A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

This week has been full of endings. The Space Shuttle has flown its last mission, and Borders is closing its doors.

On a more personal note, one of the managers is leaving the company; today was her last day. It was great working with her. I'll miss her.

So yesterday I was looking for some pictures of the Disney Princesses as Fighting Game Characters someone had posted here. I knew they were on DA (Deviant Art) and so I simply did a search for Jasmine.

It was rather eye opening. And kind of appalling.

Interspersed among pictures of the Disney Character (as from the movie, in a Cinderella style gown, as a mermaid, as a Breast Expansion fetish, as a BBW, pregnant, as a sentai ranger, Cosplay, as a fighter...etc) there were pics of a few models who happened to be named Jasmine. One was quite the fetish queen...lots of artistic nudes and such....

And I clicked on one and read "The Model (I can't recall her last name) was found murdered, her naked body in a suitcase in a dumpster behind a hotel."

The guy who did it later hung himself.

It came out of left field and I was just kind of agog for a while. Not sure why I needed post this but I did.

Danger Sense. 15 pts.

Options. Usable out of combat: +5 pts.

So. An option. Not default.

By default Danger Sense works only when you're already in combat

I STILL look at this and go "What the....?"

I'm still not used to it.

Combat is dangerous sort of by definition. Danger Sense that tells you that you're in danger only when you're already in combat is like a Detect Water that only kicks in when you're over your head and drowning, or a sword that Detects Dragons only when you've already stuck it in one.

[sarcasm on] Gee, thanks, Danger Sense! Bombs and bullets flying, people trying to kill me, and what do you know, I'm in danger! I'd have never guessed.[/sarcasm off]

You know, it's not that I don't think it's worth 20 pts to have a Danger Sense that functions the way I've always concieved of such a thing as working. It's that I don't think it's worth 15 pts to have a version that doesn't. Besides, if there's going to be a distinction between alerting a character to danger they might not otherwise suspect, and one that basically says "You know, besides these two huge guys with axes swinging at me I have a nagging feeling something ELSE around here could hurt me too, like someone sneaking up behind me or maybe they have a friend with a crossbow around" I still think out of combat should be the default and in combat the Adder. It should be easier, not harder, to detect the backstabber or the sniper if one is NOT distracted by a couple of other life threatening situations.

I have had at least one character that bought the whole package, then put a Limitation on it to not work in combat. I don't know that I've ever bought it so it does not work out of combat - when it's actually, you know, useful.

Lucius Alexander

Danger Sense only in combat is like Detect Palindromedary only if Lucius Alexander is around

Sometimes, when you're a lone voice crying out against the injustices of the world, you are a visionary. People ignore or deride you because you are a man before his time, who someday will be recognized for his genius.

Most of the time, though, people ignore or deride you because you're a nutcase.

Rock the Vote!

Please come by and cast your votes in the End of the World Superdraft finale. There are a lot of great ideas being formed there. Even you weren't directly involved, everyone is invited to cast votes.

As always, the draft itself is open to everyone to participate, and another will start in August.

Thanks!

I went on Gutenberg.org and check out the top 100 downloads. In the last 7 days, "A Very Naughty Girl" has been downloaded 672 times. What proportion do you think of those downloaders were actually looking for a moralistic children's story? No, I didn't download it.

I went to the Seattle Mariners - Tampa Bay Rays game today, on tickets that I'd been given back on my birthday.

$8.25 for a bottle of beer? For a bottle of Bud Light? Yeesh, I've died and gone to Hell.

I got profiled again today.

Heading through downtown, I watched as the cop I passed did a u-turn and came back around to chaeck me out. What a surprise. When I decided I wasn't gonna fit in the easily available parking space, I pulled out and circled the block to get parking alongside the side street to the corner store (getting road supplies before to driving up to Grandma's, y'know). He followed me, nice and slow, staying back at intersections watching me.

He drove off when I parked.

So, I fumed for a couple of hours while I drove, dreaming of how I'd respond if I was a supervillain.

I have been known to consider myself a bad man.

Then I met Lynn, my g/f's maternal grandmother. Her old hippie dyke grandmother. Who, over the course of the next two hours announced that she thought I was the second coming of someone.... Christ, Buddha, Mohammed, Gandhi...

It was kinda a weird feeling.

The last time someone put me in such lofty company they also included Hitler and Satan.

Yeah, I was socially Godwin'ed