A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Apple Computers... While I'm a big apple fan there have been a few occasions since Jobs took over again where I've just wanted to slug him in the face with a 2x4.

Take the new MacBook (replaces the iBook line - thank you for getting rid of that STUPID letter). So far. So good.

It comes in two types, as is normal. The stripped down version and the beefed up version. Ok.

But Wait!! It also comes in black! neat you say (well, I did)!

no no .. hold on... it comes in white. white. and black. huh? you're thinking?

Yeah, the low end White MacBook (ok, with ya). The high end White MacBook (this is normal). And Black. and the punchline is...

The Black MacBook comes with a 80GB HD vs the White MacBook's 60GB HD. And costs $200 more starting price.

Thus is the difference between White And Black MacBooks.

Steve... I'm getting my 2x4 ready because that's STUPID.

Is there a particular REASON that the color of the case couldn't just, you know, be the only difference? What if I want a low end Black MacBook? Can't get one... no siree. All versions are the SAME SIZE. It's not that they even produce different cases for any of them. Just different colors. Well, the different color is a different version of the same machine.

Steve Jobs. 2x4. Abrupt Meeting.

I dreamt the other night that I was running a game, when a player stood up in the middle and snottily remarked, "You know, Alice, I really don't like it when my character isn't the center of attention. It's not very fun when you're focusing on other players."

I tried to explain to her that the game was supposed to be fun for EVERYONE, and she snorted and said she didn't care; my game wasn't very fun.

So I grabbed her and shook her until I woke up.

:nonp:

Had to take a half-day off work (at my own expense) to finish my stupid Assignment. At least it's done. Now I can get on with an Assignment for a real subject, which I now have only 2 weeks to do because I wasted all last week and all last weekend doing this pointless subject.

"Since all efforts at commemoration are bound to fall short, one must be on guard against any attempt at overstatement. In particular, one must resist efforts to ventriloquize the dead. To me, Cindy Sheehan's posthumous conscription of her son is as objectionable as Billy Graham's claim, at the National Cathedral, that all the dead of Sept. 11, 2001 were now in paradise. In the first instance, we have no reason to believe that young Casey Sheehan would ever have supported MoveOn.org, and in the second instance we cannot be expected to believe that almost 3,000 New Yorkers all died in a state of grace. Nothing is more tasteless, when set against the reality of death, than the hollow note of demagogy and false sentiment. These things are also subject to unintended consequences. When Dalton Trumbo wrote his leftist antiwar classic "Johnnie Got His Gun," he little expected that it would be used as a propaganda tool by pro-fascist isolationists in the late 1930s, and that he would be protesting in vain that this was not what he had really meant."

-Christopher Hitchens, 5/29/06

Attention Satin Kitty !

Your e-mail got though and was passed onto me. You must remember this. I am a Scorpio. We are the jealous and vindictive type. And we will have our revenge in this world and the next.

In reply I would say

No ! No ! No !

I'm not satisfied !

Can't there be,

More to Life ?

No ! No ! No !

I'm not satisfied !

Can't there be,

Reasons why ?

Now heres a thing.

You see various comments from other posters used as sigs in other people's posts. However I have not seen one that references something that I have said and am thus perplexed.

In three full years have I never posted anything intelligent or humourous ?

I wracked my brains and suddenly realisation dawned on me. I knew why no-one had referenced a post or quote of mine.

Everyone else lacks good taste.

Simple as that.

Over the Hedge.

Have ya seen it? Go see it. If for nothing else but the humor. There's a lot of humor in there that will go over a young child's head (provided they live a semi-sheltered life and have parents who wash their mouth out with soap for saying dirty words).

A couple of the best line's from the movie (without spoiling it for you guys that want to see it and have yet to see it):

"Hey RJ, wanna help me find my nuts?"

AND

"Look everybody. I filled up the log.

"What? How?"

"I found my nuts."

Gotta love Steve Carrell.

Oh...and a sidenot to Death Tribble, I voted for you and Zorn. So no hunting me down. Are you two planning on running again? If so, lemme know and I'll vote for you as many times as I can. :P

The moon lab assignment is due tomorrow. This assignment is just hell on procrastinators, and the circumstances of lunar phases this term compounds that effect drastically. We'll see how many people did it. Handed out in the first week of the term (back about March 30), and due in the last week of the term. Takes about two hours of clear weather when one can see the Moon, and a watch readable to at least seconds. An observing partner helps but is not essential; ditto a stopwatch.

Only two full moons went by during this term, and we are coming off the five-days-or-so around new moon when the moon is invisible. Prior to that the weather sucked for about a week.

Last year I caught a kid dry-labbing this assignment. My over-under line for this term is two, out of a class of about 55 students.

The moon lab assignment is due tomorrow. This assignment is just hell on procrastinators, and the circumstances of lunar phases this term compounds that effect drastically. We'll see how many people did it. Handed out in the first week of the term (back about March 30), and due in the last week of the term. Takes about two hours of clear weather when one can see the Moon, and a watch readable to at least seconds. An observing partner helps but is not essential; ditto a stopwatch.

Only two full moons went by during this term, and we are coming off the five-days-or-so around new moon when the moon is invisible. Prior to that the weather sucked for about a week.

Last year I caught a kid dry-labbing this assignment. My over-under line for this term is two, out of a class of about 55 students.

I had an assignment similar that a few years ago in my astronomy class. We were to sketch/draw the full moon using a telescope or binochulars. We were to include what surface formations we could see, labeled of course; and had to mark if we used a telescope or binochulars. Oddly, I used neither and was able to make out most surface formations, though I wasn't able to label them. However, I marked that I had used binochulars. When I recieved the graded paper back, the professor had but one question "Are you sure you used binochulars for this assignment?" Ummm...I used neither cause I'm a lazy student. :P But I never admitted that her.

I like to be nice and friendly with the new people I'm register training. I give them the impression that this is the kindest, most laid-back, fun place to work in the whole wide world.

I figure that makes it more fun for their boss when he crushes their souls.

To my new cats:

1) I am allowed to post to the Internet. I am the Human. You are allowed to use the litter box. You are the cat. If you refrain from posting, I will refrain from using your litter box. That seems fair.

2) You will never catch the mouse cursor. Please stop trying.

3) I can see you even when you hide behind the printer. Do not bat at the mouse.

4) Also, please do not use the printer.

5) Argh.