2019-2020 NFL Thread

Old Man

I have seen so much speculation about whether Brady is going to test the waters of free agency, and whether that would be a good thing or not (the general talking-head consensus is that he should hang it up, but I doubt Brady is listening to them -- I'm not sure why I do). More importantly, I am wondering if it may be time for the Pats to blow up this team and start over, on the assumption that the Hoodie can lead a rebuilding team into contention much more rapidly than any other coach in football?

Hard to gauge, if Brady is washed up.  Since he didn't have much to work with other than White and Edelman, and Edelman was playing injured the last few weeks.  All we know for sure is Brady isn't a QB who can make mediocre talent good, like in his prime.

Then again, I thought Eli Manning if put in Chicago this year, with their defensive talent, might have won then a couple extra games, that Trubisky let slip away, which if not put them in the playoffs, would have put them within range to fight for it, rather than on the life support that it was going into the last month of the season.  

I have seen solid arguments that the "blow it up now and rebuild" process isn't something any team, except maybe the very dregs bottom one or two, should set in motion now.  Those hinge on the fact that the CBA expires after the 2020 season, so important aspects of contract structure are not yet known.  I haven't paid enough attention to guess how contentious hammering out the next CBA is going to be.

Heard Tavaigaloa is indeed coming out this year.  Not sure, if that is a good idea, he could possibly prove over a 2nd half of a college season to be healthy and get that Top 5 pick.

Then again, if he can still be in the top 15-20 picks it isn't too big a deal.  And if it is a year plus issue rather than the 6 months expected, it would mean a wasted year.  Though, I would hope if I was him, a team takes without much intention to start him till year 2.  To give him time, to get back to full strength, rather than rushing back to be franchise savior.  It may have been 30 years ago, but I still got too many Bo Jackson memories to really expect him to be ready come summer.

49ers are the last team left I hate, so they will win it all.  I would bet on it, but that would have me invested in them winning, which would mean they would lose.

The only road team I give much chance this week is Seattle.  Green Bay hasn't seemed played as well as their record. And I wouldn't be surprised to see that foundation crumble on them.