Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Same theme as the video above, but less about Cohen self-promoting...

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4490043-trumps-victories-overshadow-weaknesses-in-reelection-bid/

Let's also note that distraction has been a Trump tool for quite some time...altho I do agree there's a very strong likelihood it'll rise as the trials move forward.

I remember the kind of journalist Bruce Maiman asks for in his opinion article. The kind who would hold public figures to account, who would ask them the hard questions. Journalists who took seriously their obligation to inform the public of the truth, as factually and objectively as they could. They used to be common. Now it's all propaganda and polemics. Even the best of "information" media figures almost all come from a place of obvious bias.

6 minutes ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

And now the Supreme Court is going to hear Trump's "presidential immunity" appeal. Doing so gives it legitimacy. They should have shut that @#$% down immediately. I apologize for the frustration in my posts, but I get sick and tired of stupidity and ignorance seemingly always winning....

Same here. Ruined my whole day. 👎

15 minutes ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

And now the Supreme Court is going to hear Trump's "presidential immunity" appeal. Doing so gives it legitimacy. They should have shut that @#$% down immediately. I apologize for the frustration in my posts, but I get sick and tired of stupidity and ignorance seemingly always winning....

It's corruption, not stupidity or ignorance.

Which is not better.

1 hour ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

I get the feeling this case will be set up to slow things down so  Trump can still run.

2 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

They could have, too...maybe.

https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/essay/artII-S3-5-1/ALDE_00013392/

Trump's lawyers picked a procedural ground that has not been addressed...the need to impeach first.  

On the Illinois ruling...much of it, to me, is trying to push the SC to decide.  Early voting has already started...which might, unfortunately, push the SC to bar the states from kicking Trump off the ballots.

Trump is a master at abusing the system's safeguards.  The system's fundamentally set up to ensure that a defendant has every chance to challenge the allegations made against him.  There's a very old philosophical contrast between

--"it is better that a guilty man goes free, than to let 1 innocent man be falsely imprisoned"

vs.

--"it is better that an innocent man be falsely imprisoned, than to let a guilty man go free"

The other concern is the abuse of power by the government.  The direct abuse...improper arrests, star chambers, that sort of thing...were what the Constitution sought to avoid.  What Trump does, tho, is to use that as the shield...to abuse power in other ways.  Because the system's inherent inertia works in his favor.

15 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

Okay, everybody take a deep breath. The sky is not falling. :)  First of all, the SCOTUS will hear arguments on this case in the third week in April. That's a fast-track, meaning that unless the court drags its feet on the trial to an incredible degree, a ruling will still happen before the general election. Trump did not want that. Second, Trump is arguing that a US President is immune to criminal prosecution for any and all actions taken while in office. That is incredibly, dangerously broad to try to get through any court, regardless of its bias. Third, the court is aware that any ruling about Presidential immunity that applies to Donald Trump, also applies to Joe Biden, and any actions he might take.

The SCOTUS may wish to establish the appeals court ruling as universally applicable, ending the controversy. Or it may wish to define the limitations of presidential immunity. The mere fact that it's hearing the case does not automatically mean it will rule in Trump's favor.

Edited by Lord Liaden

On 2/26/2024 at 9:53 PM, Old Man said:

Meanwhile, people are finally starting to report on possible methods of overthrowing this fall's elections. One method goes like this:

1. Speaker Johnson refuses to swear in some number of Democratic winners of House elections on 3 Jan 2025, citing 'election irregularities'
  2. Republicans therefore maintain control of the House
  3. On 6 Jan 2025, the skewed House refuses to certify some number of electoral votes, citing 'election irregularities'
  4. As a result neither candidate reaches 270 electoral votes and the Presidency defaults to a vote in... the House of Representatives
  5. Trump wins.

Logically, therefore, we can expect some 'election irregularities' on Nov 6. This could be anything--complicit state SoSes making stuff up, Fox News making stuff up, actual attempts to sabotage or corrupt an election, or plain old terrorism with guns and bombs.

Other coup methods are also outlined, such as the House Speaker taking over as "acting president" in the event of a contested election outcome, or any number of Constitutional legal challenges that would go straight to the SCOTUS.

The article does mention a handful of potential solutions, but ultimately Americans are going to have to be ready. At minimum people need to get the word out so we all know what to watch for. Should the worst occur, it might take a general strike to get the usurpers to step down. Winning is the only way Trump stays out of jail. He will cheat. Again.

On the flip side, apparently some Democrats are trying to think of last-minute ways to prevent Trump from taking office:

How Democrats Could Disqualify Trump If the Supreme Court Doesn’t (msn.com)

Though the article title isn't very accurate. Mostly it quotes Congressional Democrats saying they really, *really* want to take the "insrrection question" off their hands, and off the table. Best, of course, would be SCOTUS ruling that, why yes, Donald Trump's actions on Jan. 6 constituted insurrection and he is disqualified. But that's not likely. Quoted Dems say that if SCOTUS rules the other way, that the 14th Amendment definitely does *not* apply, they'll accept it and move on. It's only if SCOTUS avoids any clear ruling that Congressional action (and constitutional crisis) even becomes possible.

I admit: I do think Dems should look into any sort of legal pettifoggery they can use to keep Trump out of office. But they also need to recognize that Republicans are much better at this sort of thing than Democrats. It's probably more important to anticipate the quasi-legal tricks Republicans will attempt, and find ways to forestall them.

Dean Shomshak

Edited by DShomshak

19 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Republicans used to be much better at this sort of thing than Democrats. Recent Republicans look more like the legal and political equivalent of the Keystone Cops.

Yes, but this is a dangerous attitude to take when those Keystone Cops barely failed on 1/6/2021.  And I mean barely.  

And nearly all the people who were in charge of the insurrection attempt are still free.  Many are still in power, such as House Speaker Mike Johnson.

I read the following:

Trump has also boasted on the 2024 campaign trial about how he passed a test, believed to be the Montreal Cognitive Assessment, which is used to detect cognitive impairment or signs of decline such as dementia.

"You'd be amazed at how many people would fail it," Trump told a crowd of his supporters in Las Vegas in January. "There's only about two percent in this room who can do it."

So, what he's saying is that 98% of his supporters are cognitively impaired. (nods) I can agree with that.  Pretty bold of him to come right out and say it, however.

1 hour ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I read the following:

So, what he's saying is that 98% of his supporters are cognitively impaired. (nods) I can agree with that.  Pretty bold of him to come right out and say it, however.

Conveniently overlooked is why they felt Donald needed a cognitive test in the first place.