A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Guest Worldmaker

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I watched Lord of the Rings: Return of the King on DVD tonight. And after it was over, not only was I struck with how absolutely fantastic those movies were, I had this great melancholy feeling because there's not going to be another one this year...

The European Football championships have begun. Which is not a good time for Doug who is Scots and Scotland aren't there. England are and are playing the tournament favourites and current champions France. Personally I think England will get stuffed. The French players mainly play league in Britain and are really good. England are not which is a great joy to the Welsh and Scots.

So if you see a lot of bleating from England players/supporters tomorrow you will know why.

First results are Greece beat Portugal 2-1 which was unexpected and Spain beat Russia 1-0 which was. Apparantly the first match was good and the second match was dull.

Guest Worldmaker

How could my body possibly decide that 7 am was the time to be awake after previously deciding that 4 was the time to finally be sleepy enough to go to bed?

I prefer literary Bond.

I had to suffer through movie Bond last night, which I used to enjoy. I wonder if I've ceased to be a part of its target demographic. The plots are weak to non-existent, the hero isn't human, and aside from snappy repartee, special effects, and beautiful people there isn't much there. Its a case of style over substance. I want crunchy bits. I want character. I want...

I guess what I want is literary Bond.

I joined a widows/widowers dating service the other day.

Actually, I was pressured into doing so by the folks at the widows/widowers forums boards I visit on occasion. "I know you're not ready to date or anything, but they could really use a few more guys joining and putting up profiles." They said. So, figuring I'd do my part I signed up. Not really planning on dating or anything I didn't fill out a profile. Instead I "copied" to my profile a list of questions from the dating site itself. These questions were intended as a guideline to help in the completing of my profile, should I ever decide to complete it. Also, I placed the drawing of Lightspeed I did as my profile picture. The title of my profile even says, "Under Construction."

Well, I got a couple of responses already in my email. One actually took the questions that I had posted to guide me in the (eventual?) completion of my profile, and answered them herself.

I don't know where to go with this from here. If I don't respond at all, will she think I'm rude or perhaps she'll think I think she's fat and not worth dating?

Do you think she thinks I actually look like the Lightspeed drawing I drew?

Here's Lightspeed for those that have never seen him.

Guest Worldmaker

This is a deliberate post. It is not random in any way, shape, or form. I thought it over for an hour before posting it here. Nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah!

And just to put some icing on it: POLITICS POLITICS POLITICS! Bush is a fink! The country is going to hell in a handbasket! Libruls rool! And all of you have bad breath and your feet stink! So there!

I was oddly reminded today of an old "weirdness" that used to plague my brothers and I as children; when my father scooped ice cream, he'd dip the scoop in a glass of water between each "scoopage" in order to make sure the ice cream didn't stick to the metal. In doing so, the water quickly turned briney and opaque.

After almost a quarter century of life, I still find the idea of drinking that water - in essence, it's just water and ice cream - repulsive. So do my brothers. And yet, I'm not disgusted by store-bought stir fry packets, even though I know how most of them are compiled. Odd.

Wooot! Wooot! Wooot!

I love Half Price Books. Its one (originally) Seattle institution, unlike ELF, that I will truly miss. I decided to see if I could find a fix for my Ian Fleming craving, and what should I find - all 12 of Flemings Bond books for half off the original signet books cover price. I paid $4.97 for all of them. Vintage baby.

Wooot!

I read the second "ultimates" graphic novel. I don't know whether I just do not care for the way some of the characters are done, or whether I want to start beating on artists and writers.

Pym is an absolute rat bastard. Banner is not much, if any better.

Hawkeye, while still cool, is a former shield black ops type. Black widow seems to be a cybernetic upgrade.

Nick fury is... Able to send in 20K troops with fighters, bombers, etc! and they aren't even going to be missed except by their families, they were all black ops...

Captain America is still pretty much who he has been.

Scarlet witch and Quicksilver seem to be "into each other" and may be totally goldbricking useless types.

Then there was the Toranado IDV that Cap flew in from an American base, and the AIr force still using F-4s, then the"air force" arrived, but they were flying Navy F-18s...

I know, I'm being really picky. Not sure why.

Black widow, Hawkeye, and Cap still seem to be pretty cool characters, Nick FUry is still OK. Casting samuel L Jackson as him did surprise me at first, though.

