A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

It's a good game but I have a bit of trouble with the ladies names,

"Norma, Shirley, Stella, Harriett and Chloe" Chloe's not too bad she could be a knight, but Norma the adventurer?

Shirley the Ascended One?

Stella? Stella's not so bad I guess. It's just the other three...

Are these Olympians really the best that there are? Or are they just the best out of a handful of people crazy enough to spend all their free time on these weird sports?

I think of them as "the best in the Olympic track". They're very good, maybe the best, but there are often better out there. This is particularly true in Boxing, Basketball, Soccer; any sport where you can make a serious living. The Winter Olympics may be an exception. There are probably not many luge racers who turn down the Olympics for a pro-luge gig.

Tomorrow at noon, I travel to Adelaide for a week to attend a wedding on Saturday at Port Pirie. I get back next Monday and don't anticipate much if any time to view the boards.

While I'm in Adelaide I'll try to find a Internet Cafe and view the boards.

So my Iron Kingdoms group had a big blow out today. The city of Corvis has been attacked by a huge legion of undead. THey hit the walls and came up through the underground during the Longest Night Festival. Our party is simply trying to survive at this point. We're 3rd level characters for Pete's sake.

So we're just getting through our first battle of the evening (in which my Ogrun Fighter managed to miss a skeleton for 10 consecutive turns and 14 turns total. I kid you not I rolled 6 consectutive "7"s on a d20. I was almost in tears.

Anyway, as the battle is finally winding down (we killed 21 of them) our sorcerer who is a) not bright, and B) trying in vain to conserve his spells since we know this was just the beginning; is standing around watching for more undead to burst upon us, rolls a nat 20 on his spot and sees a guy in all black with a wide brimmed hat swing from one building into the open window of another. He makes a "Zorro" comment, we laugh, and then we move on.

So this is foreshadowing a great a) ally B) enemy or is the coolest bit of flavor text ever.

We keep expecting to come into an Inn after it's all over and see a big "Z" carved on the bar.

Ok, paper is done. I wish I felt better about it.

I just keep reminding myself that it's pass/fail, I don't need to get an A or even a B.

It's not helping.

Now I sleep. When I wake up I shall read this piece of crap and cry, I just know it. It's due tomorrow at 5.

In Britain we have a store called HMV which does CDs, DVDs and computer games. At this time of year they do a coupon campaign, which ends at the end of March, where you get money off CDs, DVDs and a lot of spend in the store. Now I use this to get stuff for my brother's birthday in March and my Mother's in April.

So today I now have Dr Mabuse which is German expressionist stuff from the 20s on DVD for the brother. Plus some CDs at a reduced price and some DVDs similarly. And Bleak House on its first day of release.

Total cost around $120. Reduced by voucher to $99.

But also recently I found I had bought a duplicate CD and had a special edition DVD where the second DVD did not work. Having the receipt I was able to get both replaced which I was also very glad of.

Last night i set my machine to reformat and reinstall the OS from scratch.. once it's up and running I just go to sleep and in the AM I get to the task of putting it all back... I took notes, made lists, backed up everything..

Well, it turns out I backed up everything but my downloaded desktop backgrounds (doh!). So I get to go looking for pretty picutres at some point. I did find a couple on the external drive, the others I've not idea where they are.

But... after spending two hours with the latest software updates I find out that I manged to create to root accounts. Or may be it was just two accounts... I have no idea how but it took me another hour to discover I was installing software into one or the other... and making a mess in general.

Back to the top, no need for a remformat but it does take anouth 3 hours to put in a clean system (with only 1 Root User this time) and the updates (again) and back to putting all the software on the machine.

All day. I just spent nine hours putting my operating system back together.

But a clean install on a machine is a nice feeling. Especially since many of the installs were newer versions.

Only thing left is to reinstall all the Widgets for the Dashboard (OSX babble there) and relax by playing some Diablo2 I thinks...

Happy President's Day!

Today, since I am not working, I've been going over Aaron Allston's Random superhero generator from Champions, and puting it into Hero Designer. But I can't leave well enough alone. I love the generator but still tweaked it. I'm just starting secondary powers and have altered just about everything. Checklist Hero Set is going down. I've just decided it's way too broke to leave. I've tried to keep the point totals the same but I will be altering it. No more senses in Multipowers :tsk: And I've added a few power sets, blew up the attribute sets and separated them into initial and secondary 100 pts and 25 pts. Because I likes more categories. I also plan on expanding it in other ways. I liked it because when all was said and done you had a 350 pt character. I'm adding Experience or Power Adders so that you can create 350, 500, 750, and 1000 pts characters. There needs to be more Disadvantate Sets...this is fun. A good thing to do on a day off. *happily hums to himself while transcribing and fiddling* :D

Thanks to Dan Simon for this wonderful toy, this Hero Designer.

As is inevitable... I did forget to backup a file. Not a critical file, but one that will be hard to reconstruct.

the CDDB file that holds information on all the CDs I've loaded into the Machine.

This is significant because I use iCDc to catalogue information on all my CDs, all 1700 of them. A catalogue of information I must now reconstruct, by hand.

well, f**k.

That should take a good couple of months. Or six.

I infer that thehead of this institution must be a real hard-*****, because the toilet paper in the restrooms on campus is cheap, thin, abrasive, and tears way too easily. He must be trying to share the love, or something.

Last week one of my friends in the company had what may have been the ultimate customer complaint. His customer had scheduled an appointment to have the satellite TV service installed, the guy came home from work that day and found that the installer was screwing his wife.

This got "escalated" up to supervisors, since it was generally agreed that it couldn't be solved by Technical Support. In fact, they asked, "Did the technician install the TV system?" "Yeah, works fine."

JG

Well, President's Day Weekend has passed; another DundraCon is over, and I still haven't been able to attend one. I still haven't had the opportunity to meet any of the great people from here on the boards either.

Next year, even if I have to walk from Boise to San Ramon, I will be at DDC. It always sounds like everyone has such a great weekend of gaming. I plan on being a part of that the next time around.