A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

There is a chapter of the SCA in Israel. Most of its members are Orthodox immigrants from Europe (and some from the US), but it has a decent percentage of secular Sabras from what I can tell as well. Its a dissonant concept from a Jewish and secular Israeli cultural perspective. Not bad, just abnormal. And amusing. I am tempted to go to a meeting just to say hello and see how they operate. I was casually involved with the SCA before I was religious. I note they have no events on the sabbath or holidays, which was a real killer, internal orthodox social norms aside, in the US. It might give me something less intense to do once in a while.

Email exchange this morning:

Wife - call your mom, see if she's ok in the blizzard

My brain - huh? checks' weather... sunny skies.

Me - What blizzard?

Wife - the one that hit NE.

Me - There was a bunch of snow yesterday, maybe 9 inches in Providence. I'm not sure she would notice that.

Wife - I just read that a huge blizzard was over New York

My Brain - You gotta be kidding me.

Me - Mom's in Rhode Island

Wife - They're an inch apart on the map, how could it miss?

My Brain - I'm outta here, you deal with this

Me - er... New England isn't THAT small.

This is my last night at work. I'm still gonna be paid while looking for a job, at least for the next 60 days, but this is my last shift here.

In theory.

Seems management has decided that I and a couple of others can go through 25+ boxes of software, licenses and manuals and enter them into a library database. Manually. It's estimated to be a 3-week job.

Three things about this suck:

1) Last minute crap like this is hella annoying and way too frelling common.

2) There are half a dozen people who will be leaving and looking for jobs. Six people in the same boat as me, and only three of us were picked to do this job. Three of us doing this for three weeks or six of us doing this for about a week or so. Hmm...

3) I really wanted out. Really. I mean, words can't accurately convey the sense of relief I had knowing that I was out of this place, away from these people. To have that illusion shattered at the last minute is like a kick in the groin. It's...well, if you don't know the feeling I can't describe it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the work. I'm on their payroll, after all, so they might as well get some use out of me while I'm casting about for future employment.

But had I known about this months ago we could be done by now. This is pure logistical horse-hockey on their part, a denial that the project even existed. That is, until faced with the reality of cleaning up their (i.e. management's) mess. Then it's sluffed onto us, the peons. It's annoying because there's not even a nod of courtesy or respect in the delivery of the task, in the method chosen to handle this chore, or the consideration of the people who must suddenly revise their immediate plans. It's bullshlock.

It's the difference between having time to take classes and build some skills and doing menial work that qualifies for minimum wage anywhere else. It eats up any time I might've had to try and get a better job. It eats up my time, and that just annoys the hell outta me.