A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

20 Thoughts for the Day

20. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

19. Gardening Rule: When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

18. The easiest way to find something lost around the house is to buy a replacement.

17. There are two kinds of pedestrians -- the quick and the dead.

16. Life is sexually transmitted.

15. An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

14. If quitters never win, and winners never quit, then who is the fool who said "Quit while you're ahead?"

13. Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die. The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

12. Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

11. Some people are like Slinkies . . .. not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

10. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

9. Have you noticed since everyone has a camcorder these days no one talks about seeing UFOs like they use to?

8. Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

7. All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

6. Why does a slight tax increase cost you two hundred dollars and a substantial tax cut saves you thirty cents?

5. In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

4. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

3. How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a barbecue?

2. Get the last word in: Apologize.

AND THE # 1 THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

You read about all these terrorists -- most of them came here legally, but they hung around on these expired visas, some for as long as 10 -15 years. Now, compare that to Blockbuster; you are two days late with a video and those people are all over you. Let's put Blockbuster in charge of immigration.

Guest Worldmaker

You know, for all that I warn people about scotch bonnet peppers, you'd think I wouldn't have been so surprised when I bite into some scotch bonnet salsa and am surprised by how spicy it truly is.

In other news, Jenn has an interview as a server at Tao of Tea, downtown Portland at the Chinese garden. While being a server isn't her ideal job, it would be interesting there.

and I said "isn't her cup of tea" without thinking of it, then reread and went :eek:

From a CSM Article about orange growers:

Each American now drinks an average of 4.7 gallons of orange juice per year, down from 5.8 gallons in 1997.

This made me pause for a second. Every week I pick up two half-gallon boxes of OJ (or grapefruit juice). I live alone. Consider I drink less OJ when I travel, that probably puts me close to 48-50 gallons of juice per year. That is a lot of OJ. I wonder if I could just get a 55 gallon drum at the beginning of the year. Of course I have no soda in my home, so it limits my choices to milk, juice, water or occasionaly ice tea (and a small selection of adult beverages).

Okay, DC calls itself the "House of ideas" but two of their storylines for this month

(Flash and Identity Crisis (dealing with Justice League)) deal with villains causing the deaths of heroes unborn children.

how not original is that?

Dear marketing prople. Just because my last name is of Spanish origin, doesn't mean that I am fluent in it. Also, my Norwejian/Irish wife doesn't speak a drop of spanish. Please stop sending her offers to join the Latina Musica Club. Thank you.

Why is it that the Best Compilation thread routinely gets kicked to the low levels of page 2 and 3 ?

I understand it being pushed down by things like the Q+A, A+Q, Wag 2 and Longest Thread threads but by some of the others ?

Sheesh !

Don't the political posters like music ?

The room is a cool, comfy 70 degrees. I have a fan blowing directly on me. I only have one light blanket. Yet I've been tossing and turning every night this week and sweating much in the way that pigs don't.

Somehow I still manage to get up and go to work in the morning.

Why can't I sleep?

Doc

So our shipping guy is out on paternity, and the girl who's filling his shoes diligently opens every incoming box to check it for inventory. Of course, that prevents us from returning this $3500 two-way Opteron box that I am partially responsible for misordering.

Anyone want an Opteron server?