A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

"I recall (Michael) Oakeshott's response to a question about the power of the U.S. president. 'The president has no power," Oakeshott explained. "A blackmailer has power. The president has authority." Under this president, I fear, we are beginning to appreciate that distinction more profoundly."

-Andrew Sullivan

"Perusing reports of this month's World Naked Bike Ride in San Francisco, I was impressed by the way the acres of sagging mottled flesh stayed ruthlessly on message: "RE-ELECT GORE" was the slogan on one man's bottom, as fetchingly dimpled as a Palm Beach chad, while beneath the "GORE" of his butt his upper thighs proudly proclaimed "NO WAR" (left leg) "FOR OIL" (right). "I'D RATHER HAVE THIS BUSH FOR PRESIDENT" read one lady's naked torso with an arrow pointing down to the presidential material in question. What a bleak comment on the bitter divisions in our society that even so all-American a tradition as nude bicycling down Main Street should now be so nakedly partisan. It's as if the republic itself is now divided into a red buttock and a blue buttock permanently cleaved by the bicycle seat of war."

-Mark Steyn, Chicago Sun-Times, June 18, 2006

from Pete Townshend's diary "blog"

14 June 2006 - Another Day of rehearsal

It gets better and better. Looking forward to blowing the cobwebs away at Leeds Uni this Saturday. Among other things we will be playing Wire & Glass which is dedicated to Dr Vint Cerf (who in 1970 helped create TCP/IP, the protocol code that eventually unleashed the real power of data transfer by computer and wire).

"If you have the ivory tower view that the internet is good only if everything on it is good you are mistaken."

"The internet is a reflection of our society and that mirror is going to be reflecting what we see," he said. "If we do not like what we see in that mirror the problem is not to fix the mirror, we have to fix society."

Dr Vint Cerf. BBC January 2004

That's right, The Who played Leeds University again (about a week ago), and dedicated a song at that concert to the guy who co-created TCP/IP. Lifehouse has come full circle. :)

. . . Aargh, my 'ead! And my fuut! And my back! Mon Dieu, it works!

Made 3rd Kyu, despite a busted left foot! Yay me! Now I'm on vacation, terrorizing the folks back north for a fortnight. Web access will be sparse, but whaddoi care?

Have a nice season, everyone!

"You gotta hand it to these guys: "Redeployment" is ingenious. I'll bet the focus-group consultants were delirious: "surrender," "lose,","scram," "scuttle ignominiously," "head for the hills" all polled poorly, but "redeploy" surveyed well with all parts of the base, except the base in Okinawa, where they preferred "sayonara" -- that's "redeploy" in any language. The Defeaticrats have a clear message for the American people. Read da ploy: No new quagmires.

"This is the most artful example of Leftspeak since they came up with "undocumented immigrant." In fact, if it catches on, I'll bet millions of fine upstanding members of the Undocumented-American community now start referring to themselves as Redeployed Mexicans."

-Mark Steyn, Chicago Sun-Times, June 25, 2006