World Creation SuperDraft

Fair enough.My thought was to be a patron to a subtype of Magic, e.g. metallic dragons, not all dragons.

As a newcomer to this, I don't want to hinder others enjoyment of it. So I want to apologies to Hermit for the overreach.

I'll pick something else, before Sociotard closes this.

Edit: Third secondary domain: Infinity Mastery. (Infinity could be construed as part of Mathematics)

Also, noticed Old Man's secondary domain is Judgement. Hey Old Man, we should talk as there is potential overlap with our secondary domains.

No worries, I figure we're all involved with at least some judgements. That's why I set it up as a sort of council thing in the writeup.

And Arcania  did return to her father, the God of Magic aka Faserip Augustus Vance, and did say, "Father, the people of the world wonder why you have not given a gift to civilization."

The God of Magic had been working on the important question of how many angels fit on the head of a pin. This was crucial….for some reason. And he glowered, "They what?"

"Other Gods have given them gifts like Agriculture, Mithril, or the arts… so they were wondering, maybe you could squeeze something out? Something to soften their lives and comfort them?"

'SQUEEZE.SOMETHING.OUT?" Faserip huffed, "They have the wonders of dreams and nightmares, the uncertainly of luck to keep them from getting bored, and abrupt changes! All thanks to me, nevermind MAGIC  force that none but I will ever fully understand!"

"Apparently uncertainty is making them skittish," She coughed, "And you do offer a lot of that."

"There are a half dozen other gods practically tucking them in at night and asking them if they want a drink of water. If it weren't for gods like me offering them a challenge, those slugabeds would be… damn it, I remember when some of those races thought bathing caused illness!

Filthy bastards had to change from that or the odor alone would have had the lot of us smiting," Faserip grumbled.

"Well, thank whichever of you got them to bathe more often," She wrinkled her nose, "But you have wizards, witches, magi, sorcerers and any number of other variants of magician out there. Some of them run amok….usually put down by some hero or army eventually, and a few help. Folks don't know what to think."

"Well, you walk up to a fellow you know to be capable of magic, get to know them, say hi like any other person, of course," Faserip snorted, "If your wife ends up wearing a love slave outfit for his amusement while you hop around in your new frog suit, he was probably one of the bad ones. Duh!"

His daughter suggested, "I was thinking, that maybe… you could induce some codes of conduct beyond the 'respect magic' and 'don't abuse' magic angle you have me running around for?"

"Sounds boring,  and like you're trying to get out of work," He said.

"It might make the people love you, and idealize you more," She suggested, "And it wouldn't just save me some work, but have them tend to their own more. Less hassle, still get the credit."

"How shallow a god do you think your father is?" The God of Magic blinked.

"Do you have mind reading or truth magics up now?" She asked.

"No…"

"Then I don't think you're shallow vain or spiteful at all, father" She dimpled, "And I just want the people to remember you fondly."

"Hmmm… fine," he said pulling out six indestructible scrolls and wrote on them with the Ink indelible.

"Take each of these scrolls to a different part of the world where there is a guild, school, or magoracracy, and tell each one that THIS is the code magic users should live by. And I will reward them for doing so."

Arcania opened the first one up, "Oh, I like this, it's like a code of chivalry for them; we could have knightly orders only with magic instead of swords and such."

"I don't have to use divination to see that coming, yes."

She opened another, smiled and then blinked and read again, "Father, there's… a problem."

"What problem?"

"This one says….. 'Magic shall be used to light the way for the people'…. This one says in the same spot 'Magic shall be used to lead the way for the people'… and this third scroll says 'lend'… and the others say more of the same but are different in OTHER parts of the codes…. 'Improve the world' here, because 'transform the world' there, and over here, it says 'raise your wands to honor me and receive my blessing on the 13th day of every month when the moon is nigh' but here, in this 6th scroll it says 'when the moon is high', and here it says 'raise your staff' not wand, and here's one that says rod. Some don't even mention honoring you but honoring Magic or themselves…Father, even if you translate these all to tradespeak one might get different variations." She blinked.

"Minor changes," He shrugged.

"When one group meets the other, each is going to think the other is doing it wrong!"

"Probably, they were going to anyway, I'm just setting a great experiment in motion."

"They'll argue all the time, or maybe even kill each other!"

"Or they'll make peace, or merge, or split off…or diversify… or decide the laws are bunk. It'll it will make them think, eventually. They'll have to question for themselves what philosophy they want to live by. In the mean time, some good will come of it too. There are rules in those scrolls about wizards dueling away from innocents, suggestions for helping their fellow magically talented who are hunted by the superstitious, and so on. It's up to them what they make of this, it can either make them true paragons of magical virtue, sheep in wizards clothing, or self righteous brutes. And we shall , over time, see which philosophy was meant to flourish."

"Well, no one can say you're boring I suppose," Her daughter blinked at the scrolls, "And the mundanes?"

