Thor: Ragnarok spoiler thread

Bazza

That was from Comicon?

To kill spoilers on that they avoided showing any eye damage to Thor in material released prior to the movie, including the struggle with Hela on the balcony ("What were YOU the God of again...?").

If only they'd done the same for Mjolnir getting crushed and Thor's reaction to seeing Hulk in the Arena. Those were meant to be Wham! moments but were totally spoiled in the trailer. Heck, you could have still shown Thor and Hulk smacking each other around and Hela catching the hammer.

• 3 months later...

I finally got around to seeing this movie. It was fun, but not as engaging as I thought it might be. It was a colorful piece of fluff, which isn't a bad thing, but I'm not sure I'll be thinking about it much after today.

I like that Thor's lightning powers are now inherent rather than limited by a focus. I mean, don't get me wrong, I have always been a big fan of Mjolnir. But I really like this development for the Thor character for some reason.

Now, if I was the GM and someone presented me with a character whose concept was "Mistress of Death", I would probably ask them to change the sfx on their RKA from "materializes swords" to "death gaze". I loved Cate in the role of Hela, but her power set was just...odd.

And as for the theory that Thor draws his power from the Asgardian people, well, the events of Infinity War will put that to the test I think.

"Hela is primarily based on her comic version (the Norse goddess of death and apocalypse), but incorporates traits from Thor's enemy Gorr the God Butcher (an enemy who wields a magic sword and can create constructs) and Thor's sister Angela (a rival to Thor)."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3501632/trivia?tab=tr&item=tr3521393

4 hours ago, zslane said:

I finally got around to seeing this movie. It was fun, but not as engaging as I thought it might be. It was a colorful piece of fluff, which isn't a bad thing, but I'm not sure I'll be thinking about it much after today.

I like that Thor's lightning powers are now inherent rather than limited by a focus. I mean, don't get me wrong, I have always been a big fan of Mjolnir. But I really like this development for the Thor character for some reason.

Now, if I was the GM and someone presented me with a character whose concept was "Mistress of Death", I would probably ask them to change the sfx on their RKA from "materializes swords" to "death gaze". I loved Cate in the role of Hela, but her power set was just...odd.

And as for the theory that Thor draws his power from the Asgardian people, well, the events of Infinity War will put that to the test I think.

At least he did’t drink Mjolnir as a milkshake

I can't quite work out how Hela got so powerful though.  I mean, even Odin wasn't that powerful, and there really was no explanation.  I was hoping she'd have the last soul stone and that explained her crushing Mjolnir like a snowball but no, she just... could.  How'd they imprison her to begin with??

And as noted above: if Hela's power comes from Asgard, and the people are Asgard, how did blowing the city up help?

It didn't, really. Those questions confused me too. 

Thor gets his godhood/power from Asgard. Hela gets her power from Asgard. 

Asgard is twofold -- a place and a people. This is the only way I can make sense of it. Hela gets her unlimited power from Asgard the place. Thor gets his power from Asgard the people. 

If Asgard is a people, then Thor continues to be God of Thunder. If Asgard is a place, then destroying it makes Thor (and Hela) powerless. 

This never really satisfactory explained in the film.