but a block of wood

And you know I don't want what you want

I want what I want

I want what I want

I want what I want

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

We seem to be heading into a strong El Nino.

From NOAA's Climate Prediction Center:

Typical El Niño effects are likely over North America during January-March 2007, including warmer-than-average temperatures over western and central Canada, and over the northwestern and northern United States, wetter-than-average conditions over portions of the U.S. Gulf Coast and Florida, and drier-than-average conditions in the Ohio Valley and in portions of the Pacific Northwest. Global effects that can be expected during December-March include drier-than-average conditions over most of Malaysia, Indonesia, northern and eastern Australia, some of the U.S.-affiliated islands in the tropical North Pacific, northern South America and southeastern Africa, and wetter-than-average conditions over equatorial East Africa, central South America (Uruguay, northeastern Argentina, southeastern Paraguay and southern Brazil) and along the coasts of Ecuador and northern Peru.

One seasonal ENSO index stands at its highest point since 1998, when we were coming out of a rather intense El Nino.

My Conversation with my cat this morning.

"Meow" (Your home.)

"Hi Shadow, be over there in a minute."

"MEow." (Now.)

"Let me get the paper."

"MEOW!" (I'm hungry, hurry up.)

"Okay, I'm coming."

"MEEEEEOOOOOW!" (It's wet out here!)

"I know it wet. And I know you don't like it when it rains."

"MEEEOOOOOWWwwWW!" (FIX IT!)

"I can't do anything about the rain,you just have to tough it out."

"MEeeOOooWWww" (I don't want to.)

It's interesting just how much a cat can say with one word.

Is it just me or is John Maier's "Waiting for the World to Change" the wuss anthem of a generation?

I mean if you see social injustice, do somehting about it. Write a song like Ohio or something. But 3 minutes of whining how awful it is and you and your buds will wait it out is about as hard core as getting a "piercing" on your jacket and a temporary tattoo.

With the lineup of holidays on Mondays, a scientific conference the second week of January, and a couple of out-of-town meetings the second half of January, and another odd trip the beginning of February, it looked for a while there like we wouldn't have any meetings between next week and the second week of February. :celebrate:

Then someone suggested we meet on a different day of the week. :(

Rats.

It's been nearly two weeks since our last snowstorm, and the snow in my backyard still hasn't melted - fairly unusual for Denver. I wouldn't mind so much, but last week something (cat? owl?) killed and dismembered a pigeon in our backyard. I cleaned up all the feathers & other leftovers, but much of the snow in the yard is still kinda... brownish. :ugly: