Thor: Ragnarok spoiler thread

Bazza

Musing:

And been watching Thor again. A bit here and there. A qtr of the way through over the past two nights. 

It really is the best.

I thought that Hela reminded me of Thor as a vain, arrogant, cruel, boy whose actions of revenge broke a truce, a peace, and started a war. 

Thor 1 was about Thor learning responsibility and humility. The beginnings of  becoming King.

Thor 2 was about Thor's leadership, his agency, and learning from its mistakes (gave WMD called Aether to enemy). 

Thor 3 was fulfilling Thor 1's promise and becoming King. 

Also in Thor 1-3, Thor encounters the big events in Asgard's history, and faces a choice. Either repeat the previous actions for a similar outcome or find a better solution. 

That Thor finds a better solution, learns the lessons, is why Thor and the people of Asgard escaped Ragnarok thus making Thor a better king & Allfather than Odin. 

I would also go with Hela. Flashy magic on the level of Asgardian godpowers were simply not part of Tolkien's mythos. The elves were really good at making things, and they were incredible warriors, but few of them would have been able to stand toe-to-toe with an Asgardian god/goddess. The greatest army to ever set foot on Beleriand, the vaunted Host of the Valar, fell back when just one dragon (Ancalagon the Black) was set loose upon them from Angband. Elves are strong, but few would be able to stand against Hela, Galadriel among them, who is never shown to have any fighting prowess (magical or otherwise) whatsoever.

As for the elven rings of power, Galadriel continuously used her ring after the fall of Sauron at the end of the Second Age, but Nenya exhibited little in the way of offensive power. It was used primarily to preserve Lorien's agelessness and beauty. It is hinted that it also helped "ward off" enemies of the Elves, but that seems to have manifested in the form of creating confusion and disorientation to those who entered Lorien without Galadriel's permission. It would not have been terribly useful in an open confrontation against Hela.

The more interesting question would be how Galadriel with the One Ring would fare against Hela, but that is difficult to assess since Tolkien sheds little light on exactly what Galadriel would be able to do with it (her very dramatic, but vague pronouncements notwithstanding).

3 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Hard to know what she could do, since they were all really careful not to use their powers much for fear of disrupting the world or drawing notice.  And they refused to use their rings out of fear of being corrupted.

Galadriel went toe-to-toe with Sauron in the Hobbit films (which are arguably not canon but still).  I don’t remember too many specifics but I think she did have a very impressive energy shield that might have been able to deflect any number of flying swords or photon torpedoes. At least until she ran out of END. 

I’d give Hela vs. Sauron to Sauron, just because he seems to be a desolid floating energy RKA, and Hela doesn’t strike me as having a super high ED. 

Depends on whether or not Hela knows that all she needs to do to defeat Sauron is chop off the finger wearing the One Ring. A storm of magic blades should do the trick. After all, Isuldir only needed one shattered sword to do the deed.

The greatest army to ever set foot on Beleriand, the vaunted Host of the Valar, fell back when just one dragon (Ancalagon the Black) was set loose upon them from Angband.

Um just for the record Ancalagon isn't "just one dragon."  You saw how big Smaug was in the Hobbit movie right?  He was a little exaggerated but he was pretty big... right?

I won't post it here because it is huge, but check out this comparison link

Ancalagon was like a mountain on wings.  When he fell to the earth and died, it caused a continent-wide change in terrain.  He would stand astride mountains.  Remember how big Surtur was?  That's not even a snack to this thing.  They ran because it was like trying to kill a planet.

So that's not really any indication of their weakness or inability.