman and 11 were seriously wounded.

Trump says he wants to be King. I have decided to let him be one  - a Parliament King. This will allow him to claim kingship all he desires, no power. In addition, every leader from this list he will be required to bow to: U.S., U.K, EU member states, AU member states, Asian Confederate states (that will be around 95% of the countries, 45% world population).

The Maine Secretary of State rules that Trump does not qualify for the Presidential ballot, due to his role in the Jan. 6th events.  Turns out, it's how the Maine law works...it first has to go through the SoS's office, as the chief election officer for the state.

This entire election is shaping up to be ugly, in ways that transcend the normal electoral politics. The entire structure of the election is going to be called into question, if Trump doesn't win...he'll assert the whole process was poisoned, if he's not on all the ballots.  And in any state if he's excluded?  Oh man...nightmare.  Alternate selection of electors, election challenges, potentially CONSTANT objection to seating delegates when the time comes to certify the delegates. Absolute chaos.

6 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

This entire election is shaping up to be ugly, in ways that transcend the normal electoral politics. The entire structure of the election is going to be called into question, if Trump doesn't win...he'll assert the whole process was poisoned, if he's not on all the ballots.  And in any state if he's excluded?  Oh man...nightmare.  Alternate selection of electors, election challenges, potentially CONSTANT objection to seating delegates when the time comes to certify the delegates. Absolute chaos.

Yeah, I am hoping that SCOTUS straightens this out soon.

We're all familiar with Trump as "Crybaby Conqueror." That observation is not why I'm posting this opinion piece. Rather, it's the last part on his plausible influence by a well known pro wrester of his youth. This is not the only connector I've heard of between Trump and pro wrestling, either, though I'd have to search a while to find the specific story. The over-the-top theatricality and braggadicio -- yeah, I can see it.

'Crybaby conqueror': Columnist nails Trump's appeal to MAGA fanatics (msn.com)

Dean Shomshak