A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

http://www.andrewsullivan.com:

"Another former general calls on Rumsfeld to resign - on Fox News, for added piquancy. On the plane back from England, I tuck into Cobra II. I'd put it off, thinking it would be important but tedious homework. In fact, it's a really riveting, readable narrative of the Iraq war, its origins and its unfolding. Gordon and Trainor actually do what Bob Woodward is reputed to do (and doesn't). They give you an inside account of matters of state that is fair and devastating. I haven't finished yet, but already the evidence is simply overwhelming that this (in my view) noble, important and necessary war was ruined almost single-handedly by one arrogant, overweening de facto saboteur. That man is Donald Rumsfeld. It's actually hard to fathom how one single man could have done so much irreparable damage to his country's cause and standing; and how no one was able to stop him. He makes McNamara look inspired. This is not to exonerate Bush and Cheney, who enabled and enable him. And it's not to argue that the military shouldn't always ultimately defer to civilian leadership. But when that leadership has been this incompetent, this bull-headed, this reckless and malevolent and petty, the generals have a patriotic duty to speak out. Until this man is removed, we can have no confidence in the conduct of the war; and no confidence in the president as commander-in-chief. It's really as simple as that."

As I type this, it's about 3 hours short of exactly 20 years since the Chernobyl reactor disaster.

The half-life of cesium-137 is 30.07 years. We still have 63% of the stuff with us. Total release (not just Cs-137) is estimated to have been 50 to 250 million curies.

Almost launched a new NGD thread, "Interesting typo of the day". The idea would be to point out typos or other almost-certainly-unintended language foibles that, serendipitously, make for interesting suggestions for game-world items or other RPG elements. The one that got me started today was "impcat", almost certainly a typo for "impact" in this item. [EDIT: FWIW, I got the "You must spread...." message when I tried repping that post.]

But, there's danger of such a thread being taken as a list of point-and-laugh insults, or a pool for links to politically divisive "Bushisms" or similar nonsense. Ultimately, that made me decide not to launch the thread. We need more flamebait like an Ent needs a chainsaw.

In our rush to ascend through the 100 Rep Power and level and beyond, it is easy to overlook that there are only four folks still with red boxes (that is, overall negative rep). Getting rid of that happened before I came on board.

My Karate Test

By Satin Kitty

For those who are interested:

This test was unlike any other I've ever had. Usually for tests, they set up a table and chairs for the Senseis and you simply demonstrate your stuff once or however many times are required.

This test was combined with a class, so I had to hustle and go for a full hour and fifteen minutes. And I had had a strenuous class the night before. I usually step out and take a breather when I need to, but last night I could not do that.

If you think your character can use Stun for End and then simply strut away, or go on to fight another battle, you are Pulm-Jack Crazy !

I'm in the few days recovery category, not just one or two turns.

I stumbled once. I had prepared Heian 5 for the test and was tested on Heian 4. Also had to do The Beginner Kata and 1-3. Then there were the punches, kicks and combinations. Like I said, there was no real rest for an hour and fifteen minutes. Just one for a few minutes as Sensei explained something and Boy did I need it.

The Result ?

A Kyu and a half to 5 Kyu. Highest marks. I am now Purple Belt and two tests away from Brown Belt.

Whew !

I am SO glad that's over.

I hung my certificate on the fridge, but not for long, as I don't want any spills on it.

And that , Teacher, is my report.