A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Strange conversation snippets overheard on the bus, part 2370: Two mothers of college-age men relating conversations with their sons while the latter were seriously hung over. An extreme lack of sympathy was the central theme in the conversation.

Many people myself included have wondered if humanity will inhabit other planets. The typical example being the Moon, and soon Mars.

I doubt very much that this will occur, mainly because 1) as stewards of planet Terra, we as a species have overall would get a failing grade (see below); 2) the 'secret government' was told to they were not welcome on the Moon. Wonder why...

One small step for man, one giant leap for the secret government. But they don't teach you that do they. For an example watch 2001: A Space Oddessy. Kubrick hits the nail on the head.

And a large part of us getting a failing rating when it comes to being stewards of planet Terra should be directed at our manipluative government and its consumerist needy culture of external self fulfillment. This consumerism-profit philosophy that is so indelibly entrenched in Western society is outdated and broken and needs to be replaced with a better one.

Sometimes this world gets me down, so much I feel the weight of its pressure upon my shoulders. :(

I swear to god i thought today was friday. Friday is my day off. All last night I thought it was thursday, so I didn't set my alarm and I made plans for today.

Imagine my shock when I get the call from work. "Are you coming in today?"

"Umm, it's Friday."

"No, dear. It's Thursday. All day."

Sunnuva...!

"Ok, I'll be in soon."

Dammit.

I found a couple of nice port variants in the wine shop lately. One is a white port, that tastes great chilled and mixed with club soda; it's great on its own too. Another is a chocolate port, that's great as a dessert all on its own. But I found it made a good pair with spaghetti and even with a spoonful of peanut butter.

They make pull-ups with all kinds of cartoon characters on them. They make ones that are designed to get cold when wet, or that make their wearers feel wet. And there are regular training pants and underwear that, of course, make a huge mess and feel really gross if you pee or poop in them.

My kid ignores all of this. What he needs are pull-ups that administer a mild electric shock if he pees in there.

I think I've gotten hooked on NASA TV. It's fun watching the astronauts work on the ISS, and fun to watch them goof off when they get some down time. and when they cut to Mission Control, I always think, "Meanwhile, back at the ranch..."

The Frustrating Thing

The really frustrating thing about people is that it is possible to grab someone by the hair, repeatedly beat their face right up against the side of the elephant in the living room, and when you let go, they can stand there and look at you and deny that the elephant exists.....

And appear to actually believe it!:eek:

Lucius Alexander

Yes, I talk to a palindromedary. No, I don't think that makes me any stranger than the average human being.

"You fought all the way, Johnny Reb" - Johnny Horton

"A union that could be and should be perfected over time...

To protest, to struggle, in the streets and in the courts,

through a civil war, and civil disobedience" - Barack Obama

"I heard your teeth chatter in the cold outside

I saw the bullets open up the wound in your side

I saw the young boys as they began to fall

I saw the tears in your eyes as you couldn't help at all" - Johnny Horton

"We cannot solve the challenges of our times unless we solve them together...

By understanding we may have different stories but we hold common hopes...

This nation is more than the sum of its parts...

That out of many, we are truly one" -

"Race is an issue this nation can afford to ignore right now...

The complexities of race in this country that we've never really worked through...

a part of our union we have not yet made perfect" - Barack Obama

"When Honest Abe heard the news about your fall

Folks thought he'd call a big victory ball

But he told the band 'you better play Dixie'

For you Johnny Reb, what you did for family" - Johnny Horton (except I changed the last line)

"If we walk away now

If we simply retreat into our respective corners

We will never be able to come together and solve challenges...

As William Falkner once wrote, 'the past isn't dead and buried; in fact, it isn't even past'" - Barack Obama

(the above are in a song together * is finishing up)