Yay. A good weekend after a too-busy and frustrating week. Car fixed, no more viruses on my computer. Got to spend the weekend with friends. Only problem was it ruined my diet. From noon to midnight it was full of beer(not getting drunk, just have a few beers with lunch, a few more with dinner, one at the movies, and a few more after the movie) and too much food. Even ended up with a little time on Sunday to play City of Heroes.

Got to see WWE Smackdown live. It was quite an event, lots of action, some good matches. I am sure all of the wrestlers really appreciate the fans, but due to the script, obviously heels have to act like heels. But it was good to see the faces act like real faces. Mysterio* walked around and shook or high fived everyone's hand that was over the rail. Eddie thanked everyone for coming at the end. A very cool experience.

*And wow, never realized how short Rey Mysterio is. He's a big guy, but not that tall.

The down payment check's been cashed. The movers are signed and ready. My apartment is a sea of boxes, an obstacle course, a deadly environment when trying to get in a sleepy bathroom run at 3:00 AM. We're down to using paper wares for eating - all the dishes and cups are packed. I've got my brand new Bush/Cheney '04 lawn sign in the car.

Eleven days and counting...

I'm planning to go on vacation for the July 4th weekend with good friends, to the ocean beach of all places.

Those of you doing a bit of basic geography and know I'm in Tennessee already realize that this means I'll be going out of state.

I'm used to travel, or I was. Hell, part of being an Air Force brat was having my life uprooted every 3.5 years until I was 18.

However, going out into the 'world' is jangling my neurosis a tad. My hermit nature has me dreading what should be a wonderful adventure. I can't shake the feeling something might go wrong. I also can't help but admit that If i DON'T go, I'll regret the missed oppurtunity.

I think I need longer weekends. There's just always too much to do.

I took Mage to the vet on Friday to get him weighed. He's still losing weight, just not as fast. He's only down two tenths of a pound since April.

I wish we could get him to use his back legs more. If we hold him up, he'll still walk, but he seems to prefer dragging his back legs around behind him. The vet says it's just bad knees, but it seems like it's more than that. Not like he'll let not using his back legs stop him. He still tries to run after me using just his front legs.

Spent all of Saturday upgrading software on my laptops. Finally got Panther running on my Wallstreet, but it won't accept Java 1.4.2.

Sunday we went out with friends to see The Chronicles of Riddick. Seems like a dark space opera to me.

Tossed and turned all night long. Hardly got any sleep. Somehow I still got up this morning.

So much left to do... and I'm stuck at work where I can't get any of it done.

Doc

Even though I've cut back on the pain meds, I'm still finding myself with a short attention span. Of course I'm down to two doses/per day at most (about 1/2 what I am supposedly allowed) with occasional just once before bedtime.

It's wierd, my brain and thought processes seem to be undergoing a change from the deep depression that started in 2000, the sinus problems that started plaguing me, the anti-depressants, and the withdrawel from that. I'm getting wierd flashbacks and just remembering past experiences that are sometimes nice and sometimes just "Hmm, that could of been done better".

If there's one thing worse than being bored at work, its being bored because the work you have been given is dull. When I was bored at work before, I could web-surf and read the boards and stuff. But right now, I am testing a not-yet-released Verizon product called iobi (that's not a typo - the name [which doesn't actually mean anything]is deliberately spelled without a capital letter). As near as I can tell, the produc works, and it has already been tested. Thing is, they want to make sure, so they want a tester (that would be me) to test in every Windows platform Verizon still supports: Win98, Win98 Second Edition, Windows NT 4.0, (we are giving Windows ME a miss - thank God!) Win2K, Win2K SP1, W2KSP2, W2KSP3, W2KSP4, XP Home, XP Home SP1, XP Pro, XP Pro SP1.

Running the same damn tests on the same product over and over and over again gets real old, real fast. All I have found so far are not problems, per se, but usability issues. Things like the lack of double-clicking on an item, how the interface is way different between the PC client and web interface, etc.

And get this... my manager has told me to "take my time" on the testing. Why? Well, because there is no solid "due by" date for this. Plus they may very well release a new iteration of the product to get tested... which means I get to run the brain-sappingly dull tests all over again.

And all of this is in addition to the other events in my life leading to my present condition of the blahs.

Blech.