Thor: Ragnarok spoiler thread

Bazza

3 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

The idea is that as an AI he's sinless and worthy.  Never done bad things, has no ill will toward anyone, noble etc.

Plus yrs of service to another and putting his (ego) needs above its own. 

I tend to think his years as Jarvis are a big part of what made the difference between Vision and Ultron. They both had all the knowledge in the world, but Ultron knew humanity only in the abstract, as data. Jarvis had much more direct experience with people, and that gave Vision a deeper understanding of us.

8 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I thought Hela would have the Soul Stone, it would explain why she was so godawfully powerful, far beyond every other Asgardian.  But no, she just... was.

There's the theory that the Eternal Flame is the Soul Stone. Hela scooped some up to reanimate Fenrir and the warriors, and it resurrected/maximized Surtur.

There's also the (more compelling, I think) theory that the Soul Stone is in Wakanda, and that's how the heart-shaped flower ritual permits speaking with the souls of Wakandans who have passed on, and the reason for Thanos' attack on Wakanda in Infinity War.

That's the problem with how they've set up the Marvel Cinematic Universe so far.  Everything with any real power is a soul stone or at least can reasonably be connected to one by speculation.  Vision wasn't made by a genius, he's got a power stone!  The Eye of Agamotto isn't a powerful magical item from ancient myth, its a power stone!  Its kind of a limiting factor.  I get wanting to tie it together and create a continuity but that's definitely a problem for future stories and well-established characters in the universe.

2 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

That's the problem with how they've set up the Marvel Cinematic Universe so far.  Everything with any real power is a soul stone or at least can reasonably be connected to one by speculation.  Vision wasn't made by a genius, he's got a power stone!  The Eye of Agamotto isn't a powerful magical item from ancient myth, its a power stone!  Its kind of a limiting factor.  I get wanting to tie it together and create a continuity but that's definitely a problem for future stories and well-established characters in the universe.

You miss the Casket of Infinite Winters which has real power and not an Infinity Stone. Ditto Mjolnir. Ditto Eternal Flame. Ditto Odin's Spear.

But it like you it makes me think to weave a continuity that ties loose strands together. Last Friday I thought about exactly this for four hours. 

On 3/23/2018 at 1:05 PM, Lord Liaden said:

Except that incident was immediately followed by Thor creating a hurricane under New York harbor to push and hold back all the water rushing in to fill where Manhattan had been, right to the shore line, so his fellow Avengers could evacuate people from the flooded underground road and subway tunnels.

Certainly an impressive feat, and one that should have given the rest of the Avengers and anyone else witnessing it chills. But I think lifting that volume of solid rock to orbit while simultaneously keeping the air in with a force field dwarfs it in terms of the energy required. Also note that Thor said he was tiring out from the effort, whereas Terrax didn't seem to be.

I do think Odin (along with his fellow skyfather gods) is a tier above the rough power level of the various heralds (and Thor). In the not too distant past he took on Galactus in a one-on-one fight, though I think the latter was shown to clearly have the advantage.