A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

For those interested: The two trapped miners in Beaconsfield, Tasmania tell their story -- The Great Escape. Look out for their story hitting the US news media shortly.

The Nine Network said the men were now preparing to fly to New York to do an interview with a major US television network.

. . . The die is, as they say, cast: I've signed up for the Open Norrland Kendo Championship, the individual contest. Kyu grades only -- the Dan people are limited to the team competition.

I'm pretty cerain that I'll die horribly, but none the less, I'm psyched outta my little skull . . . ^^

I've just recovered from The Fastest Cold in the History of Viruses.

Maybe a slight exaggeration, but I don't even have that nasally, stuffed-nose voice anymore. I had the first symptoms on Wednesday.

And before you ask, yes, it was a cold, not allergies. I can tell the difference.

Looking at a map.....

Interstate-5 (I5): San Diego, CA to Blaine, WA. (approx 1400 miles)

Interstate-70 (I70): Baltimore, MD to I-15, UT. (approx 2100 miles)

Interstate-40 (I40): Raleigh, NC to Barstow (south), CA. (approx 2400 miles)

Interstate-95 (I95): Miami, FL to Houlton, ME. (aproxx 1900 miles)

four highways. approximately 6,800 miles.

highways whose end points I haven't checked yet:

I25 (Peublo, TX to somewhere in Wyoming)

I15 (Somwhere in CA to somewhere in Montana)

I80 (San Fransisco, CA to somewhere east of the Mississippi)

I'm unaware of any other highways that traverse the country like that off the top of my head.... I'll have to look more closely.

I'm very very tempted to turn the customer service rep here into the fashion police. Why? Why not is what I say. She's in her late 30's, she smokes like a freight train and looks much older than late 30s, wears her long stringy, greasy hair the same way every day, wears hip hugger pants, shirts that show her belly, doesn't wear a stitch of make-up and complains about the dark circles under her eyes, and on occasion we at the office are honoured with the presence of her CFM (come **** me) shoes. I could go on. But that might bore you all.

Anywho. If she'd update her wardrobe, get a hair style, wear make-up, and stopped trying to act her shoe size instead of her age, she'd be more pleasant and easier to get along with.

Well, the day just got a bit surreal. Found a letter from the IRS in my mail today. I had the sort of gut-level reaction you'd expect someone to have finding that kind of mail. :straight:

The contents?

Summed up simply: "You did so pathetically bad financially last year you didn't end up owing any taxes, but still had to file because the law demanded it. Despite the fact you didn't pay anything, we think we may owe you a refund. Please fill out the enclosed form..."

:nonp:

When we switched over the servers yesterday, I was working in the database. I stayed late to complete the project I was working on. Then today, they finished up the changeover, gave me new links to working on the server, and I went to the database. To find that everything I'd done yesterday wasn't there. Gone, without a trace.

My boss called up our tech support desk, and they retrieved what I'd been working on and everything's cool now. But meanwhile, that was a panic attack I didn't need. I'm already well behind on all my work, you see . . .

So much for overtime this week. Mom locked her keys in her car. I have the spare set (thank goodness). I had to go save her today and take an early lunch...45 minute lunch. Oh well, at least I'm the one with the spare, work close enough to her, and have a lead foot.

If you haven't already seen or heard, Clay Aiken was on the finale last night of American Idol. Remember how cute he used to look? Ok. So maybe not cute to some of us. But still. Bare with me.

A friend of mine had this to say regarding his new look.

Hellfyre D (8:23:41 PM): Eh ... the missus and I think the look is better for him ... though he looks like a Harry Potter-Snape love-child ;-)

haha. best comment from the finale of American Idol regarding Clay Aiken's new look.

Hellfyre D (8:23:41 PM): Eh ... the missus and I think the look is better for him ... though he looks like a Harry Potter-Snape love-child ;-)

Well ... he does! :D

Still behind on really being done for the con, yuck. Close, just detail stuff, but like really important detail stuff. Well, it's not that bad. Just a little stressful. What's been hard has been all the rework on Cyber Ninja, plus I probalby shouldn't have taken the time now to write up and playtest the Reservoir Witch game, thoiugh that went really well.

On a related note, we tried out octaNe, great game, I think we kind of didn't appreciate it enough due to one rules misreading on my part plus we weren't really so on that we realized just how flexible the system is, plus on top of that this was a pick-up game wher I only had a simple plot idea, next time I would really have some cool setting stuff ready.

It's cool as a "storytelling game," of course with roleplaying's fundamentals, but pretty strong on the story, movie-like emphasis.

Damn these desk gnomes!!

I had a meeting for a NEW BIG PROJECT!

My notes are all missing now!!

Why couldn't I have the sort of gnomes that show up while I'm gone and clean my desk or do my work? Is that so much to ask?