"Let the word be set through the lands by dreams and heralds, I, Faserip Augustus Vance, have provided structure to the magic users of the world! They'll rejoice of course, poor saps."

"They'll rejoice?"

"Each group of mundanes is going to think their wizards got the 'one true way' as well. That'll set them at ease. People want certainty, they want security, and far too many times they'll lay their own children on the proverbial altar to get it. This will be learning experience for them too. I give them opportunity, but I also place obstacles before them to reach the rewards. I give them magic, but it cuts as well as serves. Even gods might die, daughter, for all we know of this world. When it does, Magic itself will continue without me. I want them ready to wield it without me having learned lessons so they don't, won't need me any more. I crave their worship true, but I need them to be prepared and stand strong on their own, either individually or collectively. Somewhere between my need for their love and my need for them to grow, I think you'll find where my actions lay. As for you, Arcania, perhaps they will grow to love you more than I, and that is well. Perhaps you will pick up more burdens when you are truly your own…and I hope you think on your old father well despite the frustration he causes you. Would you like me to deliver the scrolls?"

"I…" She looked at him, "Father, may I write a scroll in your name, just one? I need to…practice, yes?"

"Ha! You may, and give it to ONE individual, whoever you like… think carefully, and long term. This will be your test I suppose as well as my gift. Though, true, seven will be better than six anyway, sounds more magicky."

"Thank you, father," And she hugged him them, "Is magicky a word?"

"It is now," He grumphed.

"Right." And another scroll appeared with the writings on it that were not of the god of magic's choosing though it bore his handwriting, and …Arcanica went to distribute the Codes of Ethos Arcantum!

Gift to Civilization: Codes of behavior and philosophies for Magical use!

Our world will not be boring-You're Welcome!

Interference: A safeguard, any other God who (By Intent, Design, action or proxy) harms, captures, kills, mind controls or corrupts Arcania will find the casters among their chosen people cut off from using magic or magic  items unless they forswear said other God/Goddess.

And I'm done. Sorry for the last minute stuff.

That's going to be tricky with all the interbreeding.  

"Why can't I use magic?"

"You're a dwarf."

"What? No I'm not. I don't even have a beard."

"1/32, on your mother's side."

"Oh. Dangit!"

Yeah, but as soon as 32/32ths sincerely forswears the god that done Arcania wrong then off the hook

Hermit is the only one who specifically stated that I was ribbing off Athena. Congrats.

No one else felt the need to state the obvious.

Yeah, that's kind of where I was. I recognized it early on and made a mental note to avoid those classical regimes, which I had looked up and thought about some three-four years back when doing my pantheon generator.

FWIW, in RL pantheons, there's much more cross-talk and overlapping of domains than what we have here, even within a single pantheon. I admit I picked my first two things (Trickster and Health & Healing) first because those were most likely to be picked by others. The rest was just avoiding the obvious and going for novelty ... and importance (in my own eyes, anyway). I did have to go silent for several days during my end-of-term grading-frenzy, but it came out OK in the end.

I think we need all to go down to Alcohol Guy's Celestial Biergarden and have a big celebration on a job well done.

EDIT: I'll bring the krill.

I offered Pariah one of the picks if he guessed right so it kind of mattered

I didn't know you were serious....

And it wouldn't have mattered if I had. You were doing a great job, and I wasn't about to interfere.

And Arcania  did return to her father, the God of Magic aka Faserip Augustus Vance, and did say, "Father, the people of the world wonder why you have not given a gift to civilization."

The God of Magic had been working on the important question of how many angels fit on the head of a pin. This was crucial….for some reason. And he glowered, "They what?"

"Other Gods have given them gifts like Agriculture, Mithril, or the arts… so they were wondering, maybe you could squeeze something out? Something to soften their lives and comfort them?"

'SQUEEZE.SOMETHING.OUT?" Faserip huffed, "They have the wonders of dreams and nightmares, the uncertainly of luck to keep them from getting bored, and abrupt changes! All thanks to me, nevermind MAGIC  force that none but I will ever fully understand!"

"Apparently uncertainty is making them skittish," She coughed, "And you do offer a lot of that."

"There are a half dozen other gods practically tucking them in at night and asking them if they want a drink of water. If it weren't for gods like me offering them a challenge, those slugabeds would be… damn it, I remember when some of those races thought bathing caused illness!

Filthy bastards had to change from that or the odor alone would have had the lot of us smiting," Faserip grumbled.

"Well, thank whichever of you got them to bathe more often," She wrinkled her nose, "But you have wizards, witches, magi, sorcerers and any number of other variants of magician out there. Some of them run amok….usually put down by some hero or army eventually, and a few help. Folks don't know what to think."

"Well, you walk up to a fellow you know to be capable of magic, get to know them, say hi like any other person, of course," Faserip snorted, "If your wife ends up wearing a love slave outfit for his amusement while you hop around in your new frog suit, he was probably one of the bad ones. Duh!"

His daughter suggested, "I was thinking, that maybe… you could induce some codes of conduct beyond the 'respect magic' and 'don't abuse' magic angle you have me running around for?"

"Sounds boring,  and like you're trying to get out of work," He said.

"It might make the people love you, and idealize you more," She suggested, "And it wouldn't just save me some work, but have them tend to their own more. Less hassle, still get the credit."

"How shallow a god do you think your father is?" The God of Magic blinked.

"Do you have mind reading or truth magics up now?" She asked.

"No…"

"Then I don't think you're shallow vain or spiteful at all, father" She dimpled, "And I just want the people to remember you fondly."

"Hmmm… fine," he said pulling out six indestructible scrolls and wrote on them with the Ink indelible.

"Take each of these scrolls to a different part of the world where there is a guild, school, or magoracracy, and tell each one that THIS is the code magic users should live by. And I will reward them for doing so."

Arcania opened the first one up, "Oh, I like this, it's like a code of chivalry for them; we could have knightly orders only with magic instead of swords and such."

"I don't have to use divination to see that coming, yes."

She opened another, smiled and then blinked and read again, "Father, there's… a problem."

"What problem?"

"This one says….. 'Magic shall be used to light the way for the people'…. This one says in the same spot 'Magic shall be used to lead the way for the people'… and this third scroll says 'lend'… and the others say more of the same but are different in OTHER parts of the codes…. 'Improve the world' here, because 'transform the world' there, and over here, it says 'raise your wands to honor me and receive my blessing on the 13th day of every month when the moon is nigh' but here, in this 6th scroll it says 'when the moon is high', and here it says 'raise your staff' not wand, and here's one that says rod. Some don't even mention honoring you but honoring Magic or themselves…Father, even if you translate these all to tradespeak one might get different variations." She blinked.

"Minor changes," He shrugged.

"When one group meets the other, each is going to think the other is doing it wrong!"

"Probably, they were going to anyway, I'm just setting a great experiment in motion."

"They'll argue all the time, or maybe even kill each other!"

"Or they'll make peace, or merge, or split off…or diversify… or decide the laws are bunk. It'll it will make them think, eventually. They'll have to question for themselves what philosophy they want to live by. In the mean time, some good will come of it too. There are rules in those scrolls about wizards dueling away from innocents, suggestions for helping their fellow magically talented who are hunted by the superstitious, and so on. It's up to them what they make of this, it can either make them true paragons of magical virtue, sheep in wizards clothing, or self righteous brutes. And we shall , over time, see which philosophy was meant to flourish."

"Well, no one can say you're boring I suppose," Her daughter blinked at the scrolls, "And the mundanes?"

"Let the word be set through the lands by dreams and heralds, I, Faserip Augustus Vance, have provided structure to the magic users of the world! They'll rejoice of course, poor saps."

"They'll rejoice?"

"Each group of mundanes is going to think their wizards got the 'one true way' as well. That'll set them at ease. People want certainty, they want security, and far too many times they'll lay their own children on the proverbial altar to get it. This will be learning experience for them too. I give them opportunity, but I also place obstacles before them to reach the rewards. I give them magic, but it cuts as well as serves. Even gods might die, daughter, for all we know of this world. When it does, Magic itself will continue without me. I want them ready to wield it without me having learned lessons so they don't, won't need me any more. I crave their worship true, but I need them to be prepared and stand strong on their own, either individually or collectively. Somewhere between my need for their love and my need for them to grow, I think you'll find where my actions lay. As for you, Arcania, perhaps they will grow to love you more than I, and that is well. Perhaps you will pick up more burdens when you are truly your own…and I hope you think on your old father well despite the frustration he causes you. Would you like me to deliver the scrolls?"

"I…" She looked at him, "Father, may I write a scroll in your name, just one? I need to…practice, yes?"

"Ha! You may, and give it to ONE individual, whoever you like… think carefully, and long term. This will be your test I suppose as well as my gift. Though, true, seven will be better than six anyway, sounds more magicky."

"Thank you, father," And she hugged him them, "Is magicky a word?"

"It is now," He grumphed.

"Right." And another scroll appeared with the writings on it that were not of the god of magic's choosing though it bore his handwriting, and …Arcanica went to distribute the Codes of Ethos Arcantum!

Gift to Civilization: Codes of behavior and philosophies for Magical use!

Our world will not be boring-You're Welcome!

Again I call for Hermit to write his next big story on this draft

CES

• 5 months later...

And FWIW, I'm no Worldmaker, but all this could totally be turned into a viable fantasy world setting.  The question is the amount of work involved, and whether it would represent a significant improvement over other published settings.  What I write up for my own personal use is orders of magnitude different than something I'd write up for public dissemination, I know that.